+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP : Is TOEFL still accepted for Canadian Visa ??

Manpreet_rieit

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have received few offers from canadian universities on the basis of my TOEFL scores. Now some people are saying that CGC s not accepting TOEFL scores and IELTS is mandatory.

I emailed them to enquire about this and this is the response I got :

"Please be informed, as per the guidelines from the Canadian High Commission, IELTS is strongly recommended if you are applying for the study permit application, however, it is not mandatory. If you wish, you may submit TOEFLS instead of IELTS, however, rest of the discretion will still remain with the Canadian High Commission."

Now what do you guys say ? Should I go ahead with my TOEFL score ??

I don't want any unwanted delays in my VISA processing.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Manpreet_rieit said:
Hi,

I have received few offers from canadian universities on the basis of my TOEFL scores. Now some people are saying that CGC s not accepting TOEFL scores and IELTS is mandatory.

I emailed them to enquire about this and this is the response I got :

"Please be informed, as per the guidelines from the Canadian High Commission, IELTS is strongly recommended if you are applying for the study permit application, however, it is not mandatory. If you wish, you may submit TOEFLS instead of IELTS, however, rest of the discretion will still remain with the Canadian High Commission."

Now what do you guys say ? Should I go ahead with my TOEFL score ??

I don't want any unwanted delays in my VISA processing.
they accept toefl....but it is still up to u ....i my self used toefl for visa.....

Manpreet_rieit

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Mead - Thanks a lot for the update. I have just sent an email to Delhi & Chandigarh consulate for the same. Lets see what do they say ??

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
Yes, you can use Toefl.

Good Luck.

allam

Dec 9, 2012
Mumbai,India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
overall 8.0
for visa purpose ielts is recommended.
The way toefl is recommended for US Visa ...you need to give ielts for Canada visa..

Manpreet_rieit

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Allam - IELTS is recommended... but its not a mandate... right ?? So that means that TOEFL will also do. :-X

ultra99

Jun 25, 2011
Honestly I don't understand why would CIC require Ielts or even toefl? Wouldn't the visa acceptance be based on letter of acceptance?

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
IELTS and TOEFL are both required by the institutions (uni-college) and are of same value, no difference at all...
None of them has anything to do with visa chances- approval etc

navigill20

Star Member
Mar 8, 2013
Chd
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Toefl should not be a problem but,
CHC considers only celpip and ielts as designated testing agencies (cic website)because their test scores can be verified later unlike toefl.
IELTS is recommended, so why take the risk. I was also in confusion. So i went ahead with ielts.

navigill20

Star Member
Mar 8, 2013
Chd
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manpreet_rieit said:
@ Mead - Thanks a lot for the update. I have just sent an email to Delhi & Chandigarh consulate for the same. Lets see what do they say ??
Bai reply aya koi?
I was told by consultants to take ielts

allam

Dec 9, 2012
Mumbai,India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
overall 8.0
Manpreet_rieit said:
@ Allam - IELTS is recommended... but its not a mandate... right ?? So that means that TOEFL will also do. :-X
see it is question of visa approval..which i think you should not take chance of going with toefl.
It is better for you to take ielts as soon as possible..
I do not know nyone who applied visa to canada throu toefl
I know ielts is not mandatory
Now its upto you to decide...

Manpreet_rieit

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont expect any replies to the email I have sent. So I called the Chandigarh consulate. I told her that I have already taken TOEFL and got a decent score of 97 on120 and on behalf of my TOEFL scores I have also received offers from a couple of univs. She said that "IELTS is not a mandate but higly recommended. You can take your chances with TOEFL but I would advise you to go with IELTS."

Now what kindaa stupid reply is that. Why dont they say it clearly. What does she meant by "Take you chances". Either make IELTS mandatory or accept both without saying "you can take your chance".

M fed up with all this... and think that I should once again waste around Rs 10 thousand and take IELTS. What a waste of time n money.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Manpreet_rieit said:
I dont expect any replies to the email I have sent. So I called the Chandigarh consulate. I told her that I have already taken TOEFL and got a decent score of 97 on120 and on behalf of my TOEFL scores I have also received offers from a couple of univs. She said that "IELTS is not a mandate but higly recommended. You can take your chances with TOEFL but I would advise you to go with IELTS."

Now what kindaa stupid reply is that. Why dont they say it clearly. What does she meant by "Take you chances". Either make IELTS mandatory or accept both without saying "you can take your chance".

M fed up with all this... and think that I should once again waste around Rs 10 thousand and take IELTS. What a waste of time n money.

1. TOEFL is fine. We have one visa approval with TOEFL, CHC Delhi.

Manpreet_rieit

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Enfield - TOEFL should be fine under general category as IELTS is mandatory for those applying under SPP.

But atleast they should write it down on their website that under general category TOEFL is acceptable. I don't even see any mention of TOEFL on theri website. God knows why they are creating so much of confusion for English proficiency test.

And they don't even reply to the email that TOEFL is ok. with this atleast I would have some proof in written that TOEFL is fine.

priyankar

Dec 8, 2013
I too have got a TOEFL score of 97...I will apply next year...Have you finally got visa by TOEFL??...please reply....