+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! extra info requested re: "Re-establishment"

backtoCAN

Jun 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of sponsoring my partner outland for PR. The sponsorship portion was approved in less than a month in Sept. and then moved to Berlin for the PR application to be processed. Now, we've received a request from Berlin as follows:
Please provide objective evidence of your sponsor's intention to return to Canada i.e. proof of settlement arrangement in connection with your move to Canada. Evidence that your sponsor will reside in Canada after you become a permanent resident may include one or more of the following:
-offer of employment / contract from a Canadian employer;
-letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution;
-proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada;
-reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada.

We sent in the following as proof of re-establishment in our application:
- detailed plans of re-establishment incl. why/when/where and what type of jobs I would be looking for
- letters from 2 different family members saying we could stay with them as long as we want
- email correspondence with 2 rental agents/ brokers about when to start looking for properties/they would put us on waiting list etc.
- emails with a friend who works in my industry + a formal school instructor stating that there are lots of job opportunities and the labour market is strong
- profile set up on job search websites
- proof of cdn bank account & credit cards
- proof of membership in canadian industry association related to my career

The issue is of course it is too early to secure a job when we're probably not moving for another 6 months. Plus, I work in a very small industry (where word could spread quickly) so I do not want to inform my current employer yet of my intentions to leave. I would even like to contact the Canadian branch of my company but this could get back to my boss! I will not be going back to school so that is not an option and we're not going to rent a property now and then leave it empty! Other suggestions?
We were wondering if they missed the letter we provided with the detailed plans... could we ask them to refer to that again? I was thinking of getting my uncle to prepare a "rental agreement" to start in March 2010 or something - I wonder if this would help. With regards to jobs, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just start applying for everything ? The thing is because it is such a small industry I want to be honest about the timelines and that I do not want to start until spring 2010. If I mention my plans to come next year, will anyone take me seriously and actually reply????
If anyone has other suggestions for "objective" proof of re-establishment that is feasible for us, we would be very grateful!

thanks in advance,
backtoCAN (hopefully!)

MYSG

Oct 22, 2009
Hi backtoCAN,
We supplied practically the same info as you have, if not less, so I wonder if we will get the same request for more proof. From what I've read around on forums it would seem these details are normally sufficient though. So this is strange.
However the family members we had a letter from were parents who also advised they will support us financially if need be, until we are 'on our feet'. I'm hoping that because it is from parents this stands as good support for our application.
Who were the family members who wrote a letter for you?

I find it especially odd that this request has come up during the main application and not before during the sponsorship application.

I will try to think of something that can help you. If I do I will surely let you know

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
backtoCAN said:
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of sponsoring my partner outland for PR. The sponsorship portion was approved in less than a month in Sept. and then moved to Berlin for the PR application to be processed. Now, we've received a request from Berlin as follows:
Please provide objective evidence of your sponsor's intention to return to Canada i.e. proof of settlement arrangement in connection with your move to Canada. Evidence that your sponsor will reside in Canada after you become a permanent resident may include one or more of the following:
-offer of employment / contract from a Canadian employer;
-letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution;
-proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada;
-reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada.

We sent in the following as proof of re-establishment in our application:
- detailed plans of re-establishment incl. why/when/where and what type of jobs I would be looking for
- letters from 2 different family members saying we could stay with them as long as we want
- email correspondence with 2 rental agents/ brokers about when to start looking for properties/they would put us on waiting list etc.
- emails with a friend who works in my industry + a formal school instructor stating that there are lots of job opportunities and the labour market is strong
- profile set up on job search websites
- proof of cdn bank account & credit cards
- proof of membership in canadian industry association related to my career

The issue is of course it is too early to secure a job when we're probably not moving for another 6 months. Plus, I work in a very small industry (where word could spread quickly) so I do not want to inform my current employer yet of my intentions to leave. I would even like to contact the Canadian branch of my company but this could get back to my boss! I will not be going back to school so that is not an option and we're not going to rent a property now and then leave it empty! Other suggestions?
We were wondering if they missed the letter we provided with the detailed plans... could we ask them to refer to that again? I was thinking of getting my uncle to prepare a "rental agreement" to start in March 2010 or something - I wonder if this would help. With regards to jobs, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just start applying for everything ? The thing is because it is such a small industry I want to be honest about the timelines and that I do not want to start until spring 2010. If I mention my plans to come next year, will anyone take me seriously and actually reply????
If anyone has other suggestions for "objective" proof of re-establishment that is feasible for us, we would be very grateful!

