+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help?! Outland Spouse PR moving to Canada before confirmation?

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for help on a question because I’ve seen a lot of answers all over the place and didn’t want to spend money on an immigration consultation if we don’t need.

I (Canadian citizen) applied to Outland sponsor my husband from South Korea and it was received December 23, 2019 in Sydney. February we did his biometrics and his medical and he passed it March 4 and also that day we got information they transferred our file to the Mississauga office. We don’t need an interview or additional documents it says on our file. Then obviously the pandemic hit and no news from there. Our timeline on our file says 67% still and still says it should be finished by December 23, 2020.

My husband is planning on moving here in the middle of October and already quit his job in Korea at the airport for the end of September. We originally had thought his PR would have been approved by then with how quick it was moving before, but now who knows when it could be.

We figured when he gets the CoPR he would have to go back to Korea (and get more of his stuff and visit) but we realized he doesn’t have anywhere to quarantine there without paying $2000 because their rules of valid homes to stay are stricter than ours. Is there a way to be able to do the final stage in Canada? To go to a government office here and be approved? Or is the only option for him to have to cross the border, either back to Korea or even over the border to America to meet with a customs officer to be approved? If he does have to cross, does it have to be an airport? Or can we drive across the border and meet a customs officer?

Also from Korea he doesn’t normally need a tourist visa, just an eTA. From what I’ve read form the government instructions, he would just need our marriage certificate, a copy of proof of our application and a quarantine plan to enter, correct?

Thank you to anyone with any information! Sorry I am so unsure of where to look and stressed and thought I would try my luck in here.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for help on a question because I’ve seen a lot of answers all over the place and didn’t want to spend money on an immigration consultation if we don’t need.

I (Canadian citizen) applied to Outland sponsor my husband from South Korea and it was received December 23, 2019 in Sydney. February we did his biometrics and his medical and he passed it March 4 and also that day we got information they transferred our file to the Mississauga office. We don’t need an interview or additional documents it says on our file. Then obviously the pandemic hit and no news from there. Our timeline on our file says 67% still and still says it should be finished by December 23, 2020.

My husband is planning on moving here in the middle of October and already quit his job in Korea at the airport for the end of September. We originally had thought his PR would have been approved by then with how quick it was moving before, but now who knows when it could be.

We figured when he gets the CoPR he would have to go back to Korea (and get more of his stuff and visit) but we realized he doesn’t have anywhere to quarantine there without paying $2000 because their rules of valid homes to stay are stricter than ours. Is there a way to be able to do the final stage in Canada? To go to a government office here and be approved? Or is the only option for him to have to cross the border, either back to Korea or even over the border to America to meet with a customs officer to be approved? If he does have to cross, does it have to be an airport? Or can we drive across the border and meet a customs officer?

Also from Korea he doesn’t normally need a tourist visa, just an eTA. From what I’ve read form the government instructions, he would just need our marriage certificate, a copy of proof of our application and a quarantine plan to enter, correct?

Thank you to anyone with any information! Sorry I am so unsure of where to look and stressed and thought I would try my luck in here.
First the progress bar is based on the average processing times before covid and aren’t a representative of the progress of your case. It is just to give a visual representation of where you are approximately in the processing timeframe. You should not be counting on the completion date especially during covid. Lots of people still waiting even though the progress bar says 100%.

He can come to Canada but only as a visitor and should not appear to be moving. For example he should not have all his possessions with him. Yes he can come to Canada as long as he show he is the spouse of a Canadian citizen and PR. He must either quarantine in an area of your home separate from you like a basement with a bathroom or you can quarantine together but you’ll need to quarantine as well for 14 days. One in Canada he should send in a webform indicating he is Canada now. Currently there are virtual landings for those who are in Canada.