Interview........
21-03-2016
Passport Req..
19-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2016
I read on the Hong Kong immigration website that people with mainland passports do not need to get their Hong Kong visa if they are going to transit to another country provided they have proof, etc...

I am just wondering if anyone here has done this and can confirm it? I really don't want any surprises when I try to take my wife home with me at the end of May.

Perhaps we should just get the visa anyways? My wife really really hates wasting money though.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long are you and your wife transiting in Hong Kong? Perhaps you can email the Hong Kong immigration department for a definite answer?

Btw, I thought mainland flights (China Eastern/Southern) directly to Vancouver is much cheaper than flying via Hong Kong.

hicks74

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-07-2015
Med's Request
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016
Interview........
21-03-2016
Passport Req..
19-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2016
steaky said:
How long are you and your wife transiting in Hong Kong? Perhaps you can email the Hong Kong immigration department for a definite answer?

Btw, I thought mainland flights (China Eastern/Southern) directly to Vancouver is much cheaper than flying via Hong Kong.
Ya, I'll see if I can get in touch with them.

Reason I fly out of Hong Kong is it seems to be the only spot near my wife that has direct flights to Toronto.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hicks74 said:
Ya, I'll see if I can get in touch with them.

Reason I fly out of Hong Kong is it seems to be the only spot near my wife that has direct flights to Toronto.
Well, a day or two should be fine without a transit visa if your wife arrive at the International Airport! If arrive at land border, then you should better ask the Immigration well in advance.

hicks74

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-07-2015
Med's Request
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016
Interview........
21-03-2016
Passport Req..
19-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2016
Response from HKIMM:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail message.

Mainland passport holders on their way to or from overseas countries or territory (e.g. USA » HKSAR » Mainland China and/or Mainland China » HKSAR » USA) are allowed stay in Hong Kong in transit for a period of up to seven days without the need to obtain entry permits, as long as they possess valid visas or landing permits and confirmed air-tickets for their overseas destinations. For transit to Mainland of China, no need to show the onward tickets. This entry-permit-free transit arrangement aims to facilitate their overseas travel to and from Mainland of China by enabling them to connect flights or stopover in Hong Kong.

For the overseas Chinese wish to come for purpose other than transit (e.g. USA » HKSAR » USA or Mainland »HKSAR »Mainland ) or if they are in transit but their proposed duration of stay are more than seven days, they have to obtain appropriate entry permit before arrival through the applicant's nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular missions (CDCM).

For visit visa application, you may visit the following link for details: http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/hk-visas/visit-transit/guidebook.html

However, if an overseas Chinese have returned to Mainland China and wish to come for purpose other than transit (e.g. Mainland »HKSAR »Mainland) without applying entry permit to Hong Kong while you are in overseas. You are required to obtain an Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao with an appropriate endorsement from the relevant Public Security Bureau Office.

The administration of the Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong, including the application procedure and the granting of the permit, is the responsibility of the relevant Mainland authorities. You should then enquire with the respective Mainland authority for the application details.

I hope you will find the information useful.

So even crossing into HK from Shenzhen it appears we don't need an entry permit.