Hi all

chamarajaya

Star Member
Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i am a open work permit holder.
i am thinking about doing self bisness .
i think import some goods from my country annd sell them in canada restaurents.
can i do that or do i eed to join with PR holding patner

Thanks lot

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Yes you can. However, if you are not a PR you will have to find a co-owner that is. The law requires all businesses owned by foreign investors to have at least one Canadian citizen or PR as a director

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
next2015 said:
Yes you can. However, if you are not a PR you will have to find a co-owner that is. The law requires all businesses owned by foreign investors to have at least one Canadian citizen or PR as a director
that is for a corporation and does not apply to sole proprietor business. i forget what the requirement is for partnerships.

theknight

Jan 8, 2015
Dear rhcohen2014,

So you mean I can rent an office, and start offering repairing or designing websites under "sole proprietor business"?
Can I do that with a post-graduation work permit?

I dont want for now to own a business name just freelancer under work permit and report taxes, is that legal?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
theknight said:
Dear rhcohen2014,

So you mean I can rent an office, and start offering repairing or designing websites under "sole proprietor business"?
Can I do that with a post-graduation work permit?

I dont want for now to own a business name just freelancer under work permit and report taxes, is that legal?
if you are allowed to work freelance and be an independant contractor for companies under your name (not be known as a business), there is no need to set up a business. whether or not that's legal for someone to do on an OWP depends on the rules of the permit. were there any restrictions written on the physical permit? i am not familiar with OWP rules... though i imagine "open" means that you can work freelance and do contract work. you would be responsible for paying taxes to the government.

theknight

Jan 8, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
if you are allowed to work freelance and be an independant contractor for companies under your name (not be known as a business), there is no need to set up a business. whether or not that's legal for someone to do on an OWP depends on the rules of the permit. were there any restrictions written on the physical permit? i am not familiar with OWP rules... though i imagine "open" means that you can work freelance and do contract work. you would be responsible for paying taxes to the government.
There are no restrictions, it says here www .cic.gc.ca/english/hire/student.asp that PGWP are open permits for up to 3 years, which I already have.

So generally from what I understood from researching, paid working is legal if you:
1. Have a valid permission to work.
2. Report taxes.
3. Did not exceed working hours or violated restrictions on your work permit (such as part time students).
4. The nature of work is legal.
5. Starting business needs to be done by a Canadian or PR, and I may partner with him/her.
6. I can not start a business with only a work permit and work under that name of the business solo, but I can offer my skills to repair your computer for example, and get paid.

Thank you rhcohen2014,
Please correct me if I am wrong.