thanks in advance,
backtoCAN (hopefully!)
You have got to be kidding me? You sent all that and they want more? Can you send a copy of it to them? I have read dozens of times that people have submitted far less and got the ok. I am also shaking in my shoes, the Canadian in our application has far less, bank accounts and a letter from Mom saying we will live there but pretty much nothing else. I am seriously p***ed off!

backtoCAN

Jun 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi MYSG & whoopi83,
I'm glad there are others who share my feelings of surprise! We were pretty confident with the package we sent in and even had a "final check" done by a consultant. I understand what they mean by "objective" but come on, it's hard to secure a job and housing without a firm date on when we'll be there!!
MYSG - the letters I included were also from my parents + my uncle and were very supportive & detailed.
The only thing we can think of is perhaps that the IO did not see our "letter of detailed plans of re-establishment" because we included it as an answer/appendix to one of the questions in the form. We were thinking of replying to the email from the embassy and kindly refer them to the letter which was included in our initial application and briefly reiterate that it is difficult to secure housing & employment at this time.
Does anyone have thoughts on this proposal? Of course we don't want to irritate them but we sincerely want to make sure they have seen everything in our package.
Otherwise, I can start applying for jobs (which seems silly when I won't be going until at least March) or contacting potential employers. I even want to contact the Cdn. affiliate of the company I work for now, but I don't want to let my boss know yet of my plans to leave (I'm on a permanent contract) so I can't exactly make too many inquiries in Canada without word spreading quickly... Otherwise, we were thinking of setting up a rental agreement with my uncle starting 1 March. Is this "objective" enough???
any other suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!
Hope we sort this out soon - we're not in any case of urgency yet and our application has been processed quite quickly so far, but we certainly didn't expect this obstacle!

backtoCAN

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Canbrit

Perhaps they did not recieve the details? Can you send them again. The reason I say this is that today I received PPR! We did not send as much as you so there must be an error somewhere. Rooting for you.

MYSG - check your email!

MYSG

Oct 22, 2009
Whoopi!!! Congrats!! I'm so happy for you!
I'm waiting for my partner to get home any minute and will ask him to check his email!
I don't want to my hopes up though because as you said the process can be quicker for those who are applying within the country of their nationality....
crossing my fingers!#
Congrats again!

Hi Canbrit, I really don't know what to say. Can you send them an email pointing out everything you've told us and ask them if they did get your detailed letter in the package?
Otherwise I'd say perhaps it is a good idea to get a legal lease agreement with your uncle....

backtoCAN

Jun 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was hoping someone else might have encountered this same request for additional info re: re-establishment and might be able to offer some advice!
Our plan at the moment is to reply and refer them again to the letter with our detailed plans, and then clearly explain why I don't have a job offer/contract yet and why we haven't rented/bought any property.
But of course any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance.........

Jez

Jul 26, 2010
Gatineau, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/9/2010
AOR Received.
2/12/2010
File Transfer...
20/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/7/2010
Passport Req..
8/2/2011
VISA ISSUED...
5/3/2011
LANDED..........
24/3/2011
backtoCAN - I see from your signature your visa was approved "2009-12-03: Visa rec'd!"

Can you expand on what you sent back to make this happen?

eh??

Apr 17, 2010
I wish I had been given this opportunity like back2can. I thought my proof of retruning home was strong but I was not given this chance. You can see what now!! Advice?

backtoCAN

Jun 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To reply to Jez's question, we basically decided to send an email back to the IO in Berlin and to again address all the suggested requirements for proof of re-establishment. Here's what we replied:

-offer of employment / contract from a Canadian employer: we mentioned that I was planning to start my job hunt in early 2010 and not earlier because we were not planning to move to Canada until March or so

-letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution: not applicable as I was not going to be going to school

-proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada: we mentioned that we would start looking for rental properties in early 2010 as this would be sufficient time to find a place (as mentioned in an email from a rental agent already included in the application)

-reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada: we had already included a very detailed plan (2+ pages) for our establishment in Canada so we mentioned this again and reattached the document.

Within a couple of weeks we received a request for my partner's passport - for us the additional email was sufficient.
Good luck to you in your application process!
backtoCAN

Jez

Jul 26, 2010
Gatineau, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/9/2010
AOR Received.
2/12/2010
File Transfer...
20/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/7/2010
Passport Req..
8/2/2011
VISA ISSUED...
5/3/2011
LANDED..........
24/3/2011
Ah ha... Great to hear :)

We're in the same boat - neither of us have job offers, etc. Thanks for the advice!