Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2014
LANDED..........
CORP received 5/8/2014 Landed 30/08/2014
screech339 said:
And your point is? Montreal has beaten Boston 3 : 1. :p
No point.....just missing not having Hockey people to watch games with here in the South..

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
screech339 said:
Mountain Dew in US has caffeine.

Mountain Dew in Canada has no caffeine. Citrus drinks are not allowed to have any caffeine in it. Mountain Dew is considered to be a citrus drink.
Just wanted to point out that this WAS true but is no longer.

Canada now sells Mountain Dew "Citrus Charge" and it contains caffeine. I assume the "Citrus Charge" was to differentiate it from the original, but you can no longer get the original. There is caffeine-free Citrus Charge but it is (deliberately, I feel) very hard to find.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Matt the Aussie said:
Just wanted to point out that this WAS true but is no longer.

Canada now sells Mountain Dew "Citrus Charge" and it contains caffeine. I assume the "Citrus Charge" was to differentiate it from the original, but you can no longer get the original. There is caffeine-free Citrus Charge but it is (deliberately, I feel) very hard to find.
Why on gods little acre would ANYONE choose to buy Mt. Dew if NOT for the immediate charge you get from all the juice that stuff has flowing in it? LOL

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
Some of us just like the taste of citrus I guess :p

jjoon

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Toronto & San Francisco
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mailed 04-05, Deliv 09-05-2014
AOR Received.
xx-xx-2014
File Transfer...
xx-xx-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
xx-xx-2014 not sure, the COPR caught me by surprise!
definitely ,the online shopping... i do everything online (ebay, amazon) in US, and there's so little available online in canada! i have to wait til I'm heading back there for a visit, and rack up the deliveries to my california address, and purposely underpack so I can lug the stuff back here lol!

several times I've asked for the restroom and been given a blank stare, repeated myself, then they say "oh you mean the washroom?"...

"in canada everyone's sorry" i love that lol
case in point: i'm at shoppers (downtown toronto, big city, people in a hurry, right?)... confused by the vitamins aisle (have to learn the Canadian brands), and after (quite) a while I subliminally realize someone's nearby... I look over my shoulder and a middle aged lady is standing a polite 8 feet away from me, eyes down, pull-cart behind her... waiting. For. me. to. be. done. Not pushing past me, not even saying "excuse me" so I step aside and she can get by... not even taking a different aisle! just... waiting. Wow. You folks are SO nice - love it.

On the flip side, I have to tweeze my (Canadian) husband's real movie/dinner/travel/etc preferences out of him.

Speaking of husbands, men here seem to do the European sitting-with-legs-crossed thing much more than Americans men.

People generally dress better here. I mean a little more chic, a little more effort, more pulled together, less track-suit/yogawear/juicy couture sweat outfits going on.

news/sports/anything commentatory on TV are less in your face and loud. during the US recent presidential election, we kept switching from CNN to CBC and CNN was SO flashy and loud in comparison!

i got to experience seasons again - was in perma-spring in san francisco, i know rough, huh? actually it was hard to go 30 years without a real (lazy, hazy hot) summer. in SF, you know you'll be somewhat warm and gray.cold/windy at some point all in same day. in toronto in july, i get to waltz down to the cafe in a sundress and flip flops, sip wine on a patio at 11 pm, it's like being on the french riviera! sort of lol. i can do that mayb 1-2 days out of the year in san francisco.

took a while to get used to some of the linguistic differences (project: PROE-ject (Can) vs PRAW-ject (US)), Shedjwool vs SKedjual. And i can NEVER remember to say ZED! :p

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
jjoon said:
"in canada everyone's sorry" i love that lol
case in point: i'm at shoppers (downtown toronto, big city, people in a hurry, right?)... confused by the vitamins aisle (have to learn the Canadian brands), and after (quite) a while I subliminally realize someone's nearby... I look over my shoulder and a middle aged lady is standing a polite 8 feet away from me, eyes down, pull-cart behind her... waiting. For. me. to. be. done. Not pushing past me, not even saying "excuse me" so I step aside and she can get by... not even taking a different aisle! just... waiting. Wow. You folks are SO nice - love it.
Yeah, I so definitely DO NOT live in Canada! :-D Not saying people here are rude. I find them to be quite nice. They just have different ideas of personal space.

jjoon

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Toronto & San Francisco
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mailed 04-05, Deliv 09-05-2014
AOR Received.
xx-xx-2014
File Transfer...
xx-xx-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
xx-xx-2014 not sure, the COPR caught me by surprise!
QuebecOkie said:
Yeah, I so definitely DO NOT live in Canada! :-D Not saying people here are rude. I find them to be quite nice. They just have different ideas of personal space.
LOL! I know, it's all generalizations, and subcultures vary greatly.... just today a Chinese driver jumped the queue in the parking lot while my Canadian husband just quietly let her in but fumed and called her rude. Being half-persian I kind of get her, and said she's not rude she's assuming you'd defend your space if you wanted to. The personal space difference bw cultures is very interesting. When I first moved to the States from Iran I found people stepping away from me bc I talked too close to them. Now I step back from newly arrived Iranians here, while noticing my Canadian friends sometimes step back from me!

