+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help

Narcissusblue

Sep 24, 2012
Hi guys!

I seriously need some advices from you. Recently I've met with an immigration consultant in Vancouver. He charges $2500. I guess this is a reasonable price? I'm not sure if I should just go with this consultant. Do you have any experience to share? How did you find your consultants? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm wondering is it my right to request a reference letter from my employer? If my company refuses to provide the letter, what can I do?

Many thanks!!

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Narcissusblue said:
Hi guys!

I seriously need some advices from you. Recently I've met with an immigration consultant in Vancouver. He charges $2500. I guess this is a reasonable price? I'm not sure if I should just go with this consultant. Do you have any experience to share? How did you find your consultants? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm wondering is it my right to request a reference letter from my employer? If my company refuses to provide the letter, what can I do?

Many thanks!!
I collected my documents and applied myself. unless you have a very difficult case, you don't need a consultant. it's actually very straight forward when it comes to what CIC is looking for. just follow their guides and checklists and you should be ok! and if you have questions, feel free to put it on forums here and someone can give you advice from their own experience.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Narcissusblue said:
Hi guys!

Many thanks!!
~2000-3000$ sounds about right, that's what lawyer would charge for handling the case. However, as previously stated here, unless you have a difficult case which will require multiple submissions/affidavits you can handle it by yourself. Employer is not obliged to give you any letter except confirmation of employment, however it is better to request a more detailed letter, specifying your duties and future intentions of employment in addition to the standard (which include period of work, your title and compensation)

akaur

Aug 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
15-12-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
01-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2013
LANDED..........
07-12-2013
Hi ,
my case was not any typical so . i am paying $1200 to immigration consultant.
more than that to me sounds expensive.

Akaur
Narcissusblue said:
Hi guys!

Many thanks!!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You can request an employment letter from your employer - the best approach is to give them a copy the CEC document checklist that lists the information that should be included in the letter.

I would not use the term "reference letter" because it can be confusing for employers... many of them understand it to mean some kind of recommendation(usually for jobs) and will be hesistant to give you one for legal(liability) reasons. For that reason, it is better to give them the checklist so they can see for themselves what should be provided.

If the employer won't give you an employment letter, you can submit an explanation why and include paystubs, job offer letter(s)/contract(s), job advertisement(if you still have it), etc and then write your main duties yourself. After that you can only hope it's sufficient, otherwise you may be rejected.

Narcissusblue said:
Hi guys!

Many thanks!!

Jessica H

Jul 26, 2012
Calgary AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1241- Secretary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 19 2012
AOR Received.
March 21 2012
IELTS Request
Sent along with application
File Transfer...
March 21 2012- Ottawa
Med's Request
April 24 2012
Med's Done....
April 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
June 19 2012
VISA ISSUED...
July 12 2012
LANDED..........
Aug 05 2012
$2500 sounds right to me. Before I applied to CIC, I've also asked an immigrant consultant in Calgary, the company said would charge $4000 to... basically babysit my documents?
There is no way I'm going to pay that much :p
I ended up just applying myself since I didn't really need their help, my case was just straight forward.
If you run into any problems, just come back to this forum to search for answers

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
I paid $2000 with Campbell Cohen (canadavisa.com). I think the consultant/lawyer is worth the money. I've been in Canada a long time and spent a lot of money here. The last $2,000 to make sure I get my immigration is well worth it. They don't just baby sit your papers, assessing your situation to see if you are eligible, knowing all the laws, knowing which paper work increases your chances of getting approved, and I also think the government gets the message not to mess around with you as lawyers know the laws inside and out and no matter the amount of people on this forum, none are immigration lawyers. When you use a lawyer, all communication with the government goes through them. Just my two cents.

ThreeSquareImm

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a consultant myself, I would say that $2500 for a CEC application is a bit higher than normal, but not entirely too expensive.

Like everyone else has been stating, it is not necessary to retain a consultant or lawyer. However, most people use our services when:

1) They don't have time or energy to undertake the process themselves
2) Have a complex case, usually involving previous rejections, unique family or medical situation and criminal issues.

CEC applications are fairly straightforward. If you speak English and are educated, you should be able to fill out the forms yourself and save $2500. That's a month's rent in Vancouver!!:)

carlopop

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
AOR Received.
15-08-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-04-2013
Med's Done....
25-04-2013
LANDED..........
08-11-2013
Is that the going rate for rent in Vancouver! God bless Ontario.

CanadaCEC

Nov 20, 2012
Guys,

Now, I need a Lawyers or registered immigration consultant, the question is who is best Lawyers in Toronto/Mississauga area ? what is the different between Immigration Lawyers and registered immigration consultant. Thanks

Narcissusblue

Sep 24, 2012
Thanks guys for all your helpful information!!

Johnny31 said:
I collected my documents and applied myself. unless you have a very difficult case, you don't need a consultant. it's actually very straight forward when it comes to what CIC is looking for. just follow their guides and checklists and you should be ok! and if you have questions, feel free to put it on forums here and someone can give you advice from their own experience.

The reason why I feel insecure to DIY my application is that my salary doesn't match my job title. The previous several consultants I've met with were all negative about my case. They didn't give my any useful suggestions or solutions other than just ask me to find a better paid job =.=! They asked me to refer to the standard average salary in BC which I think is unrealistic and unattainable for me at this moment. Look at the reality - so many people are either losing jobs or being underpaid.... However, this consultant I mentioned earlier was confident about my case. He explained that what matters more is my job duty. He will find the equivalent position under NOC to explain my job tile, joy duty and my salary. He will also write the reference letter for me to get signed by the company's responsible person.

What do you guys think? Does the salary really matter that much? How did you determine your NOC code when you were preparing your application?

Thanks in advance!!