+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How difficult/easy is it for a PR candidate to find a Software Engineering job?

anad7

Feb 12, 2017
Hi,

I'll give you guys a quick background, I am 29 old guy working at a very good company as a Senior Software Engineer with a CTC of INR 35L, I have over 6 years of experience and I have excellent programming skills, I am saying this to give you guys a context of my abilities.

I am eligible to get an express entry PR for Canada but I have a few question's before actually putting in my application.

1. How difficult would it be for a PR candidate to get a Software Engineering job in Canada after landing there.
2. Is it true what I read about this "Canadian Experience" being a roadblock for getting jobs.
3. Any success stories of people who went to Canada on PR and landed a job as a Software Engineer?

I was very enthusiastic about applying and started to get my documents in order; but then I came across some horror stories of people finding it very hard to get jobs after landing there because of this terrible "Canadian experience" requirement; is there any truth to this?

Please let me know as I have put my application on hold and would like to read a few stories before actually making the move, also I would prefer answer's from people working as Software Engineer's as I have to evaluate whether I should be going there or not.

Thanks.

Simpson85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Croatia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
From my personal experience, "Canadian work experience" was never an issue for me.

If I was ever rejected after an interview (or didn't get an interview at all), was mostly for two reasons:
1. I was not a 100% fit for their requirements
2. I don't have PR - the fact that I am a candidate helped a bit, but not much

Despite all that - I did land a job while being a PR candidate (I'm at post-ITA stage right now), but it was through networking. I was recommended by my client from Canada to another Canadian company. This referral definitely helped a lot, but I still had two technical interviews and a code review. After all that they offered me a job and I'm starting to work on March 1st.

I hope it gives you some hope! :)

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anad7 said:
Hi,

I'll give you guys a quick background, I am 29 old guy working at a very good company as a Senior Software Engineer with a CTC of INR 35L, I have over 6 years of experience and I have excellent programming skills, I am saying this to give you guys a context of my abilities.

I am eligible to get an express entry PR for Canada but I have a few question's before actually putting in my application.

1. How difficult would it be for a PR candidate to get a Software Engineering job in Canada after landing there.
2. Is it true what I read about this "Canadian Experience" being a roadblock for getting jobs.
3. Any success stories of people who went to Canada on PR and landed a job as a Software Engineer?

I was very enthusiastic about applying and started to get my documents in order; but then I came across some horror stories of people finding it very hard to get jobs after landing there because of this terrible "Canadian experience" requirement; is there any truth to this?

Please let me know as I have put my application on hold and would like to read a few stories before actually making the move, also I would prefer answer's from people working as Software Engineer's as I have to evaluate whether I should be going there or not.

Thanks.
Probably Canadian Exp may not be a problem if you will be looking for coding job. However, it may be a factor if you are looking for managerial or lead role. Considering your current CTC, what package will you be looking for in Canada? I am assuming something around 1cr INR. I am not sure if you will be getting that package easily though.

anad7

Feb 12, 2017
Simpson85 said:
From my personal experience, "Canadian work experience" was never an issue for me.

If I was ever rejected after an interview (or didn't get an interview at all), was mostly for two reasons:
1. I was not a 100% fit for their requirements
2. I don't have PR - the fact that I am a candidate helped a bit, but not much

Despite all that - I did land a job while being a PR candidate (I'm at post-ITA stage right now), but it was through networking. I was recommended by my client from Canada to another Canadian company. This referral definitely helped a lot, but I still had two technical interviews and a code review. After all that they offered me a job and I'm starting to work on March 1st.

I hope it gives you some hope! :)

Congratulations on your new job, this definitely is hopeful.

I am assuming you were already in Canada or you had a client who was in Canada. I do not have Canadian connection's, if I get a PR, I'll be on my own for the most part. What do you think would be my chances in that scenario?

anad7

Feb 12, 2017
softwaretesting said:
Probably Canadian Exp may not be a problem if you will be looking for coding job. However, it may be a factor if you are looking for managerial or lead role. Considering your current CTC, what package will you be looking for in Canada? I am assuming something around 1cr INR. I am not sure if you will be getting that package easily though.
Hi that is assuring, I was expecting around 140-150k but I am not really sure if Canadian software companies can shell out that much.

I don't understand what's really wrong with the software industry there, very few companies, even lesser jobs and to top that off the pay maxes out at 120k. I am not really sure if I would be going ahead though as the facts look discouraging.

I mean if I move to Canada and I am unable to find work of my caliber; I'll be demotivated and I do not want to be demotivated at this prime time of my career.

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
anad7 said:
Hi that is assuring, I was expecting around 140-150k but I am not really sure if Canadian software companies can shell out that much.

I don't understand what's really wrong with the software industry there, very few companies, even lesser jobs and to top that off the pay maxes out at 120k. I am not really sure if I would be going ahead though as the facts look discouraging.

I mean if I move to Canada and I am unable to find work of my caliber; I'll be demotivated and I do not want to be demotivated at this prime time of my career.
if you are traveling to continue your career where you left off, don't. If you are traveling for a better life, do.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anad7 said:

140k LOL.

