AOR Received.
Oct 2014
File Transfer...
Dec 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
Interview........
March 2015
I am hoping that someone may be able to shed some light/help.

I sponsored my husband in August 2014 (outland). CIC requested the new form which I sent and they received it October 15, 2014.

End of November they sent me a letter which I received in January 2015.

The sponsorship approval stage was denied because over 20 years ago I sponsored my mother and her husband, after they separated her husband applied for welfare (2001), I was never notified, I was pretty upset about this because is going to delay my papers. I requested the information from the overpayment recovery unit and they are working on it, I should receive the letter next week and I intend to pay the money right away. However, the overpayment unit will still take 4 more weeks to send me confirmation of repayment.

When I submitted my husband's application I paid the fees in full, he did his medicals and police clearance and I checked the box to continue the processing and forward the application to the Visa office.

The letter I received from CIC says that
"a sponsorship can only be approved if all eligibility requirements for sponsorship are met on the day on which the application was filed and from that day until the day a decision is made with respect to the application"

My understanding is that I have to withdraw the application, receive confirmation that the payment has been recovered by welfare and then submit a new application. I have not withdrawn the application yet. When I called CIC, they told me that as long as I pay the money I would no longer be found to be ineligible but the people that answer the phone in the call centre all give you different information.

I was waiting for the letter from social services so I did not withdraw the application. The thing is that now my husband received a letter from the visa office that he has an interview on March 24th.

They probably figured its an easy denial since my sponsorship approval stage (1st stage) was denied. Another wrinkle in the process is that my husband lived in Canada for almost a year, he is a denied refugee and if approved will have to apply for Authorization to return

I have a few questions:
if my husband takes the confirmation of repayment of social assistance benefits letter to the interview, does the visa officer have the power to approve his application even though Mississauga denied me as a sponsor?

I am really hoping that I will have the letter by then. My other question: are we able to reschedule the interview to a later date?, has anyone been able to do this? I realize is a very slim chance but I rather take the chance than not try.

We have lots of proof over 100 pages of communication (doubled sided) from viber, sent more than 20 photographs, letters from family and friends, I work F/T and have enough funds to support my husband but I also know that in this case the officer has most likely already made a decision.

I plan to talk to my MP, they already know about my case because I had to involve them when I waited over 6 weeks for the response from CIC (ecas showed decision made Nov 27, 2014 but I didn't receive the letter until January 6, 2015).

Has anyone read about a denied case that has been approved at the interview stage, I know it would take a miracle to be approved, we already started collecting the original documents for a new application(option C, police clearance, pictures etc) I hope we don't have to go through the waiting period again, we will if we have to but I was hoping someone may be able to offer some information/advice.

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Since it is almost time for the interview, I would not cancel the application. Send in the proof you have repaid once you get it, and also have your husband take proof to the interview. If the official proof hasn't arrived by then, he can take other proof you've paid. The visa officer is within his rights to deny, but he might accept the repayment so it is worth trying. The VOs do have discretion.

Violet11

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2014
Doc's Request.
ARC submitted April 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 2014
File Transfer...
Dec 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
Interview........
March 2015
canadianwoman said:
Since it is almost time for the interview, I would not cancel the application. Send in the proof you have repaid once you get it, and also have your husband take proof to the interview. If the official proof hasn't arrived by then, he can take other proof you've paid. The visa officer is within his rights to deny, but he might accept the repayment so it is worth trying. The VOs do have discretion.

Thanks for your response, Yes my husband will go for the interview and he will take proof of payment, I hope they accept it and we dont have to go through this process again