+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!!! Daughter's Passport Application

pacpacboom

Aug 9, 2017
We are trying to submit our daughter's passport application. But we have encountered 2 small problems and would like to seek your help on it.

1. Consent - Since I do not live (I live abroad and not a Canadian Citizen or PR) with my fiancee and daughter, do I need to send a consent letter in regards to our daughter's passport application or will the application form where I signed as the other parent be sufficient (I've sent this thru International Courier)

2. Guarantor: My fiancee landed in Canada a few months ago therefore she doesn't know anyone that will qualify as a guarantor. I understand that the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor is now the only option we have. Can you please let me know how to obtain this statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor.

Thank you.

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
As per your first question, I'm facing the same problem filling a consent or signing from abroad and sending it to Canada via courier won't be accepted, the only acceptable and legal way is for your fiancée to apply for the passport in person from any passport Canada location, what will happen is.Upon applying they will give her a file number, she should give to you.
you should call the Canadian embassy where your country of residence take an appointment, provide them with the file number and sign a consent there, they will enter the info in the system and inform passport canada to issue the passport .

For your second question, to my knowledge there is no way around it you must find a guarantor, keep in mind they will call him, my suggestion if she really doesn't know anyone, let her try with the landlord,where she's living or renting from. since he is the one who knows her best and might do her the favor.
Good Luck,

pacpacboom

Aug 9, 2017
As per your first question, I'm facing the same problem filling a consent or signing from abroad and sending it to Canada via courier won't be accepted, the only acceptable and legal way is for your fiancée to apply for the passport in person from any passport Canada location, what will happen is.Upon applying they will give her a file number, she should give to you.
you should call the Canadian embassy where your country of residence take an appointment, provide them with the file number and sign a consent there, they will enter the info in the system and inform passport canada to issue the passport .

For your second question, to my knowledge there is no way around it you must find a guarantor, keep in mind they will call him, my suggestion if she really doesn't know anyone, let her try with the landlord,where she's living or renting from. since he is the one who knows her best and might do her the favor.
Good Luck,
Thank you for your reply. I

I just have 1 additional question.

1. The application form that I have signed is already on the way to Canada, you said she needed to apply in person can she use the application form that I have sent thru courier?

In regards to the guarantor anyone she knows in Canada now will not qualify as a guarantor as they've only met or know her the last 7 months (she arrived in Canada last August 2017) and it was specified in the application form that the guarantor must know the applicant for at least 2 years. However, it is specified in the application form that if the applicant is unable to find a qualified guarantor she will have to get a Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor that will have to be authenticated by a lawyer or notary public etc.

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
Thank you for your reply. I

I just have 1 additional question.

1. The application form that I have signed is already on the way to Canada, you said she needed to apply in person can she use the application form that I have sent thru courier?

In regards to the guarantor anyone she knows in Canada now will not qualify as a guarantor as they've only met or know her the last 7 months (she arrived in Canada last August 2017) and it was specified in the application form that the guarantor must know the applicant for at least 2 years. However, it is specified in the application form that if the applicant is unable to find a qualified guarantor she will have to get a Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor that will have to be authenticated by a lawyer or notary public etc.
No she can't, she should fill a new one herself and she should sign as the applicant, and leave the other parents space assigned for you empty

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
As per Statutory Declaration in Lieu, she will need a PPTC 132. form to be signed before a Commissioner for Oaths or Notary Public, follow the info below,

If you are applying for a new Canadian passport and don't have an eligible guarantor available, with a 'Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor'. This form is produced by Passport Canada, and it is called the PPTC132; it is also called the PPT132. An applicant who is unable to obtain the signature of an eligible guarantor is required to complete the PPTC 132. The form must be signed before a Commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace or another official who is qualified to administer the oath. It is not necessary for the official to know the applicant personally, The form itself is available from any Passport Canada office or by contacting their call centre. certified passport photographs as an exhibit

Last edited:

pacpacboom

Aug 9, 2017
No she can't, she should fill a new one herself and she should sign as the applicant, and leave the other parents space assigned for you empty
Thank you for your reply.

Can you please tell me what you did with your son/daughter's passport application so that I will have a guide on what are the steps to take.

It has been a nightmare to me that I have not seen my daughter yet since she was born. She just turned 3 months old and of course I wont be able to go and visit her since I will be needing a visa to Canada.

Really appreciate you putting your time and effort on this.

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
Thank you for your reply.

Can you please tell me what you did with your son/daughter's passport application so that I will have a guide on what are the steps to take.

It has been a nightmare to me that I have not seen my daughter yet since she was born. She just turned 3 months old and of course I wont be able to go and visit her since I will be needing a visa to Canada.

Really appreciate you putting your time and effort on this.
I understand your struggle, but your situation in not difficult and can be solved

what I did, filled the minor application signed it myself (I don't have a guarantor problem, since I've been living in Canada for the past 5 years)
added the supporting documents like birth certificate, my ID that contains a picture and a signature ( originals) they will be returned if your applying in-person, copies signed by the guarantor if your applying online, (plz follow the guide with the application)
since my husband is living abroad I called passport Canada and asked what's the legal and right way to get my husbands consent and signature
the only way is as I already explained above
next Monday I will apply in person and get the file number, send it to my husband who took and appointed with the Canadian embassy for the following day to sign
I will update you after I get more answers

pacpacboom

Aug 9, 2017
Again, thank you for your reply but may I ask why did you call Passport Canada in regards to your husbands signature and consent? Was there a call from them or enquiry where he is?

You are married and we are not, any idea if this is the reason why they needed his consent?

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
Again, thank you for your reply but may I ask why did you call Passport Canada in regards to your husbands signature and consent? Was there a call from them or enquiry where he is?

You are married and we are not, any idea if this is the reason why they needed his consent?
Was there a call from them or enquiry where he is? No cause I didn't apply yet, just wanted to take the right information to proceed, I wanted to avoid any mistake or a claim of fraud
You are married and we are not, any idea if this is the reason why they needed his consent? no not at all, as per canada's law they don't care whether your married or not, what's important is the consent and signature of both parents that listed on the child's birth certificate
as of why I didn't take the chance and used the signed from abroad application that my husband sent??? first upon signature you should write the city or country and date, and I didn't want to lie and make him sign as if he's here
plus in the application you should write both parents or information like address and phone number, (most likely they will call) if your not living in Canada it will show and they will know,
MY ADVICE IS TO ALWAYS BE TRUE AND DO THE RIGHT THING, Canada wont forgive, ABID BY THE LAW AND SYSTEM