+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong timeline

lucaskclai

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
cheng9999 said:
My spouse is also a Taiwan case. eCas showed DM, and COPR came in about 10 days. It came, just regular mail...not registered mail. When we applied, we were asked to provide address in Chinese on a separate piece of paper. HKVO cut this out and stuck this on the envelop. I would assume that your husband did the same.

The COPR expires at the same time as the medical report, which is 12 months. With your case being 18 months already, it would mean you had to re-do your medical, and your COPR should be 12 months from your new medical report.

My belief is that the VO is quite bad in updating small things like addresses, especially if you send the communication via email. In our case, eCas was missing what I believed to be important detail should the VO use the English address to mail things out. I sent in an email, and when I ordered notes, it indicated the email was received, the VO checked the address and said that there was no issues...so no change was made. I re-sent the request, this time using case specific inquiry system, and it was changed. Did your GCMS notes indicate a new address for mailing address section or the same old one?

Back to your case. I assume your passport is visa-exempt, so you would receive COPR directly in the mail. There are some who reported that they don't receive COPR for quite a few weeks. On the other hand, if HKVO used the Chinese address your husband provided on a piece of paper submitted along with the original application, it would be sent to the wrong address. Then you have to count on the mail forwarding system to kick in and route it to you in Canada. I have no experience about Taiwan mail forwarding, how long it would take, how reliable it is. Have you had other successful forwarding taking place or do the mails get delivered to the new residents in the apartment and it's up to them to drop it back at the post office? Would the post office make a slip and still deliver to the new residents instead of forwarding the mail?

So if I were you, I would also worry about the COPR being lost.

If your COPR would not expire for some time, I would order GCMS notes again so you have the latest and hard evidence. The at the same time, I would do the following in your position:
1) update address to Canadian address using Case Specific Inquiry system
2) You would not be able to talk to a person in HKVO, but I believe you can talk to someone in Ottawa CIC. See if it is possible for them to resend the COPR to you in Canada.
3) If you get nowhere with #2 action above, get help from MP again

This whole mailing of COPR is quite a flawed system, and if something goes wrong (even post offices deliver mail to wrong people even when the written address is correct) there is no way for the applicant to know as eCas is so unreliable.

Good luck.
My story is the same married for 20 years and still waiting more than 17 months now. MP is pushing and now it is moving.
I changed my wife and my address to Canada as she is visiting me here. Hope to get the CORP here.

hicks74

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-07-2015
Med's Request
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016
Interview........
21-03-2016
Passport Req..
19-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2016
Im2nice4u said:
I just got COPR today!! Wow I'm super happy :) After all this painful waiting time... FINALLY GOING BACK HOME!!!

I'm flying to Canada on june 8 with my baby son and wife. We will land at Toronto too, is that ok to be with your wife on the visitor line even me and my son have the Canadian passport?

I notice that the address of sponsor ( me) in the COPR, they put my wife's address instead of mine, and there is a mispelling erreur too. Is this what happened to you? After the correction, did they print a new COPR to you?

CONGRATULATIONS Bro!!! And thank you so much for sharing your experience, it really gives me a big picture of what I need to do on my landing.... I will share mine later.
They seemed fine with me going in the visitor line. Since you are connecting you may be able to take your family to that line, which is at the far left when you first enter the immigration area.

I don't know if we needed a customs card filled for my wife, I just did it anyways along with the B4 form.

I did not get a new COPR, they only corrected the address in the computer.

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
conniecheng said:
how to contact MP? i am from HK. thanks
If the Canadian sponsor is living in Canada, it's easy. MP's serve their constituents living in his riding.

So if the sponsor is not living in Canada, then it will get tricky.

Is there an address you (or your sponsor who is Canadian) already have? Your parents? You need to contact the MP at that riding.

The MP's office will require the Canadian to show a government issued ID with address on it (i.e. drivers license) in order to act on your behalf.

This is my own personal experience. Others may have a different experience.

If you have none of these, then you could be out of luck. I would assume you have a target address you will move back to, so you can try to contact the MP at that location. It won't hurt. Just send an email to ask for help.

lyil

Feb 21, 2015
I had my interview on 9 May and got approved on the same day. I had my medical exam redo the next day. And i still havent received my COPR.. How long does it take for me to receive the COPR? Anyone?
I am HK citizen.

conniecheng

Star Member
Mar 18, 2016
cheng9999 said:
If the Canadian sponsor is living in Canada, it's easy. MP's serve their constituents living in his riding.

So if the sponsor is not living in Canada, then it will get tricky.

Is there an address you (or your sponsor who is Canadian) already have? Your parents? You need to contact the MP at that riding.

The MP's office will require the Canadian to show a government issued ID with address on it (i.e. drivers license) in order to act on your behalf.

This is my own personal experience. Others may have a different experience.

If you have none of these, then you could be out of luck. I would assume you have a target address you will move back to, so you can try to contact the MP at that location. It won't hurt. Just send an email to ask for help.

my husband.is living in.Vancouver, is it we can.just appointment with whoever close to us and.then.they will help us to contact CIC? is there website that i can look for the MP that close to us ? thanks

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
conniecheng said:
my husband.is living in.Vancouver, is it we can.just appointment with whoever close to us and.then.they will help us to contact CIC? is there website that i can look for the MP that close to us ? thanks
Your husband will need to search on the internet which riding he is in, who the MP is. It's not just any MP, it's the MP serving the area where he lives.

Search for "Find your member of parliament using your postal code".

If he voted last year, he would know even without searching.

Then either send an email or phone the office. Usually the assistant does the work. If you want speed, your husband can just go to the office during office hours.

