+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP plz!!

stephxr

Dec 14, 2009
I became landed immigrant on Oct 5th. in BC. But my PR card was lost on its way to me. I never received it. I was told to apply again and I did. But the paper I was given said I can't apply for a SIN until I get my PR. Now I need to go to see doctor. I am sick. What can I do?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can use your Confirmation of Permanent Residence to apply for health insurance and a SIN number.

stephxr

Dec 14, 2009
But on the service Canada website said
Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada.
?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
stephxr said:
But on the service Canada website said
Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada.
?
You could have gone straight to the Service Canada closest to your place when you landed, showed the officer your COPR and you coiuld have gotten your SIN same day. Anyway if you have your COPR go to the closest Service Canada and get your SIN. You'll get your number same day and they'll send your SIN card in a few weeks (forgot how long, I think 2 weeks). For your MSP, you can send the application form and ask to be covered starting January 2010.

https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/enrolment.html

app form:

https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/102fil.pdf

Phone No: 604 683 7151

stephxr

Dec 14, 2009
I went service Canada on Monday. The answer is "NO." I can't get SIN until I get my PR card. "That's the only way," I was told. Because I applied for PR inside Canada.
So now I can only wait for my PR card and hope it won't get missing again on its way to me :(

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
stephxr said:
I went service Canada on Monday. The answer is "NO." I can't get SIN until I get my PR card. "That's the only way," I was told. Because I applied for PR inside Canada.
So now I can only wait for my PR card and hope it won't get missing again on its way to me :(
Hi,

But you can apply for MSP with just a copy of your COPR. And all you need is your health card (or just the number if you have sent the app form) to get the health care you need now.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Inland applications are held different. it could be possible.

I had outland application and got my SIN next day I landed. the only thing that makes me confused - why SIN needed for a health care?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Suin said:
Inland applications are held different. it could be possible.

I had outland application and got my SIN next day I landed. the only thing that makes me confused - why SIN needed for a health care?
Hi Suin,

She does not need the SIN for registering for MSP coverage. She needs the COPR. Probably for SIN she needs her PR card.

https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/102fil.pdf (Application Form)

Q2A Provide Photocopies of...
Holder of Permanent Resident Status Record of Landing, PR Card (front and back) or COPR

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should not need a SIN for OHIP. You can get either one with COPR or PR card. The only exception is for inland applicants, who need a COPR to get a SIN number.

Reactions: Jbird

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
outland applicants need COPR for SIN application too. that what they asked me right away on my SIN application in Service Canada office.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Typo on my part. I meant that inland applicants have to have a PR card for a SIN number.

Outland applicants can use their COPR and visa, or if they have a PR card, just the PR card. That's the official information. Individual agents may say something different, but they would be wrong. Which would not surprise me. :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Karlshammar said:
Typo on my part. I meant that inland applicants have to have a PR card for a SIN number.

Outland applicants can use their COPR and visa, or if they have a PR card, just the PR card. That's the official information. Individual agents may say something different, but they would be wrong. Which would not surprise me. :)
Amen to this Karlshammar. I called on two occasions, same question (just wanted clarification) and I received two different answers from two different agents :)