+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! I misunderstood the graduation date and applied PGWP 7 days after 90 day period

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Hi guys! I got the email from school to tell me that I could print the confirmation of graduation online at January 10, 2018, so I took that day as the graduation day. However, after applied online at March 26, 2018.
My friend told me that I made a mistake since on the paper it says the graduation date was December 18,2017 which means the expired day should be March 17,2018. I absolutely submitted the application late.

I was freaking out so I went to school to ask help immediately. They suggested me to write a letter on IRCC webform to explain and I did. But I am afraid that the letter was not clear because I wrote it in rush and didn't explain that much.

The truth is I spent the past three months in doing the preparation of job hunting. Practice my cover letter and resume writing skills, go to interviews. I finally got my first job offer and applied the PGWP. It seems I will lose it if I got rejected. I am so afraid of the rejection right now.

Do you guys think that I should write another letter on IRCC to explain more details or do you have any other advice for me ? urgent!

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
by the way, my student visa will expire on March 31,2018. Even my visa will expire on March 31, 2018. I am in a big trouble????

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Your letter would have mentioned when you graduated? Does it have anything in it to mention the graduation date?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi guys! I got the email from school to tell me that I could print the confirmation of graduation online at January 10, 2018, so I took that day as the graduation day. However, after applied online at March 26, 2018.
My friend told me that I made a mistake since on the paper it says the graduation date was December 18,2017 which means the expired day should be March 17,2018. I absolutely submitted the application late.

I was freaking out so I went to school to ask help immediately. They suggested me to write a letter on IRCC webform to explain and I did. But I am afraid that the letter was not clear because I wrote it in rush and didn't explain that much.

The truth is I spent the past three months in doing the preparation of job hunting. Practice my cover letter and resume writing skills, go to interviews. I finally got my first job offer and applied the PGWP. It seems I will lose it if I got rejected. I am so afraid of the rejection right now.

Do you guys think that I should write another letter on IRCC to explain more details or do you have any other advice for me ? urgent!
Do you have a letter of completion which says the date on when you actually finished school? Not including the graduation date.

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Your letter would have mentioned when you graduated? Does it have anything in it to mention the graduation date?
The letter mentioned this:

IMPORTANT IMMIGRATION INFORMATION

Now that you have received written notification of graduation, you are no longer eligible to work in Canada unless you have submitted an application for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). If you intend to apply for a PGWP you must:
(a) have a valid study permit;
and (b) apply within 90 days of the date your graduation document was issued.

We recommend using the 'credential awarded' date on your final transcript. Read more at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

Please use our instruction guide to help prepare your PGWP application: http://international.humber.ca/student-services/permits-visas/postgraduate-work-permits.html

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Do you have a letter of completion which says the date on when you actually finished school? Not including the graduation date.
No, there was no date in the letter. But on the confirmation of graduation, the issue time is January 10, 2018, the graduation date is December 18, 2017.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I don't remember, but the issue date on the transcripts is January 10, 2018. It was mailed to me so it means I probably received it one week after January 10.
Applicants must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (e.g., an official letter or transcript) from the educational institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study. Calculation of the 90 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first.

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Applicants must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (e.g., an official letter or transcript) from the educational institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study. Calculation of the 90 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first.
Does this mean that I could take January 10th 2018 as the start of the 90 days?

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
From what I understand yes Jan 10, 2018 is your official completion date. But since you already applied to PGWP, just wait for CIC updates. Nothing you can do now anyways.
Thanks so much for your information! I wish the immigration officer will understand and give me the PGWP. God bless me!

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Yes, worse comes to worse you may have to pay extra for restoration fee. When does your study permit expire?