+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How a 'unskilled' Brit goes about moving to Canada

Jan 24, 2012
Ok, so after a long frustrating time on the Immigration website I've hit a stone wall as to just how I go about moving to Canada, specifically(or rather ideally) Toronto, Ontario. Very likely me just getting a bit too confused and over-worked so just wondering if anyone here can help me.

So for background information. I'm a full British citizen, born to English/Welsh parents in Hong Kong when it was part of Britain, talked to immigration and they tell me that as I already thought and knew I am a full British citizen and being born in Hong Kong won't make any difference when trying to move elsewhere such as Canada. More simply I have all the rights any other British born citizen would! Just thought i would get that out the way to save time later down the the line.

So full British citizen, have a full set of GCSE's(high school for you?) school qualifications and A-Levels aswell, but that's it for qualifications, no degrees etc. Currently in the Royal Air Force as a soldier, still got another 3 years to go for my service requirements so have plenty of time to sort everything out and get ready to immigrate(assuming i can). But with no skills such as an electrification, manager, nurse etc I believe I fall under the 'unskilled' category as far as jobs go.

So with this sort of background, how do I go about moving over there with the intention of gaining permanent residence and from then citizenship? I have no idea if this is the case, but for example. Could I apply for a foreign workers visa. Proceed to find somewhere to live and then find a 'unskilled' job such as bar, shop work etc in Toronto. Work in said job for 'x' amount of time, perhaps even have to get a different job in that time aswell(as some countries such as Australia seems to require this). Can I then apply for a permanent resident status?(maybe have to extend the work visa before this to reach an specific time requirement).

The above is sort of the procedure my sister had to go through to move to New Zealand, So I realise it could all be completely wrong. One thing I'm confused(even worried about) is do I even perhaps have to get a skilled job to gain PR(and later on citizenship), this of course would mean I would need to go back into education or gain an apprenticeship of some kind.

Thanks for any and all help. Again I think I've just ran myself in one too many circles and confused myself too much ^^.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

OneConfusedDom said:
Ok, so after a long frustrating time on the Immigration website I've hit a stone wall as to just how I go about moving to Canada, specifically(or rather ideally) Toronto, Ontario. Very likely me just getting a bit too confused and over-worked so just wondering if anyone here can help me.

So for background information. I'm a full British citizen, born to English/Welsh parents in Hong Kong when it was part of Britain, talked to immigration and they tell me that as I already thought and knew I am a full British citizen and being born in Hong Kong won't make any difference when trying to move elsewhere such as Canada. More simply I have all the rights any other British born citizen would! Just thought i would get that out the way to save time later down the the line.

So full British citizen, have a full set of GCSE's(high school for you?) school qualifications and A-Levels aswell, but that's it for qualifications, no degrees etc. Currently in the Royal Air Force as a soldier, still got another 3 years to go for my service requirements so have plenty of time to sort everything out and get ready to immigrate(assuming i can). But with no skills such as an electrification, manager, nurse etc I believe I fall under the 'unskilled' category as far as jobs go.

So with this sort of background, how do I go about moving over there with the intention of gaining permanent residence and from then citizenship? I have no idea if this is the case, but for example. Could I apply for a foreign workers visa. Proceed to find somewhere to live and then find a 'unskilled' job such as bar, shop work etc in Toronto. Work in said job for 'x' amount of time, perhaps even have to get a different job in that time aswell(as some countries such as Australia seems to require this). Can I then apply for a permanent resident status?(maybe have to extend the work visa before this to reach an specific time requirement).

The above is sort of the procedure my sister had to go through to move to New Zealand, So I realise it could all be completely wrong. One thing I'm confused(even worried about) is do I even perhaps have to get a skilled job to gain PR(and later on citizenship), this of course would mean I would need to go back into education or gain an apprenticeship of some kind.

Thanks for any and all help. Again I think I've just ran myself in one too many circles and confused myself too much ^^.
1. Basically you can't/won't qualify. You have no higher education, you have no employment skills on the list of "29" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/complete-applications.asp.
2. You would have to find an employer in Canada who is willing to get a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC, after the position was advertised on the JobBank for 2 weeks and no Canadians or PRs were qualified for the position, extremely unlikely for unskilled work.
3. If you are under 30 you could apply for a working holiday visa, allowing you to work at any job for a year. See IEC on www.cic.gc.ca

Jan 24, 2012
Hi, cheers for the fast eply.

Right ok. Where can you go from a holiday visa? Can that even take you any further after that year, or would i then have to go back to britain?

Jan 24, 2012
Well i've sussed out that the holiday visa doesn't help for anything in regards to immigration. From what I can see, nothing short of getting one of the listed skills and getting some work experience(1 year at least) in said trade will get me across. So looks like I'm gonna need to do that!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OneConfusedDom said:
Well i've sussed out that the holiday visa doesn't help for anything in regards to immigration. From what I can see, nothing short of getting one of the listed skills and getting some work experience(1 year at least) in said trade will get me across. So looks like I'm gonna need to do that!
Having skilled work experience is key to immigrating. The path you've outlined above is the way to go.

Good luck.