+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help needed for renewal of PRC

khansalmankk

May 22, 2014
Dear All,

My PR Card is going to expire in December 2014. I will apply for renewal of PR Card soon. But before that, I have a few questions regarding renewal of PR Card and urgent travelling.

1) If I apply for Urgent Renewal of PR Card, what is the processing time of urgent application?
Extra Information: I would be travelling in November 2014, which means after 3 Months from now.

2) Do I have to return my existing PR Card while applying for renewal of PR Card or it would be in my custody till the new card issuance?

Response awaited,

Thanks

joeblowcocomo

Apr 25, 2013
To qualify for urgent processing, you must be:

travelling in the next three months, and
returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, train, boat or bus.

Thus, you do not qualify yet for urgent processing.

khansalmankk

May 22, 2014
joeblowcocomo said:
To qualify for urgent processing, you must be:

travelling in the next three months, and
returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, train, boat or bus.

Thus, you do not qualify yet for urgent processing.
thanks ..

and what about question 2 ?

Do I have to return my existing PR Card while applying for renewal of PR Card or it would be in my custody till the new card issuance?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khansalmankk said:
thanks ..

and what about question 2 ?

Do I have to return my existing PR Card while applying for renewal of PR Card or it would be in my custody till the new card issuance?
You can keep your PR card until you get the new one.

khansalmankk

May 22, 2014
Leon said:
You can keep your PR card until you get the new one.
Thanks Leon.

It means that I can go outside Canada after applying for renewal of PRC.

Another question arises here, can anyone send my renewed PR card outside Canada or should I go for travel document? I mean is it fine to send PR card outside Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khansalmankk said:
Thanks Leon.

It means that I can go outside Canada after applying for renewal of PRC.

Another question arises here, can anyone send my renewed PR card outside Canada or should I go for travel document? I mean is it fine to send PR card outside Canada?
It is fine to travel outside Canada after having applied to renew and it is fine to mail a PR card. However, there is no guarantee that your renewed PR card will be mailed to your Canadian address. They could ask you to pick it up in person. If they do, you will have to go for a travel document in order to return. Processing time for a travel document can be quite long in some countries so you could be stuck for a while.

khansalmankk

May 22, 2014
Leon said:
It is fine to travel outside Canada after having applied to renew and it is fine to mail a PR card. However, there is no guarantee that your renewed PR card will be mailed to your Canadian address. They could ask you to pick it up in person. If they do, you will have to go for a travel document in order to return. Processing time for a travel document can be quite long in some countries so you could be stuck for a while.
thanks again..

well if they ask me to come in person, can I enter from US by showing them my expired PRC & Landing Papers?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khansalmankk said:
thanks again..

well if they ask me to come in person, can I enter from US by showing them my expired PRC & Landing Papers?
Yes, if you enter on foot or with a private/rented car. With an expired PRC, you may have problems with the airlines letting you board.