+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed.

sdsmvcc

Oct 5, 2011
Hi I am a permanent resident (almost 3 years in CA) and some months ago I met my girlfriend. She has a 1 year worker Visa, but she really wants to stay here, and ofcourse i want her to stay to ;D

The problem is, she is not a professional, she was studying back in her country, and she wants to finish her career but she is not professional yet.

What are the chances and options for someone like her? She speaks english and some french, she has experience working in labs, and other areas and she is 23.

Any idea or advise is going to be welcome.

Also is there any option for foreign students to get any kind of pret or bourse for studying in a university in Montreal?

We have a lot of questions but we want to get as much info as possible before taking any decision.
Btw she is from Brazil maybe that info is useful.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if she is not a professional, it is possible that her job is considered skilled. If that is the case, it would be a little easier for her to immigrate. Still, if you are in Quebec, I am not too familiar with their immigration classes. You can have a look yourself at http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html

One thing that will work for you for sure is if you live together as a couple for a year or more or get married, then you can sponsor her for PR.

sdsmvcc

Oct 5, 2011
Hi Leon and thanks a lot for your answer... About the living together thing. Her visa expires in February, is there any way to extend that Visa? If we live together I can sponsor her as a common law partner. We dont want to get married just for this. But if it is necessary believe me we will.

Edit:
Another quick question... Do you know how long it takes to sponsor someone who is already here in Canada (as a common law partner or married?)

Thanks A LOT again!
:D :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sdsmvcc said:
Hi Leon and thanks a lot for your answer... About the living together thing. Her visa expires in February, is there any way to extend that Visa? If we live together I can sponsor her as a common law partner. We dont want to get married just for this. But if it is necessary believe me we will.

Edit:
Another quick question... Do you know how long it takes to sponsor someone who is already here in Canada (as a common law partner or married?)
You can apply to change her status from worker to visitor. Write that you are living together for x months, waiting for the 12 month mark to apply for sponsorship. Also show that you have arranged for her health insurance and show your income or funds that you can and will support her. The processing time to change status can take 2-4 months but during that time she can stay in Canada because if she applies before her visa expires, she is under implied status until she hears back. In case they say no to the visitor status, you will buy more waiting time by mailing your application to change status rather than applying online.

You should start working on your sponsorship application at the same time. There is a lot of paperwork involved and you want to be close to ready at the 12 month mark. Do not get her police clearances too soon though as they may be no older than 3 months when you apply.

The processing times for spousal sponsorship are the following:

Inland in Canada (Vegreville): Average 9 - 10 months to first stage approval which means health care and open work permit if you have applied for it at the same time and after that another 9 months for PR, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp An inland applicant should not leave Canada while the application is being processed.

Outland through Brazil: 68 days in Mississauga, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp and up to 10 months (80% of cases) in Sao Paulo.

I would recommend that you apply outland through Brazil rather than inland because it will be much faster for her to get PR, also if she has to leave Canada, it will not affect the processing.

sdsmvcc

Oct 5, 2011
Woooow Leon thanks a lot for all the info!!! I will start working on this now. Provably I will be back over here with more questions soon, I am quite sure about it. But for now Just THANKS A LOT!! I owe you a beer! (a bunch of them)