Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012 (Got a wrong req, so sent PP only on 3rd sep)
Hi All,
I was wondering if someone can guide us.

My wife applied for citizenship in May 2017 (application received 8th May). We applied from Brampton.
We received the acknowledgement email and link to Discover Canada pdf book on 16th Jun 2017.

Then we received a fingerprint request on 25 Jul. We got the fingerprints done the same day.

The online portal says Status = In Process and "We started processing your application on June 29, 2017."

After that no update yet.

My concern is maybe they sent us a letter which was misplaced or did not arrive?
Is there any way to contact CIC regarding status of an application (phone, etc)?

PS - Both me and my son are Canadian citizens already. Wife is on PR and PR expires in Mar 2018.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
It's only been 5 and a half months. Website says processing times on average are 12 months. Relax and wait.

As for her PR card, the recommendation is to renew the card within 6 months of expiry, so you should probably apply to renew it now since the 12 month processing time puts her estimated oath date after the PR expiry date.

Here's a question for seniors actually: If OP's wife lets her PR card expire because she doesn't need to travel in the next year, will that be a problem when she does her exam/interview/oath?

Last edited:

avigtr

Jan 11, 2012
There is anoth
It's only been 5 and a half months. Website says processing times on average are 12 months. Relax and wait.

As for her PR card, the recommendation is to renew the card within 6 months of expiry, so you should probably apply to renew it now since the 12 month processing time puts her estimated oath date after the PR expiry date.

Here's a question for seniors actually: If OP's wife lets her PR card expire because she doesn't need to travel in the next year, will that be a problem when she does her exam/interview/oath?
there is another discussion for that exact question on the main citizenship page:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/permanent-resident-card-expired-while-in-process-for-citizenship.524961/
As far as I understand from that discussion,having an expired PR will not affect the process.
Also a small correction, you mentioned "renew the card within 6 months of expiry" but I think its 9.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp:

• your PR card is expired or will expire in less than nine months;