+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with TRV renewal from outside Canada with an open work permit

Mahi1993

Dec 12, 2023
Hello

I have a valid open work permit, and I am outside Canada. I want to renew my TRV since my old one has expired. I work in Canada and I was forced to travel to my home country for a short trip. I am a little confused with two questions 7 and 9 in the IMM 5752 form: "7. What is your current country or territory of residence? " and " 9. What is the country where you are applying?"
Based on my understanding, since I am a temporary resident of Canada, I think the answer for question 7 is Canada and the answer for question 9 is my home country that I am in right now. But I have been advised by several people that I should write my home country for both questions. Please let me know what you think about this issue. Thanks for your help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello

I have a valid open work permit, and I am outside Canada. I want to renew my TRV since my old one has expired. I work in Canada and I was forced to travel to my home country for a short trip. I am a little confused with two questions 7 and 9 in the IMM 5752 form: "7. What is your current country or territory of residence? " and " 9. What is the country where you are applying?"
Based on my understanding, since I am a temporary resident of Canada, I think the answer for question 7 is Canada and the answer for question 9 is my home country that I am in right now. But I have been advised by several people that I should write my home country for both questions. Please let me know what you think about this issue. Thanks for your help.
You cannot renew a TRV. You apply for a new one. 7. Canada 9. Country applying from. Where are you applying from?

Reactions: Mahi1993

Mahi1993

Dec 12, 2023
You cannot renew a TRV. You apply for a new one. 7. Canada 9. Country applying from. Where are you applying from?
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, you are right; I need a new TRV.

My home country is Iran. So, do you think I should write Canada as my current country of residence in the IMM 5752e form although I am currently in Iran for a short time?

This way, when I answer "Canada" in the current country of residence in the eligibility questions, it takes me to the exact same path of TRV application from inside Canada (but I am applying outside). Wouldn't it cause an issue? If my application is approved, and I receive a passport request email, can I send my passport to any VAC (and not to Ottawa)?

Many thanks

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, you are right; I need a new TRV.

My home country is Iran. So, do you think I should write Canada as my current country of residence in the IMM 5752e form although I am currently in Iran for a short time?

This way, when I answer "Canada" in the current country of residence in the eligibility questions, it takes me to the exact same path of TRV application from inside Canada (but I am applying outside). Wouldn't it cause an issue? If my application is approved, and I receive a passport request email, can I send my passport to any VAC (and not to Ottawa)?

Many thanks
You need to choose Iran as Country of Residence since you need new TRV.

Reactions: Mahi1993

Mahi1993

Dec 12, 2023
You need to choose Iran as the Country of Residence since you need a new TRV.
Thank you. The problem is that in the eligibility questions when I choose Iran as my current country of residence, and I answer "work" to the question "What would like to do in Canada" (considering the fact that I have an open work permit), it does not give me the eligibility of TRV (it says you need to apply for a work permit, but I already have one). The only way to get eligibility for a visa is to answer this question "Yes" although it is not my case: "Do you have a job offer and your employer gave you an LMIA number". Could you please guide me on how to get the eligibility of TRV with my open work permit from outside Canada? Tnx