Im2nice4u

Oct 27, 2014
Dko said:
Hi there and CONGRATS!
Did u need to get an exit visa for your son and wife from their local Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Office?
My wife already got the COPR and the PR VISA stamped on her Chinese passport. My wife and my baby daughter (CDN PASSPORT WITH CDN CITIZENSHIP CERT.) and myself will be landing in September.
Also for the application of the PR CARD, do we use our Canadian mailing address? Right now on Ecas it obviously show my wife's address in China, do we need to update it after landing?
Thanks
I got only an exit visa for my son. My wife doesnt have any stamp. Why does she have a stamp on her visa so fast? I dont think she need an exit permit not sure about that

For the PR card i think is the address in canada obiously...i dont think that you need to do anything else

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
conniecheng said:
thank you. i am start getting stress to wait for my COPR. sorry, I saw that you mentioned about B4 form before, may I know what us it?
Don't worry I can understand. It took about 3.5weeks for my wife to receive her COPR from the Beijing VISA office. The B4 is the form used by the new immigrant to list all the things he/she is bring into Canada duty free.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Im2nice4u said:
I got only an exit visa for my son. My wife doesnt have any stamp. Why does she have a stamp on her visa so fast? I dont think she need an exit permit not sure about that

For the PR card i think is the address in canada obiously...i dont think that you need to do anything else
We are just starting to fill out the paper work for our baby girl to get her exit visa.
It's the visa stamped on her Chinese passport. Showing the date of issue and the expiry date. The letter that came along with the COPR said:

"Please find enclosed your Permanent Resident visa for you affixed to your passport. Note carefully the visa expiry date in the DAY/MONTH/YEAR format."

When does the PR CARD arrive after landing? Do we need to tell the custom officer our CDN address during landing for the PR CARD?

rbbridge

Aug 25, 2015
May I ask what is the purpose of the exit paper? Do you have your PR already?

In my case, I am waiting for my COPR. I had a decision made showed on-line since April 2016 and was told by my MP it is approved. I have been writing to the Hong Kong Visa Office as well as order the notes. Now they asked me to sent them two photographs as well as a copy of my bio page of my passport to them.

Is that normal for the COPR? I am applying with my US passport, is just a copy good enough? Do I have to sent everything in Paper format, or can it be done electronically?

Does anyone have similar experiences? Thank you so much.

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
rbbridge said:

In my case, I am waiting for my COPR. I had a decision made showed on-line since April 2016 and was told by my MP it is approved. I have been writing to the Hong Kong Visa Office as well as order the notes. Now they asked me to sent them two photographs as well as a copy of my bio page of my passport to them.

Is that normal for the COPR? I am applying with my US passport, is just a copy good enough? Do I have to sent everything in Paper format, or can it be done
electronically?

Please courier photos printed to correct specifications along with a copy of bio data page of the passport to your visa office. COPR should be on its way soon after they get these documents.

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
rbbridge said:

Is that normal for the COPR? I am applying with my US passport, is just a copy good enough? Do I have to sent everything in Paper format, or can it be done electronically?

Like some others, we got the COPR, but were asked to take 2 new photos and bring them for landing. I believe the photo is for the PR card.

In your case, it looks like they want to get the photos and attach them to your COPR with the ones at the right size. I would assume (others can confirm) that you won't have to worry about giving the right photo for your PR card.

Being from a visa-exempt country, you do not need a visa for your passport, so they only want a photocopy. Interesting why they ask for it again...I say again as passport photocopy was supposed to be provided already with the original package, unless you renewed the passport in between.

rbbridge

Aug 25, 2015
Yes, my case is going on its 18th month of processing, therefore my old passport already expired. I had also redo my medical in Jan. of 2016 as that expired also. I did notify them as soon as I got my new passport last year so they know about the new passport change. My questions are:

1. If they just ask for a photo copy of my biodata page of the current USA passport, do I have to certify the copy, they did not ask for it to be certified.

2. The photo size is also very confusing, the e mail from HongKong said
Passport photos: Passport size photographs (photographs must conform to the specifications outlined in the Guide to Immigrating IMM 3999 and Appendix B Photo Specifications) This must be received at this office by: 2016/06/30

Passport photos are not the same as immigration photo size and since there are no IMM3999 with appendix B photo specifications, I saw
two photo size specifications, one for USA applicant, which is the larger passport size and only required 4 photos and the other one is for the Hong Kong applicant which required smaller size with 9 photos, which one should I be sending? Or should I sent both?

Or if somebody can tell me what exactly IMM3999 appendix B photo specification is saying?

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
rbbridge said:
Yes, my case is going on its 18th month of processing, therefore my old passport already expired. I had also redo my medical in Jan. of 2016 as that expired also. I did notify them as soon as I got my new passport last year so they know about the new passport change. My questions are:

1. If they just ask for a photo copy of my biodata page of the current USA passport, do I have to certify the copy, they did not ask for it to be certified.

2. The photo size is also very confusing, the e mail from HongKong said
Passport photos: Passport size photographs (photographs must conform to the specifications outlined in the Guide to Immigrating IMM 3999 and Appendix B Photo Specifications) This must be received at this office by: 2016/06/30

Passport photos are not the same as immigration photo size and since there are no IMM3999 with appendix B photo specifications, I saw
two photo size specifications, one for USA applicant, which is the larger passport size and only required 4 photos and the other one is for the Hong Kong applicant which required smaller size with 9 photos, which one should I be sending? Or should I sent both?

Or if somebody can tell me what exactly IMM3999 appendix B photo specification is saying?
For us, along with the COPR, HKVO attached the page showing the photo specs, basically same as passport photo...5 x 7cm.

For passport, they only need photocopy unless it is not in English which then needs translation and certified.