+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how do i know my work permit open or not?

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Hi I received my passport back from the embassy with a temporary work visa.
It says category W-1; worker.
Type is Imm1442WP

While applying, CIC suggested that I am eligible for open work permit and I applied according to that.
I did not submit LMO

I applied for open work permit but it does not say anything in the visa. Do I get the open work permit paper at the border ?
Can anyone please provide their inputs. I really appreciate your inputs.
Thanks.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
If you did not provide an LMO. (Which is where it is stated what job you can only work for.) Then the permit you will get will probably be open.
Yes they will give you the actual paper permit at the border or the entry officer at the airport.

Most open work permits still have conditions, like not allowed to work in healthcare or child care, or in sex shops, massage parlors etc.
They may give you those restrictions depending on your situtation.

But basically you can work any jobs with any employer.

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Dear marsiangal,
Thank you for your inputs. I also think the same that as I did not submit LMO i should get open work permit. I really appreciate your help.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Only people in certain situations qualify for an open work permit, as explained here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=177&t=17. There is no mention of postdoctoral fellowships or LMO-exempt jobs.

You've been offered a Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Quebec university. You've applied for a work permit based on that specific position at that specific university, as stated on the letter of invitation or offer letter from the university, so you should be issued a closed work permit for that position.

Your wife qualifies for an open work permit.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Let me check with some one in similar situation i.e. he was offered a Post Doc in a university in Ontario and he is from Islamabad, Pak.

He did not require an LMO, so i would ask about his work permit type.

In any case, when you submit application, you choose the work permit type. There is no option stating "closed", but you specify "other" in work permit type for "closed" work permit in IMM1295E and then latter you mention your employer details.

I did all this and attached my job offer and it was for a closed work permit.

Of course that for my spouse was open work permit and i chose the type "Open" in her IMM1295E form and wrote "not applicable" in employer details.

When i actually landed at the airport, the work permit paper that i was issued (and preferably should be stapled in your passport) states it clearly i.e. it says

1) Not authorized to work for any employer except <employer name>
2) Not authorized to work in any other profession or study
3) Not authorized to work in any other location except specified (Montreal for me)

So in case you are issued an open work permit, all of the above should be not be like this.

I will follow up with my friend who also came on a post doc and let you know of his work permit type.

For now, all i know is, he didn't need an LMO.

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Hi canuck_in_uk and FKL,
Thank you for your help and inputs.
I remember and checked my submitted application form, and in my IMM1295 form I clearly selected open work permit (for the question what type of work permit you are applying for?). I agree with FKL that there is no option of selecting "closed work permit" there is "other"; "open WP"; Exemption from LMO"; "LMO opinion stream" and "international experience class WP" and "live-in caregiver WP".
I chose Open work permit. As I didnt have LMO, I needed to submit IMM5658E form (employer declaration form). I am planning to go to the border next week (5 hr drive from my place) to get the permit (although I will be moving to Canada to start my job by the end of March with my family and stuff). I will know in few days.
I sincerely I appreciate your help and inputs.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
No Problem, my pleasure - its Montreal - though i occasionally go to Ottawa / Gatineau where my head office is.

Feel free to ask any questions you have specific to the city as well.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
saleemjosh said:
I remember and checked my submitted application form, and in my IMM1295 form I clearly selected open work permit (for the question what type of work permit you are applying for?). I agree with FKL that there is no option of selecting "closed work permit" there is "other"; "open WP"; Exemption from LMO"; "LMO opinion stream" and "international experience class WP" and "live-in caregiver WP".
I chose Open work permit. As I didnt have LMO, I needed to submit IMM5658E form (employer declaration form).
Hi

Though they don't state "closed", there are actually 2 options for a closed work permit: "Labour Market Opinion Stream" (for those with a job offer with a positive LMO) and "Exemption from Labour Market Opinion" (those with a job offer not requiring an LMO). The correct selection for you was the latter, "Exemption from LMO".

Open work permits don't require employer details, location of employment, job title, offer letter, employer declaration etc.. Only closed work permits require that information.

Good luck at the border, enjoy the drive :)

Anonymus1

Nov 20, 2016
Hello,

I did PhD from McGill and applied for a Post-graduate work permit. The permit says: Employer-Any
Employment location: Unknown. Occupation : Any

Can someone tell me if my workpermit is open or closed?

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Anonymus1 said:
Hello,

I did PhD from McGill and applied for a Post-graduate work permit. The permit says: Employer-Any
Employment location: Unknown. Occupation : Any

Can someone tell me if my workpermit is open or closed?

Thanks
Its open and precisely how it should be. You are free to work any where in Canada for any one.