+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP: Canadian passport with blank given names.

scheng

Jul 3, 2018
I am from Malaysia. Malaysian passport just combined my first name, surname and middle name altogether without separation under column Name. My PR card has exactly the same name as my Malaysian Passport "First name; Last Name; Given Names". I recently got my citizenship and my passport also combined all the name together under Surname, rather than separating the surname and givens name.

What should I do now? I am NOT asking for legal name change. I would like them to place the correct name under Surname and Given names respectively. I have previously request them to amend my name when I got my PR card IN 2015, but I got denied because they based it on how my name was written in my Malaysian Passport.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I am from Malaysia. Malaysian passport just combined my first name, surname and middle name altogether without separation under column Name. My PR card has exactly the same name as my Malaysian Passport "First name; Last Name; Given Names". I recently got my citizenship and my passport also combined all the name together under Surname, rather than separating the surname and givens name.

What should I do now? I am NOT asking for legal name change. I would like them to place the correct name under Surname and Given names respectively. I have previously request them to amend my name when I got my PR card IN 2015, but I got denied because they based it on how my name was written in my Malaysian Passport.
1. All you I.D. goes back to your Malaysian passport, that is what IRCC considered your official name. So if you want to divide your name, then you are going to have to do a legal name change and get a new passport.

abukw

Feb 7, 2019
I have the same issue here my given name on passport shows XXX . Im planning to travel to United states is this will be an issue on the

joy9595

Jan 8, 2021

Hi Scheng, I'm in the same boat...many years later. Did you ever find a solution?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Here's the thing: you ARE asking for a name change, you just don't know it. They worked off your foreign passport, the only way in short form to formally change it is a name change.

The other way is just to write the way you want EVERYWHERE (bank, business, informal, etc) and accumulate docs that have the way you want it. This is also a type of name change and it will take a long time and you will still run into some things that you can't get the way you want.

Just do a name change and put an end to it.