+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

hoping to land

Faama

Jun 7, 2007
Hi all,
I am soo thankful for the different postings in here as I have learnt a lot.

We stamped our passports in Nov 07 and have to land in Canada by June08. We(my wife,2 kids)hope to land next month April08, and since we live near Seattle, we will be driving to Vancouver, stay there for 3 days(check in a hotel), and drive back to Seattle. My questions are :
1- do we have to show proof of funds again at the Port of Entry even if we'll be staying in Vancouver for 3 days only?
2- do we have to provide a Vancouver address to receive our PR cards, or we can give out address of our friends in Toronto?
3-Any other info I should know for the landing/or the 3 day stay in Canada?

Thanks and best of luck to all !
Viva Canada !!

Mar 15, 2008
1) Your Permanent Residency Visa is a single entry visa, which means you will not be allowed inside once more if you want to return on the basis of that visa alone.
2) As a result of the above condition, you need to get your Permanent Residency Card before leaving Canada. This card allows you unlimited entry.
3) The PR Card is issued apprx two weeks after you apply for it in Canada.
4) Therefore you will need to stay in Canada at least two weeks or until you receive the PR Card, whichever is longer
5) If you want to receive the visa as soon as possible, apply for it as soon as you 'land', at a government office (which one, I forget)
6) You will need to rent an accommodation for sometime, at least two weeks or the minimum length of time the landlord allows.
For all intents and purposes, this will be your residence in Canada and you have to mention this address in your PR Card application.
7) After you collect your PR Card, you may leave Canada

Faama

Jun 7, 2007
Thanks SubatomicBionicNanoMan for the extra info. However, I still do not know how to go about my situation. Please understand that we'll provide our friends address (in Toronto) and they'll send the PR card to us here in Seattle, am more concerned of the landing place being different from the address we provide, is it possible? Anyone plz answer my
questions 1 & 2? Pleeeeeeeeeease ??...

imjoe

Star Member
Nov 28, 2007
As far as I know you can use your friends address...

And secondly (as I understand it) it is true that you can only enter Canada with that Visa once, but if you have some other kind of visa or are from a visa except country you can exit Canada and return as you please should it be necessary.

The point is that if you can't go back in and are required to present yourself for some purpose, like retaking a picture etc... Then you are in a big problem. But you can use any other visa or passport (depends) to go back in if it were necessary.

Faama

Jun 7, 2007
..and what about proof of funds for a family of 4, do they check again, if its a 3-day visit only?

imjoe

Star Member
Nov 28, 2007
No, they only ask for the proof of funds the first time (When you land)

After that you can enter the country as a tourist, while you get your PR Card, and after that you just use your PR Card