+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Marriage Certificate attested from Ministry of External Affairs New Delhi

nifty123

Sep 6, 2014
Hi,
I live in Canada (PR) and need to add the spouse name in the passport. While going through the BLS international website, found the below information,

Addition of spouse's name to the passport after marriage: If Married in India – Marriage Certificate should be attested from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.

Our marriage took place in Tamilnadu and have got the certificate from marriage registrar office. Can anyone tell me the steps to get the attestation from Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi as I cannot go there in person?

Blr

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 November 2014
AOR Received.
AOR1: 17 Jan 2015, SA: 30 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
File received at NDVO: 13 Feb 2015 (Through CaseReviewTeam as no AOR2), IP: 12 Sept 2015
Med's Done....
17-07-2014
nifty123 said:
Hi,
I live in Canada (PR) and need to add the spouse name in the passport. While going through the BLS international website, found the below information,

Addition of spouse's name to the passport after marriage: If Married in India – Marriage Certificate should be attested from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.

Our marriage took place in Tamilnadu and have got the certificate from marriage registrar office. Can anyone tell me the steps to get the attestation from Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi as I cannot go there in person?
Our requirement was little different from you. But still it will be helpful for you.

My wife is a Canadian PR and Indian Citizen living in Canada and I am an Indian Citizen living in India, waiting for Spousal Sponsorship Permanent Resident visa.

She wanted to replace her last name by my first name and add my name in spouse name space and reflect these changes in new Indian Passport.

Will explain what we have done and how she got a new Indian Passport from Indian Consulate, Toronto.

Get your original marriage certificate notarized by an Indian Notary.

Get it attested by the concerned state department official (In our case it was a Secretary Rank Official in Home Department, Gov. Of Kerala. More info at http://www.mea.gov.in/apostille.htm

Submit this marriage certificate at one of the VFS Office in Bangalore or Chennai for Ministry Of External Affairs, New Delhi Apostille by paying their fees (Rs.550, i think). They will get back it attested by Ministry Of External Affairs, New Delhi in one week.

We prepared a Joint Notary affidavit in India in the format (Annexure "D") given in http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/annexureAffidavit

Indian Consulate, Toronto wants above Affidavit as a joint affidavit prepared in Canada, but we couldn't do as I am living in India. Hence we made in India.

Wife prepared a Notarized affidavit in Canada stating that "She is married to Citizen and Resident of India, Want to obtain a new Indian passport by changing her name, wants to add husband's name in spouse name space, a joint Indian notary affidavit is attached as Canadian joint notary affidavit cannot be made.....etc"

Filled the online application form at https://passport.gov.in/nri and took a print out. (More info at http://www.cgitoronto.ca/content/passport-general-information)

Submit all these at BLS International in your area in Canada by paying the fees and other required documents (She was asked to submit her original Indian passport, Original PR Card, Canada and Indian Notary affidavits, Original marriage certificate attested by Ministry of External affairs.......All these will be returned to you along with New Indian Passport)

She got her New Indian passport with New Name and Old Indian Passport (with Cancelled and Returned stamp) in two weeks.

Done a Legal name change procedure in Manitoba....waiting for this Certificate and will do name change in PR card too soon .

Hope this helps...........

nifty123

Sep 6, 2014
Thanks much for the detailed information. I will go through the links mentioned and may contact incase of any additional information. Thanks once again for the prompt response.

Blr

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 November 2014
AOR Received.
AOR1: 17 Jan 2015, SA: 30 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
File received at NDVO: 13 Feb 2015 (Through CaseReviewTeam as no AOR2), IP: 12 Sept 2015
Med's Done....
17-07-2014
nifty123 said:
Thanks much for the detailed information. I will go through the links mentioned and may contact incase of any additional information. Thanks once again for the prompt response.

As per BLS International New Passport/Renewal of Passport Application (Toronto Indian Consulate Jurisdiction) Checklist http://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/BLS-CAN10Toronto-PassportRe-Issue-Checklist-Rev4.0.pdf

Marital Status - Addition or Deletion of Name of Spouse:

If married in India:
- Marriage Certificate: Attested by the State Home Dept. where the marriage was registered, and by MEA (Ministry of External
Affairs) New Delhi.
- Joint Notarized Affidavit from
a lawyer in Canada with picture of the couple.

In case of change of name of women after marriage:

If married in India:
o Marriage Certificate: Attested by the State Home Dept. where the marriage was registered, and by MEA (Ministry of
External Affairs), New Delhi
o Notarized affidavit from
a lawyer in Canada

As per the above check list you need to provide a Joint Canadian Notary affidavit to add spouse name and change Sur Name of wife in the new Indian passport. And to make Joint Notary Affidavit in Canada, both Husband and Wife need to appear in front of Canadian Notary in Canada. It was not possible for us as I live in India. Hence we prepared the Joint Notary Affidavit in India and Wife made a Single Canadian Notary affidavit in Canada stating Her Sur Name to be changed and Husband name must be added in New Indian Passport.

In the same affidavit it was mentioned that Joint Canadian Affidavit cannot be made as Husband lives in India and hence a Joint Indian Notary Affidavit is attached (mentioned its Stamp paper number too)

BLS and Indian Consulate accepted it and Her New Passport with Sur Name Change and Spouse Name addition was issued in just 13 days!!!!!

As per the check list at: Forms/Check List http://www.blsindia-canada.com/new_ppt.php , Vancouver Indian Consulate and Ottawa Indian High Commission do not require the above said Joint Affidavits.

Dec 28, 2015
namratha prasad said:
Hi

Could you please update on which Annexure you exactly used for getting notary from India?
The Annexure D as mentioned by you above is
SPECIMEN DECLARATION BY APPLICANT’S PARENT(S) OR GUARDIAN FOR ISSUE OF PASSPORT TO MINOR.
We dont have kids .
I fall under the same scenario,my hubby is in Canada(he has a PR) & am in India.we have got state n MEA attestation done,that joint affidavit is pending.It would be really help full if u can sshare yours n your wife's affidavite copy or the format.
Thank u

Kickboxing

May 13, 2017
Dears,

I have a different situation.

I have attested my marriage certificate from ministry of foreign affiar, but the stamps looks very faded..however the numbers are very clear. I guess its because of the quality of paper of marriage certificate

Do you think that can be an issue? Please note that rest everything is very readable.