At the start count more around 80k CAD per year, and that is already considered nice salary, where you need certain amount of experience. With some time you will be also able to climb, but 140K is more like senior management salary in most companies (at least from the research that I have done on Canadian salaries so far).

The big advantage is, that you have rather transparent process, where you have good chance to get PR card (unlike in USA, where you will be totaly dependant on your employer while waiting for your green card for years).

So if gain and profit is your goal, I guess that Canada is not for you.
Good luck there.

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
vensak said:
140k LOL.

At the start count more around 80k CAD per year, and that is already considered nice salary, where you need certain amount of experience. With some time you will be also able to climb, but 140K is more like senior management salary in most companies (at least from the research that I have done on Canadian salaries so far).

The big advantage is, that you have rather transparent process, where you have good chance to get PR card (unlike in USA, where you will be totaly dependant on your employer while waiting for your green card for years).

Good luck there.
Yep, my expectations is not more than 60k, that would keep me grounded. I have 10 years experience.

musicnlyrx

Sep 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anad7 said:

If you are expecting around anything near 140K, don't go to Canada. you will be disappointed.
You are earning way more than a normal software engineer in India and if you still going for money to Canada, don't apply for PR.
If you want better standard of living, but happy with anything between 60K-80K CAD, then apply for PR.

But I will still recommend you, do not apply for PR as you are earning a very very very good salary in India and you will be writing a thread after couple of years about how Canada is bad and how you did not get the job you wanted.
My apologies for being blunt, but what I understand from your comments that you are going for money, not for a better standard of living.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vensak said:
140k LOL.

Good luck there.
He is already getting 35L INR, I.e. approx 68.5K CAD. I am assuming that he has completed education from one of the top colleges & is working with one of the biggest IT companies. Since India is comparatively less expensive, I don't think it makes sense for him to shift unless he gets 140k, which I understand is almost impossible. That is why I told him to consider this factor before making any decision.

Simpson85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Croatia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
anad7 said:
Congratulations on your new job, this definitely is hopeful.

I am assuming you were already in Canada or you had a client who was in Canada. I do not have Canadian connection's, if I get a PR, I'll be on my own for the most part. What do you think would be my chances in that scenario?
Thank you - and I'm glad it raises hope :)

Nope, I was not in Canada, but I had a Canadian client - which I got through freelancing. Without referral, it might be a bit tougher, but if you have PR, it definitely won't be a problem. But like guys above told you - you can forget insane sums like 140-150k per year, because I don't think Canadians earn that much with 6 years of experience, unless they have their own companies.

I've gotten 70k per year + 8-12% annual loyalty bonus and I'm super happy about it. It is enough for my entire family and my wife don't even need to work if she doesn't feel like working.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
softwaretesting said:
He is already getting 35L INR, I.e. approx 68.5K CAD. I am assuming that he has completed education from one of the top colleges & is working with one of the biggest IT companies. Since India is comparatively less expensive, I don't think it makes sense for him to shift unless he gets 140k, which I understand is almost impossible. That is why I told him to consider this factor before making any decision.
Thanks for explanation.
In that case he would be heading for even more bitter experience, where he would be regarded as an average guy (a top university does not impress anybody in Canada, what they need to see is how good is your work).
I have seen such thread few months back when somebody decided to go back to India after discovering a life of a middle class in Canada (DIY style).

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
musicnlyrx said:
If you are expecting around anything near 140K, don't go to Canada. you will be disappointed.
You are earning way more than a normal software engineer in India and if you still going for money to Canada, don't apply for PR.
If you want better standard of living, but happy with anything between 60K-80K CAD, then apply for PR.

But I will still recommend you, do not apply for PR as you are earning a very very very good salary in India and you will be writing a thread after couple of years about how Canada is bad and how you did not get the job you wanted.
My apologies for being blunt, but what I understand from your comments that you are going for money, not for a better standard of living.
I agree with you to some extent. However, I saw a comment on this forum that big IT companies like Google may increase their presence in Canada because of the latest challenges in US. I suggest him to apply for PR, however should shift only if he gets job with very good package.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
softwaretesting said:
I agree with you to some extent. However, I saw a comment on this forum that big IT companies like Google may increase their presence in Canada because of the latest challenges in US. I suggest him to apply for PR, however should shift only if he gets job with very good package.
Well here is just my thinking about the matter:
1. If some companies would open more offices in Canada, they will of course offer Canadian salary (which is smaller than USA salary, but then again life style is similar and it is easier to get PR).
2. Without Canadian experience he will start with basic package, more or less regardless how many more years of experience he will have. In order to get that experience, he would have to accept a bit more modest salary at first.

So he will be caught in Catch 22.

anad7

Feb 12, 2017
musicnlyrx said:

What you said makes sense, I definitely want a better standard of living but I also think a better stand of living also involves a good job and money one deserves. Thanks for the answer, I am now inclined towards not going ahead with my application.