confirmed 18-6-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-07-2011
Hello,
I need to hear some positive stories from people that moved to Vancouver. Myself and our children are supposed to be moving up there from the US to join my husband within 2 months. However, from almost the beginning I wasn't sure if I wanted to go. I will be quitting a great job, for us to live on one income for a while (while our young child gets acclimated). He's been gone since last year, and I've gotten used to doing things on my own, although I have family here to help sometimes. I've gotten used to keeping the status quo. I am sad sometimes but it is really bad on the days that I need to hand in my letter of resignation. I've almost done it 3 times but then some issue comes up. He has gotten a good job up there so we'd need to live on a budget, but we could make it fine, and he does have one family member up there. I tried to search for sites with positive things, but I came upon a site stating how awful the Vancouver area is (dreary and people were unfriendly, no arts) We wouldn't be living in the city because where we currently live has a lot of open space, it is more residential and has many family activities, and very low crime, and that is what I am looking for up there too. Is Port Coquitlam like this? Can someone tell me some positive things about their move to the Vancouver area. Thank you.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
What town are you comparing Vancouver to?

I visit there frequently, and find the people very friendly. The weather is sublime from April to November, and can be rainy-dreary the remainder, but at least the temperature is moderate, even in the "cold" months. Of course, I was raised in Ottawa where the winters are brutal, so anything less cruel feels moderate to me. Vancouver is like Seattle, but is perhaps more "outdoorsy" (lots of young fit people who like sports, and who use the Canadian "eh?" instead of the American "huh?"), and offers fewer cultural amenities. A third of Vancouverites are Asian, so the place is becoming more multi-cultural, more interesting; I don't know about Seattle.

I hear that Port Coquitlam is less interesting, more blue collar (no correlation), quieter, less expensive. But I've never been there.

canadayogini

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
20-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-12-2010
Med's Done....
06-10-2010
Passport Req..
01-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2011
Any move or change is going to be difficult I think no matter where you go. Vancouver is consistently rated as a very desirable place to live - often the best in the world.

Do you have any friends or family or even work connections in Vancouver who could help you connect and build a better sense of the area? I understand it's very daunting right now, particularly if you haven't been (could you do a weekend trip before the official move to get more of a feel for what's around in the area you'd like to move to?)

You mention a young child and I think there is an opportunity there to seek your community from that... mother's group, play group, or structured activities - music or movement class - I've found these a great way to start to build a network within a community.

We have family that live in Coquitlam (not the port area though) and we've really really enjoyed each time we have visited there. You will always be able to find opinions that area contrary to that... but it's going to be your life, your space and will be what you make of it. As far as I could tell it was family friendly, open and there were lots of things to do. I got the impression that people could live very comfortably there forever... but again, it's what you will eventually make of it. The transition will no doubt be hard (we're about to do this ourselves and move from Australia to Canada) but if you have a plan and start by connecting yourself in within the community as quickly as you arrive I'm sure you will begin to enjoy it.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
canadayogini said:
Any move or change is going to be difficult I think no matter where you go. Vancouver is consistently rated as a very desirable place to live - often the best in the world.

Do you have any friends or family or even work connections in Vancouver who could help you connect and build a better sense of the area? I understand it's very daunting right now, particularly if you haven't been (could you do a weekend trip before the official move to get more of a feel for what's around in the area you'd like to move to?)
Really, life is simple in essence. All you need is financial security, a good grocery store, a decent cinema, a few good friends, and some good wine. I'm sure Port Coquitlam offers these.

And of course a loving spouse -- (did I almost forget to say that?!)

88mv

Jan 22, 2011
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 25, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 31, 2010
Med's Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
Sept 12, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 11, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 10, 2011
LANDED..........
April 13, 2011
I've always loved visiting Vancouver... I must have been lucky and got here during nice weather!
I landed on April 14th this year and I think it's rained all but maybe 2-4 days. It's definitely an adjustment. I come from a real small town in WI and I know there are many opportunities to get out there and meet new people, but I guess I don't know where to look. Hubby and I are staying with family right now, and of course it's a bit of a hike to the nearest bus stop so when he's at work I'm pretty stuck.
If anyone has any other ideas for meeting people in the area please comment.
I can't wait till we move to Walnut Grove at the end of this month.... we'll have everything within walking distance!