+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

hiding a gay marriage to the canadian immigration visa office

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BeShoo said:
I have seen lots of appeals cases and undeclared spouses practically never get admitted as family members, even on appeal. I think your main recourse in that situation would be to try to get him in on "humanitarian and compassionate" grounds, but you don't want to go that route. There would be a significant risk of being turned down.
If you don't declare a spouse or common-law partner (current or former) before you land, they are forever excluded as members of the family class with respect to you. If you try to land, then sponsor an undeclared spouse or common-law partner in the future, they will not be considered to be a member of the family class, based on section 117(9)(d). The Immigration Appeal Division cannot allow an appeal of such a decision on humanitarian and compassionate grounds; it does not have the jurisdiction to do so.

Don't land without declaring your spouse. Hire a lawyer if necessary. I'm sorry, but that's the best solution.

greatlebguy

Sep 24, 2010
Dear All,

Please accept my sincere thanks for your helpful contributions.

We are just looking, my partner and I, for being together and to live our life together in a country where we can be ourselves, live freely, get the respect we deserve and the equal rights and opportunities as a normal couple, and to not live again the obligation of hiding anything because of the prejudices and discrimination, and we really hope not loose this opportunity for a reason that were completely ignorant about it

Sincerely,

C.M.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
greatlebguy said:
Hello All,

I have a very special case and I would appreciate any assistance in this regard.

We are a married gay couple and I recently got my immigration visa to Canada. But during the process I did note mention that I am married to a same-sex partner because first I was not sure that I will get the Immigration as the whole process was effected through a lawyer to whom I was unable to declare that I am gay and married because being gay is legally forbidden in my country and I can go to jail because of any same-sex relationship.

Now we are both looking to immigrate to Canada and start a new life together... But in the final papers, I have received today (24/09/2010) the CIC mentioned that I am unable to sponsor in the future any family member I did not mention in my application so far.

I am short of time as I just got the Immigration Visa and the Instructions and Information in which they mention this clause and the visa is only valid till end of November 2010 .

I would appreciate receiving any information or assistance in this regards.

Thank you in advance.
DO NOT HIDE THINGS FROM IMMIGRATION CANADA - this will always come back to bite you. You ABSOLUTELY MUST DECLARE YOUR SPOUSE BEFORE YOU LAND IN CANADA or you will be banned from bringing him to Canada in the future, and you could lose you own permanent residence on grounds of misrepresentation. You can contact the embassy on your own - you do not need to use your lawyer. If you are worried that your lawyer will "out" you and you'll be arrested, you should submit a new "Use of Representative" form taking your lawyer off your case so that CIC will not contact him in regards to the assessment of your partner. But this is very important - what's meant by the clause in your visa is that if you don't declare your partner, you won't EVER be able to bring him to Canada in the future.

You need, NOW, to tell the embassy about your partner so your application can be put on hold and your partner can be assessed to come to Canada with you. It makes no difference whatsoever that same-sex partnerships are illegal in your country - they are not illegal in Canada and that's all that matters. You will not be refused permanent status simply because you have a same-sex partner. In fact, withholding information that you think will get you refused status is called "misrepresentation" and can cost you - even if the information you withheld would not have caused you trouble.

Please, do yourself a favour and get in touch with the embassy immediately and declare your relationship. Hopefully you were not married (and lied about it) when you first submitted your application . . . that would not be good.

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Correct me if i'm wrong, you said your husband was a Spanaird and you were
married in Spain where same sex marriage is legal.

Why do you not try to immigrate to Spain with him?

I am sorry you are not able to sponsor him to Canada. I understand your motive in hiding him from your lawyer.

Good luck to you!

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
YorkFactory said:
The Immigration Appeal Division cannot allow an appeal of such a decision on humanitarian and compassionate grounds; it does not have the jurisdiction to do so.
Yes, you are right about that. There is no way out under h&c grounds either. Thanks for the clarification. It is unequivocal:

Paragraph 117(9)(d) of the Regulations is unequivocal: given that the appellant failed to declare the applicant, the latter was not subject to examination by the Visa Officer, thereby preventing the appellant from sponsoring the applicant in the future.
The original poster must declare his spouse immediately or there will be no recourse. No kind of reason or excuse is possible if he lands without declaring him.

greatlebguy

Sep 24, 2010
What if we proceed with the divorce in Spain ... that's how my partner will get a certificate that he is single, for me it is easy because the wedding is not recognized in my country, and I will proceed with the lending as a single guy and after a couple of months we apply to get married in Canada?

it can be an option?

Another question, in case I will send back the visa and declare my relationship, my partner will be examined separately based on the new Immigration Law and under Skilled Worker Category or based on the date in which I presented my application the first time and as my partner. I am worried because he is a computer engineer and his profession doesn't appear on the latest list of acceptable professions.

I don't want to do anything illegal ... we are just looking for a new beginning ...

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
The divorce certificate will need to be presented for any past relationships... They'll see your name and you could go so far as to be removed from the country for misrepresentation on your original application...

If you add him, he will be processed as spouse and you'll need to meet those criteria (genuine relationship and as you've said, that he has a clear background) ... It's a much simpler process relative to the skilled class..

Good luck

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
greatlebguy said:
What if we proceed with the divorce in Spain ... that's how my partner will get a certificate that he is single, for me it is easy because the wedding is not recognized in my country, and I will proceed with the lending as a single guy and after a couple of months we apply to get married in Canada?

it can be an option?
That's a very bad idea. That would be considered a divorce of convenience - i.e. you intentionally divorced so you could land as single. That would also make it almost impossible to sponsor him to Canada later.

