+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Permanent Residence who was Protected Person

YoyoTofi

Star Member
Apr 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I am currently a protected person BUT I have an interview with CIC office and will get my COPR this Friday :)

Just simple question, My job require travelling outside Canada mostly to the united states so CAN I use my county of origin passport and the PR card when I travel? In other words can a permanent residence who was a protected person use his nationality passport for travelling? Is that will put me at any risk or it is normal?

I know there is a travel document for refugee but some countries do not accept this document like Gulf countries, BTW I already have travel document and it will expire soon.

Thanks in Advance

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Using the passport of the very country you claim you have faced persecution is not only IMHO morally wrong but legally places you at risk of being deemed to have re-availed yourself the protection of the said country of persecution. If this is the case then you no longer need Canada's protection and your refugee status will be revoked at a vacate status hearing. Use the travel document until the day you obtain your Canadian citizenship and have access to a Canadian Passport.

YoyoTofi

Star Member
Apr 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Using the passport of the very country you claim you have faced persecution is not only IMHO morally wrong but legally places you at risk of being deemed to have re-availed yourself the protection of the said country of persecution. If this is the case then you no longer need Canada's protection and your refugee status will be revoked at a vacate status hearing. Use the travel document until the day you obtain your Canadian citizenship and have access to a Canadian Passport.
Thanks Msafiri I appreciate your advice. I will contact Canada Passport to see if I can renew my travel document.