+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does OHIP track eligibility for each person?

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Hi everyone.
I got my PR card in Feb 2020, and I'm flying to Toronto for about a month in August.
I won't be settle down yet: I'm planning on flying back to Detroit in early September.
I'll be moving to Windsor, ON later in the year, so even if I apply for OHIP in August, I'll lose eligibility...

Here are my questions:
1. Because the 90-day requirement is lifted, that means that I can apply for OHIP when I fly in August? Even if I haven't established residence yet?
2. If #1 is possible, will my OHIP be automatically cancelled if I leave Canada for about 2 to 3 months?
3. Will I be eligible for OHIP again if it gets cancelled?

OR

Should I just look for a private insurance for the month of August that I'll be in Toronto?
If anyone has any recommendations about insurance companies, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone.
I got my PR card in Feb 2020, and I'm flying to Toronto for about a month in August.
I won't be settle down yet: I'm planning on flying back to Detroit in early September.
I'll be moving to Windsor, ON later in the year, so even if I apply for OHIP in August, I'll lose eligibility...

Here are my questions:
1. Because the 90-day requirement is lifted, that means that I can apply for OHIP when I fly in August? Even if I haven't established residence yet?
2. If #1 is possible, will my OHIP be automatically cancelled if I leave Canada for about 2 to 3 months?

OR

Should I just look for a private insurance for the month of August that I'll be in Toronto?

Thanks,
1. No you won’t qualify for OHIP since you won’t meet the OHIP residency requirements. You need to be in Ontario for the the first 5 out of 6 months and 6 months out of the year. You also aren’t making Ontario your permanent residence. If you apply knowing you aren’t going to meet the OHIP Residency requirements that’s OHIP fraud.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi everyone.

Here are my questions:

OR

Thanks,
3 months from the day you move to Ontario was the eligibility earlier. Now they waive it. So you just get your eligibility from day one. So i dont think there is any gap you should worry.

To maintain eligibility, its a different story which is not altered as far as i know. So both(start of coverage date and coverage maintenance) are 2 different things:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1. No you won’t qualify for OHIP since you won’t meet the OHIP residency requirements. You need to be in Ontario for the the first 5 out of 6 months and 6 months out of the year. You also aren’t making Ontario your permanent residence. If you apply knowing you aren’t going to meet the OHIP Residency requirements that’s OHIP fraud.
How come one can maintain 5 months before moving into the province/country. So 6 months period is not applicable for him.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
3 months from the day you move to Ontario was the eligibility earlier. Now they waive it. So you just get your eligibility from day one. So i dont think there is any gap you should worry.

To maintain eligibility, its a different story which is not altered as far as i know. So both(start of coverage date and coverage maintenance) are 2 different things:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
Unless someone can meet the residency requirements for OHIP they don’t qualify for OHIP and should not apply. Those doing short landings generally don’t qualify for OHIP unless they are returning to Canada within the month. Yes you should get private travel insurance for your 1 month stay.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Unless someone can meet the residency requirements for OHIP they don’t qualify for OHIP and should not apply. Those doing short landings generally don’t qualify for OHIP unless they are returning to Canada within the month. Yes you should get private travel insurance for your 1 month stay.
Correct but op is eligible from the day of permanent move. If it was short duration of 1 month, it would be anyway covered by US insurance. Accidents will be covered by auto insurance. I think its manageable.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Correct but op is eligible from the day of permanent move. If it was short duration of 1 month, it would be anyway covered by US insurance. Accidents will be covered by auto insurance. I think its manageable.
If you aren’t planning on meeting the RO for OHIP you don’t qualify.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks for the discussion, @canuck78 and @harirajmohan
I got the gist.

I'll just look for traveler's insurance in the US before flying out the Toronto.

Something I don't quite understand about WHEN to apply for OHIP:
there's the 3-month requirement and the 6 month residency requirement.

If I move PERMANENTLY to Windsor, ON and commute to Detroit everyday for work in November, when should I apply for OHIP?
3 months or 6 months after moving to Windsor?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks for the discussion, @canuck78 and @harirajmohan
I got the gist.

I'll just look for traveler's insurance in the US before flying out the Toronto.

Something I don't quite understand about WHEN to apply for OHIP:
there's the 3-month requirement and the 6 month residency requirement.

1. If I move PERMANENTLY to Windsor, ON and commute to Detroit everyday for work in November, when should I apply for OHIP?
3 months or 6 months after moving to Windsor?
1. I moved on Dec 31st and started commuting. I applied for OHIP on Dec 31st and i was given the card from March 30th due to that 3 months waiting period.
From the day one, i am commuting. So it doesnt matter if you are commuting or not, it needs to be a primary home, thats all it matters.
So now they removed this waiting period, you would be eligible to get coverage from day 1. So from day 1 they will give you a temporary health card number to start using till you get your card which we did not get because of waiting period earlier.

6 month residency in the first year from the day you move to the province. So its not applicable for you on day 1 but its applicable in 6 months after you move hence you should be planning to stay in province for the next 6 months but it does not mean that you cant take a weekend trips or vacation. Just move and live, however you moved to a new apartment and started living normally, nothing much to worry about ohip(with ontario removed waiting period, one less thing to worry about) as you have few other things to worry about like car import etc.
"be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province "

Check with your US insurance on whats covered in Canada before you spend on travel insurance(of course travel insurance has lot of flexibility but some US insurance do cover sufficient for short trips).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. I moved on Dec 31st and started commuting. I applied for OHIP on Dec 31st and i was given the card from March 30th due to that 3 months waiting period.
From the day one, i am commuting. So it doesnt matter if you are commuting or not, it needs to be a primary home, thats all it matters.
So now they removed this waiting period, you would be eligible to get coverage from day 1. So from day 1 they will give you a temporary health card number to start using till you get your card which we did not get because of waiting period earlier.

6 month residency in the first year from the day you move to the province. So its not applicable for you on day 1 but its applicable in 6 months after you move hence you should be planning to stay in province for the next 6 months but it does not mean that you cant take a weekend trips or vacation. Just move and live, however you moved to a new apartment and started living normally, nothing much to worry about ohip(with ontario removed waiting period, one less thing to worry about) as you have few other things to worry about like car import etc.
"be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province "

Check with your US insurance on whats covered in Canada before you spend on travel insurance(of course travel insurance has lot of flexibility but some US insurance do cover sufficient for short trips).
For susequent years you need to be in Ontario for 7 months out of the year to qualify for OHIP.

Reactions: harirajmohan