Your very best option IMO is to submit the change of representative form, take the lawyer off the case, then inform the embassy directly that you are married. If you are genuinely concerned for your safety, my suggestion would be to travel to Spain while you await processing of your spouse.

One other option, but please note that this is not one I would recommend, would be to travel to Canada on the PR visa, and declare the spouse when you arrive, before they grant you permanent residence. How they will deal with that is explained in ENF4 12.7:

12.7. Changes in marital and family status

R51 requires a foreign national who has been issued a permanent resident visa as a single
person to advise an officer if their marital status has changed since the visa was issued.

A report under A44(1) for A41(a) for R51 is not necessary, if the non-declaration of a marriage or
common-law relationship to the visa officer does not affect the grant of permanent residence to
the person in the following cases:

• In the case of refugees and protected persons, a BSO should grant permanent resident
status to these classes of persons and provide counselling regarding the sponsorship of a
spouse or common-law partner; and
• A foreign national who marries their sponsor after the visa is issued, but before the grant
of permanent residence. This change in circumstance is not material to admissibility.

The BSO should assume the truthfulness of voluntary statements relating to marital status and
proceed as though the person seeking to become a permanent resident were married, whether or
not there is documentary proof of the marital status. The BSO should usually defer the
examination pursuant to A23 in order to consult the visa office and obtain more information and
evidence about the person's marital status. In some cases, the BSO may ask the visa officer to
interview a non-accompanying spouse or common-law partner outside Canada to determine if
they meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations and can be issued a permanent resident
visa.

The procedure for authorizing permanent resident status to the person seeking to become a
permanent resident and the spouse will vary from case to case, depending on the applicant's and
the spouse's particular circumstances. The BSO should provide a full case summary to
accompany the file, so that the receiving inland CIC office can follow up appropriately.

The BSO should bear in mind that the applicants' and their family members' medical examination,
security check and travel document may need to be updated while the spouse or common-law
partner is being examined and before permanent residence can be granted.

If, after the investigation, there is sufficient evidence to proceed with enforcement action, a BSO
may write the appropriate A44(1) report against the person seeking to become a permanent
resident as well as an accompanying spouse or common-law partner.
This will create a situation, in that you can't be granted permanent residence when you arrive, but it is possible they will allow you do remain in Canada while they assess your spouse. If you explain very clearly why you were unable (for your own safety) to reveal that you were married, my hope would be that they would defer your examination and allow you to wait in Canada while they assess your spouse and add him to the application. It is - however - possible that, because you did not declare your spouse earlier, that you could be found inadmissible (for failing to comply with a requirement of the immigration rules.) There does seem to be flexibility for them to add a spouse in those circumstances, but it's almost certain you wouldn't be allowed to work, get provincial health care, etc, until they complete his processing and grant your PR status at a later date. That could take many months.

greatlebguy said:
Another question, in case I will send back the visa and declare my relationship, my partner will be examined separately based on the new Immigration Law and under Skilled Worker Category or based on the date in which I presented my application the first time and as my partner. I am worried because he is a computer engineer and his profession doesn't appear on the latest list of acceptable professions.

I don't want to do anything illegal ... we are just looking for a new beginning ...
He wouldn't be assessed under the skilled worker criteria at all - you are the primary applicant (the one being assessed). He is just your spouse so far as this application is concerned - his own skills are irrelevant, all that matters is that you are legally married, and in a genuine relationship.

Your application is assessed on the basis of when you initially submitted the application. Adding a spouse doesn't cause your own skills / experience to be reassessed against the new criteria.

Good luck.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Don't divorce him - if the visa officer and CIC find out (and they will), it will be considered a 'divorce of convenience' and you will not be able to sponsor him. If you got divorced, and completely hid your relationship, marriage, and divorce from CIC, you could possibly then marry again and sponsor him, but I advise against this - it is too easy for CIC to find out the truth, in which case you might lose your PR and you will never be able to sponsor him.

I agree with the others - fire your current lawyer, and tell the visa officer about your marriage, and get your partner added to your application. Explain why you didn't declare him before.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Do not get divorced. That will cause more trouble than you already have. Your husband can come as an accompanying spouse, so it won't matter if he qualifies as Skilled Worker.

Your best chance at being together permanently in Canada is to declare him pro perly on your present application and I am pretty sure it is not too late to do that. All the things people are quoting seem to say that it's okay, as long as you declare him before you land. For now, you have a good reason for not mentioning him on the application, but if you land without declaring him, you're banned from sponsoring him forever.

greatlebguy

Sep 24, 2010
Dear All,

We have decided to take the right way and to add my partner to my Immigration documents.
We are i the process of preparing all necessary documents to be sent to the CIC Office
I would appreciate if someone can provide me with a list of all necessary documents to compare them with the documents we already prepared, in order to send all required documents at once and save time and speed up the procedure.

Many thanks.

greatlebguy

Sep 24, 2010
Dear Members,
with great pleasire I inform you that we got approved, we've received our visas and we are preparing ourselves to move there in January to start our new life.
Thanks you all for your support and advices.
warm Regards

edupolo

Jun 24, 2009
Visa Office......
London (Ottawa)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2007
Doc's Request.
17-02-2010
Med's Request
17-07-2010
Med's Done....
27-07-2010
Passport Req..
10-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2011
LANDED..........
21-07-2011
Hi,

Congrats!

I am also from Spain and me and my partner (American) also got Permanent Residence earlier this year. Where are you planning to move in Canada. We will be in Toronto.

It would be cool to meet other Spaniards since there are not many of us in Canada. I think we tend to stay in our country or move to South America. How come you decided to come to Canada?