+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!!!! I lost my PR cards. What do i have to do???

kewpie

Aug 8, 2012
I have lost mine and my husband:s PR cards. We landed in October 2008, I don't know when they will be expiring but I believe it would be in 5 years from that date. What can I do? Should I wait till they expire? Do they send you paperwork to fill out before the expiration....HELP!! PLEASE!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to inform immigration that your PR cards have been lost. Then you can apply for new ones.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#replace said:
If your Permanent Resident Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, immediately contact the Call Centre. If your card has simply expired (or is due to expire), you do not need to contact the Call Centre.

You will have to complete an application for a new Permanent Resident Card. Follow the steps for How to apply for your Permanent Resident Card on this page.

kewpie

Aug 8, 2012
If I have to apply for new ones, do I have to show all the requirements again? Should I just wait till they expire and when they send the renewals tell them then that I do not have them? Do they require you to send in your old ones to get the renewals? I'm sure they are lost in my home somewhere, and was still hoping to find them someday

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kewpie said:
If I have to apply for new ones, do I have to show all the requirements again? Should I just wait till they expire and when they send the renewals tell them then that I do not have them? Do they require you to send in your old ones to get the renewals? I'm sure they are lost in my home somewhere, and was still hoping to find them someday
To apply for a new PR card, you need to write down your address history and show that you have not been outside Canada for 1095 days or more since you landed as a PR. If you have, then you do not meet the residency requirements and should not apply to renew your cards until you have 730 days in Canada in the past 5 year period.

You do not have to send in your PR card when you apply to renew it if is it still valid. However, they would expect you to bring it when you collect the new one which is why you must first call CIC and admit that you have lost them. If you do not actually feel that they are lost but rather misplaced and that you will find them again, you could wait until they expire or longer. If you do not need to leave Canada, you do not need a PR card. However, before you apply to renew, if you still haven't found them, you must report them lost. If they are already expired, they would expect you to send them in with your application.

kewpie

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you so much for the info......appreciate it....Hopefully I will find them< was just thinking worse case scenario......