+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

High Blood Pressue

windtunnel

Sep 10, 2009
Hi Folks,

I am due for the medical soon. My health is almost perfect, except for my blood pressure, which is higher than normal (normal would be 120/80 but I'm clocking around 140/90). How will this affect the immigration process?

Responses from people who have first hand experience would be much appreciated.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Dont worry about your hypertension which looks mild.
However, consult a doctor and take medication if recommended.
It will not disqualify for your medical exam.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you go for the medical, do not eat shortly before it and drink only water. Do not strain yourself. This can possibly keep your blood pressure under the limits, at least on that day. When I had my medical back when, the limit for blood pressure was 140/90. I was just a little over that and this meant that the doctor had to send me to a cardiologist to get an electro cardiogram to prove that I did not have a heart problem. The cardiologist also told me to stay away from certain foods to get the blood pressure down which worked and with his report, I passed the medical without a problem.

Sometimes high blood pressure is not food related but if you want to try it, stop eating salt and pizza. Don't eat candy and stay away from soft drinks, also diet soft drinks.

As for the advice on the day of the medical, I have donated blood for many years and sometimes the blood pressure may vary. Running or straining yourself can make the higher limit go up temporarily and if the blood pressure is overall low, having a coffee or food can bring it up which is why I think if you don't have coffee and food just before the medical, you may be able to keep it temporarily down.