+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I get 7.0+ in WRITING?

darkven91

Star Member
Mar 5, 2017
NOC Code......
Today I've received my EOR results for Writing and Listening and scores came back the same, this means that I really need to work on my writing skills and enhance them, I wonder if taking a preparation course with British Council would help me with my writing skills, the preparation course is called IELTS Preparation Course Plus, they would assess my skills and then enroll me with another 18 students, it costs 800 US dollars and it takes 6 weeks (a month and a half).

Back to the main point, I need to practice my writing, however it is really tough getting feedback, although that shouldn't stop me from knowing any common mistakes I still do which can help me in making progress in writing, although someone recommended I shouldn't look for mistakes, rather I should be practicing on how to do things right. I'm confused a bit about this.

I think the best way to handle this is to google "how to enhance writing skills" (it doesn't have to be about IELTS, since anything related to IELTS seems to be selling you something and at the end it's just writing...) and also by actually doing some practice tests and then give them to some trusted peers I know who are great at English.

What do you guys think? Do you have any past experiences where you were in my position and got through this somehow?

I wanted to buy ieltsliz.com writing videos but I couldn't really get if these videos actually helped people who bought them or not, has anyone bought her videos and increased their writing scores because of them?

On another note, how is my writing so far (in this whole post)? Did you spot any mistakes? If so please do share them with me.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
IMO the only way to improve writing is to practice more and more. You need someone who can check your writing and give you feedback. It's not easy to pick mistakes in your own work. Anothe pair of eyes will be better.

You can look at IELTS writing tasks online with sample answers.

darkven91

Star Member
Mar 5, 2017
NOC Code......
I have a couple of people who can read and give me feedback and I believe you are right about practicing (it's pretty obvious when someone else states this), I guess I have to work harder the next time.

Thanks for the info xpressentry.

Hedy Iida

Apr 24, 2017
i don't think, Any online course will get you 7 or 8 specially in "writing and speaking"
i purchased Liz online course and i got 6 in writing

so better join any institute for "writing and speaking" as we can't gauge our-self in this modules

DonKassem

Mar 25, 2017
Did you purchase all Liz writing videos or only some of them? Are they good?

Hedy Iida said:
i don't think, Any online course will get you 7 or 8 specially in "writing and speaking"
i purchased Liz online course and i got 6 in writing

so better join any institute for "writing and speaking" as we can't gauge our-self in this modules

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
For writing in IELTS, I've found two websites the most useful,
viz. www.ieltsliz.com
www.writetotop.com

They have YouTube channel also. Check them out.

IELTS writing requires ACADEMIC writing. So, you have to fulfil all the criteria to get 7 in writing. These websites explain quite efficiently how to score higher.

Any tips on IELTS, please follow this link.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/valuable-tips-to-pass-ielts-with-flying-colors-t487154.0.html

Reactions: tammanna786

syconetgeek

Mar 30, 2015
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
NO
AOR Received.
03-10-2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2019
darkven91 said:
Today I've received my EOR results for Writing and Listening and scores came back the same, this means that I really need to work on my writing skills and enhance them, I wonder if taking a preparation course with British Council would help me with my writing skills, the preparation course is called IELTS Preparation Course Plus, they would assess my skills and then enroll me with another 18 students, it costs 800 US dollars and it takes 6 weeks (a month and a half).

Back to the main point, I need to practice my writing, however it is really tough getting feedback, although that shouldn't stop me from knowing any common mistakes I still do which can help me in making progress in writing, although someone recommended I shouldn't look for mistakes, rather I should be practicing on how to do things right. I'm confused a bit about this.

I think the best way to handle this is to google "how to enhance writing skills" (it doesn't have to be about IELTS, since anything related to IELTS seems to be selling you something and at the end it's just writing...) and also by actually doing some practice tests and then give them to some trusted peers I know who are great at English.

What do you guys think? Do you have any past experiences where you were in my position and got through this somehow?

I wanted to buy ieltsliz.com writing videos but I couldn't really get if these videos actually helped people who bought them or not, has anyone bought her videos and increased their writing scores because of them?

On another note, how is my writing so far (in this whole post)? Did you spot any mistakes? If so please do share them with me.
Are you using vocabulary like some different words? Also how you improve score in Speaking?

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
I noticed that you write long sentences and that's good. However, I am suspicious that you are using correct punctuation; you can't always use A comma. Do you see what I did there? If your sentences are somehow related, but not exactly going together, then you would have to use A semi-colon. But again, you could be right, I am not the strongest in terms of punctuation either.

Another minor mistake is "doing a mistake" instead of "making a mistake". Maybe there are more of such expressions that you need to be careful with?

Additionally, I would say that you may intentionally try to add less common words; I haven't seen a single uncommon word in your response.

But overall, I am a firm believer in learning through reading. I understand you are pressed for time, but maybe you should read in your spare time. It will definitely increase your scores in all the areas, including the listening section.

darkven91 said: