+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong Visa Office Lost my Nanny's Passport

gourmettdot

Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

I have hired a Philippina nanny from Hong Kong and after months of waiting to get her LMO and then the months of delay caused by the foreign worker service officers we finally got her visa to come to Canada approved about 23 days ago. They emailed her and said they will mail the passport (containing the visa) to her, which is done routinely for everyone. By any account after 23 days she should have her passport. But the office can't tell her where the passport is, weather or not they mailed it, they wont even give her a tracking number so she can follow up with the post office!!! To make matters more complicated her visa in HKong expires on October 31st (mere week from now) and she has to exit the country prior to that or face severe fines. How is she supposed to do that without a passport?

The Chinese employees of the Canadian consulate are dismissive, they keep telling her to wait even though they agree that she should have received the passport in the mail by now and they know she has to exit soon. They don't reply to the emails and letters I send and obviously don't take call either. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Suggestions? What is my recourse? We are both very stressed as I need her to be here asap to look after my daughter.

I appreciate any kind of advice you can offer me.

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you or your domestic helper contacted the Immigration Department of Hong Kong yet?

gourmettdot

Oct 23, 2013
Thank you for your reply. No we haven't contacted the immigration office in Hong Kong. I'm obviously no familiar with their laws. What would we be contacting them about? Any thoughts?

Regs29

Oct 18, 2013
I have the same problem, i already got my approval letter to my cic account, i am just waiting my passport to be return, I am currently in macau, i cannot go to hong kong because i do not have travel document with me i don't have passport, i send my passport last oct.24 and till now i have not received my passport back, its already 1 month and counting, i do all possibilities just to know where my passport is, if they delivered or still in the office, im totally stressed, i email them, fax, or even send a friend living in hong kong to follow up but they did not give any information i dont know what to do, i already bought ticket for November 5 flight , im really stressed out