+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Need info re permanent residents entering Canada for the first time?

imogen24

Jul 12, 2009
My family got our immigrant visa this Oct 2009, we have until 17 Apr 10 to enter Canada.
We're planning to go there in March 2010 to apply for our PR card but can only stay for a week as we still have some business to finish here in Ireland, my questions are:
1. Although we are only going to stay for a week, do I still need to show proof of my funds? or they expect us to have the money in hand?
2. Is it safe to tell them that we're not staying there yet, but will be back after 6 months?
3.We are landing in Vancouver, although in the Generic form that we recieved along with our passports stated Toronto?
4. Wiil it matter if the Canadian address we will provide for them to send our PR cards is on a different state i.e Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone, who has a good knowledge re my situation, please enlighten me.
Thanks a mil.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

imogen24 said:
My family got our immigrant visa this Oct 2009, we have until 17 Apr 10 to enter Canada.
We're planning to go there in March 2010 to apply for our PR card but can only stay for a week as we still have some business to finish here in Ireland, my questions are:
1. Although we are only going to stay for a week, do I still need to show proof of my funds? or they expect us to have the money in hand?
2. Is it safe to tell them that we're not staying there yet, but will be back after 6 months?
3.We are landing in Vancouver, although in the Generic form that we recieved along with our passports stated Toronto?
4. Wiil it matter if the Canadian address we will provide for them to send our PR cards is on a different state i.e Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone, who has a good knowledge re my situation, please enlighten me.
Thanks a mil.
1. Yes you have to show proof of funds for the whole family.
2. You can tell them, they will probably tell you to give CIC an address when you return (if within 180 days) and your PR cards will be mailed, otherwise you and your family will have to pay and apply for new PR cards.
3. As long as it is not Quebec and you didn't apply under a PNP program, it is fine.
4. It is up to the examining IO if they will accept the address or not.

PMM

inky

Jul 15, 2009
One more question on the proof of funds during the landing. Can I show the bank statement from my home country? Or the money should be transferred already to Canada or to be in form of cheques?

Thanks a lot in advance

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

inky said:
One more question on the proof of funds during the landing. Can I show the bank statement from my home country? Or the money should be transferred already to Canada or to be in form of cheques?

Thanks a lot in advance
Yes, as long as it is a currency convertible in Canada.

PMM