+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed for keeping our PR of Canada Active....

Sweetsmile

Sep 17, 2012
Hello Dear Friends,

Here is my situation. I applied for Canada PR and I got the PR in June 2012. I did my landing on May 23rd,2012.and I lived 35 days in Toronto. I received my PR card with an expiry date of May 18th, 2017.

Now based on the above information can you please answer following questions.

1)If I will move to Canada on May/June 2015 or 2016 will there be any issue from an immigration officer asking me or quizzing me ?

2)If I move with my kids to Toronto on May 2015/2016,and My husband living in the Middle East ,would it create any problem for us or my husband if we apply for renewal of PR Cards?(If we go to Canada being a PR,with in 5 years means if one year would be left in expiring PR Cards then?)

3)What is the maximum time limit for staying outside Canada safely, in order not to lose my PR Status?

4)As New Citizenship Rules have been out so would that apply on us?or from which date it would be in effect?

What should I suppose to do to maintain resident ship status of Canada while living in Middle East for next 1-2 years?

Really appreciate your all expert opinions and many thanks for that!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes - you could run into issues since you may not meet the residency obligation depending on when you return to Canada. To meet the residency obligationa and keep your PR status, you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. It's possible you could be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement when you enter Canada. If you are reported, you will need to appear in front of a judge to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status even though you haven't met the residency obligation.
2) To keep his PR status, your husband must also meet the PR residency requirement by living in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years.
3) Three years out of every five rolling years is the maximum amount of time you can stay out of Canada.
4) The new citizenship rules will apply to everyone who hasn't applied for citizenship yet. So yes - they will apply to you.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Sweetsmile said:
What should I suppose to do to maintain resident ship status of Canada while living in Middle East for next 1-2 years?
There is really nothing you can do other than move back to Canada to fulfill your residency obligation.