PS - thinking further re a bunch of posts about prices... still in sticker shock, too, especially with eating out, and gas, HST, etc... except when I'm getting my husband's medications... wow the pharma companies are SHAFTING the US consumer... here with the single payer system, they have less negotiating power, so they charge waaaay less for the same exact medication (cash price not comparing insurances etc.) seems wrong to have something so vital be so commercialized.

but, i don't know how it would all play out if you compared cost of insurance+out of pocket med or rx costs in US vs same here + "cost" of medical care in form of taxes.

i do know that in US a few years back I got sick and couldn't work, and was SOOL for medical care, had to lie to get insurance, forego treatment, etc. Here there's a net under you. If you get too sick to work, you still can get treatment (just might have a wait list!) It's changed with obamacare now everyone can get insured there, and if too sick to work and earn much, you get subsidies for your premiums and your out of pocket costs. We'll see how that works out in the end tho!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
yeah, Canada is huge and like the US you'll see vast differences from region to region. Also many Canadians outside Toronto consider Toronto the anomaly than the norm when thinking of Canada. Kind of like how people will say NYC is the exception and not the norm of the USA.

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
Something I noticed when I go to see the hubby is the credit card machines servers bring to you to pay your bill in a restuarant. In the states you get a bill, you give them your card, it's run and you sign it/fill out tip at your leisure. In Canada they bring the machine and wait there while you fill it out and tip them right there. Can't say I'm a fan of it and since I've only been up in Atlantic Canada not sure if it is that way around the rest of the country. Something I will have to get used too.

Also it seems Visa Debit/Check cards aren't very common. Hubby has a card with a chip in it and tied to his bank, but no Visa/Mastercard affiliation.

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
That used to be the case in canada, however as of march 2012 (if I remember correctly) you have to put ur pin to use ur credit card! Its no longer available to have themswipe ur card and make u sign for it. It can be done but its not allowed due to snew regulations.
Florida Bear said:
Something I noticed when I go to see the hubby is the credit card machines servers bring to you to pay your bill in a restuarant. In the states you get a bill, you give them your card, it's run and you sign it/fill out tip at your leisure. In Canada they bring the machine and wait there while you fill it out and tip them right there. Can't say I'm a fan of it and since I've only been up in Atlantic Canada not sure if it is that way around the rest of the country. Something I will have to get used too.

Also it seems Visa Debit/Check cards aren't very common. Hubby has a card with a chip in it and tied to his bank, but no Visa/Mastercard affiliation.

MapleLeafBride

Dec 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2013
Doc's Request.
06-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-01-2014
File Transfer...
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014
LANDED..........
25-08-2014
Florida Bear said:

That's funny! I prefer them bringing the machine to me compared to when I'm in the US with my hubby and have to fill it out by hand. It feels more secure to me to have it with me at all times and to use the pin. The hubby also likes that the tip comes out of his account right away when using the machine instead of it taking a few days to clear when he writes it by hand. And I think it's a Canadian thing, as I'm located in central Ontario.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Actually, this is an American thing -- America is basically the last developed country in the world that doesn't use PIN numbers on credit cards.

MapleLeafBride

Dec 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2013
Doc's Request.
06-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-01-2014
File Transfer...
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014
LANDED..........
25-08-2014
on-hold said:
Actually, this is an American thing -- America is basically the last developed country in the world that doesn't use PIN numbers on credit cards.
???
My comment was in reference to Florida Bear's remark about him not being sure if the machine was an Atlantic Canada thing. I was responding it happens in Central Ontario, too.

Tenn2NS

May 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2012
Doc's Request.
08-03-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2012
Med's Request
05-05-2014 (first one expired)
Yeah that one was a rude awakening for me (or should I say, sleepening?) In Nova Scotia they are selling a "Citrus charge" version which does have caffeine. The nearest Tim's is 25 kms away so sometimes it's my best option.

I have yet to find Cherry flavored Pop Tarts in Canada. What's up with that? My mom ships me a box or two every few months. On the plus side though, I do see Lime Crush up here. I've seen it in the US but it is very rare.

screech339 said:
Mountain Dew in US has caffeine.

Mountain Dew in Canada has no caffeine. Citrus drinks are not allowed to have any caffeine in it. Mountain Dew is considered to be a citrus drink.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tenn2NS said:
Yeah that one was a rude awakening for me (or should I say, sleepening?) In Nova Scotia they are selling a "Citrus charge" version which does have caffeine. The nearest Tim's is 25 kms away so sometimes it's my best option.

I have yet to find Cherry flavored Pop Tarts in Canada. What's up with that? My mom ships me a box or two every few months. On the plus side though, I do see Lime Crush up here. I've seen it in the US but it is very rare.
Just curious...what part of TN are you from? My family tree is `planted' in TN and KY.

(which explains a lot)!