+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hello! is there anybody who got job recently after landing in Canada?

swaps82

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Hello! Friends,
Guess, i am finding it bit diffcult to find a job in Canada. I got my PR in Feb'10 but i am still in Mumbai. Trying to find job desperately before i land as i don't want to get in trouble after landing there as i am going along with my wife. So, i thoght of asking all you guys about your personal experiences.
Can everybody highlight their experiences about how to get a job or how you received the job. I am a Finance Manager in ICICI have resigned & my notice period will finish in Sept'10. I really want to go in Oct now. I need few tips & help from everyone who are really doing good or can share any positive notes.

Thank You

All the best to everyone

Regards

Swaps..

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

You can try applying from India but to get a good job you will need to be in Canada, mostly ppl who moved to Canada are still struggling to get a job in there proffession and its very unlikely that you will get a job before you land. And one other thing is in Canada you will have to start from scratch no matter how much experience or qualification you already have. Its just my thoughts and whay i have heard from seniors who are already in Canada.

Cheers
Saki

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear swaps82

I have only seen one case where some one got the job before landing. I have seen many many cases where giuys have not got the job in their field even after a year

The recoomendation on this forum from senior members is to go alone if possible, find a survival job and then then continue to look for a job in your own field.

It takes about a year or two to get suitable job. It is tough world out there but worth a try

destinationBC

Champion Member
Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
thats history
Doc's Request.
thats history
AOR Received.
thats history
File Transfer...
thats history
Med's Request
thats history
Med's Done....
thats history
Passport Req..
thats history
VISA ISSUED...
got it
LANDED..........
Long Long ago
YOU CANNOT CATCH THE FISH FROM THE COAST need to go to deeper waters??????? Hope you understand the underlying meaning.

swaps82

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Hello! Again,
Thank you so much for all your replies.. I really want to take my wife along as she will be my support. She is also ready to do any survival job. Can anybody suggest good kind of resumes and job hunting sites or agenices?
I will try to go in Oct. Approx. how much money will i need to show if we land without job & how much actually is required. I plan to go to Toronto.

Thank You
Swaps.

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Dear Friend,

There are ample opportunities for Finance guys in Toronto. To begin with you have to do some survival jobs in Finance field itself. If you are lucky, you will get a good start in the beginning itself.

All the best for your future. But one thing keep in mind that do not compare your Indian job (qualification, experience and position which you have) with the job you might be getting in Canada.

Satish.

swaps82

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks guys,
I completely und. i've to be there 2 find a suitable job, but i just wnt to fully prepare myself first.
Can somebody guide me with a good Canadian style Resume & good websites to apply for jobs,
& if anybody who has already got a job amongst us members anywhere in Canada, kindly share their experiences.
It'll be of great help to all of us.

Thanks & Regards

Swaps..

P

pv

register at
www.monster.ca
www.careerbuilder.ca
www.kijiji.ca
www.workopolis.ca
www.Job-rapido.ca
www.torontojobclassifieds.com/

Also check at www.ge.com ( they have currently opening in their capital service division), but as one of our member mentioned that you need to be here at the time of interview, chances are very less that you will get job with online interview or telconf....

In canada, employer prefers cover letter along with resume.

Good luck for your job search

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Hey buddy,

from my personal experience i will advise dont look any survival job and dont ask your wife to look for any survival job. its sounds wired but it fact.

If you are start looking for odd jobs and then once you got it. you wont try hard to get better job. ( its like human nature... )

so be focus..be confident in your ability and most importantly be patients... give your self enough time( at least 3 to 4 months) as its usually takes that time to familiar with new country and all.

u will be okay.

Its my persnal opinion but it depends on individual circumstance and nature.

rinks25us

Star Member
Nov 3, 2009
manchai said:
Hey buddy,

from my personal experience i will advise dont look any survival job and dont ask your wife to look for any survival job. its sounds wired but it fact.

If you are start looking for odd jobs and then once you got it. you wont try hard to get better job. ( its like human nature... )

so be focus..be confident in your ability and most importantly be patients... give your self enough time( at least 3 to 4 months) as its usually takes that time to familiar with new country and all.

u will be okay.

Its my persnal opinion but it depends on individual circumstance and nature.
Have you already explored further studies option/canadian equivalent of your credentials/part time/online courses or whatever that may help you getting some canadian experience/education? have you thought about being self employed? there are so many opportunities..Have you tried getting abreast with the latest trends in your industry? trainings certifications..learning french .....

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi swaps, immigrating to another land is a decision you must have taken after a great difficulty of convincing yourself and your loved ones and your surrounding circumstances must have played a major role in that too. so keeping in mind that which i am going through as well :) the best you can do is to set aside all fears, try to get somehting before u land but dont let it get on your nerves if u cant. just get in there or rather take a plunge with full belief on your abilities and give it your best shot.... u r bound for a land which opens up great horizons for you and coming generations.. whole world will be open to you with your canadian passport. if anything can fail you than it will be yourself and no one else. my best wishes for life ahead. GOD speed to you.

swaps82 said:
Hello! Friends,
Guess, i am finding it bit diffcult to find a job in Canada. I got my PR in Feb'10 but i am still in Mumbai. Trying to find job desperately before i land as i don't want to get in trouble after landing there as i am going along with my wife. So, i thoght of asking all you guys about your personal experiences.
Can everybody highlight their experiences about how to get a job or how you received the job. I am a Finance Manager in ICICI have resigned & my notice period will finish in Sept'10. I really want to go in Oct now. I need few tips & help from everyone who are really doing good or can share any positive notes.

Thank You

All the best to everyone

Regards

Swaps..

swaps82

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Thank u so much guys.
I'll try in GE but, do these guys really respond? I've applied on so many sites online workopolis, monster but few of them reply many don't. They say they need us to be there, which is fair enough but i want to try my luck...
Thank u all for ur kind advice & support.
Lets hope we get a job of our choice.
Anybody can help me with CV tips??

All the best to everyone..

Thanks & Regards

Swaps..

yajumba

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2008
Doc's Request.
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
10-10-2008
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
File Transfer...
March 2009
Med's Request
22-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2011
LANDED..........
22-10-2011
Hi swaps82

I think I can write something here because I understand how it feels if you don't have a proper job. To tell you something about me (so that u will take my suggestions seriously), I finished my MBA in 2009 from Sauder school of business, UBC in strategy and marketing. Prior to MBA, I worked with Reliance industries limited as a operations manager for three years and one year with lloyd. I am a chemcial engineer. When I finished my MBA, it was a really harsh market enviornment. I tried everything to get a job. you have an advantage of having PR in your hand. I didn't had PR (till now) so it makes my job even hader. here is the jist of my experience:
1. Your resume: it is key. try to follow this rule in every line of your resume: what u did, how u did it and the final outcome (very important). e.g. I managed portfolio of x amount of dollars by following the strategy y which resulted in a profit of z amount of dollars.
2. Cover letter: your cover letter should be job specific not general in nature. that means you have to write cover letter for each job you wish to apply.
3. follow up: you should always follow up with the application you made. try contacting the HR or the concerned person if you know the name of the hiring manager. you should call them and say like hi my name is xyz and i am calling to follow up with you regarding my application for the specific position. this will show them that you still care for this job
4. try to arrange informational interviews with your perspective company. tell them you have seen this poistion and would like to know more about the role. try to meet them in person.
5. never apply to the position you have no match

these are some of the things you should take care while applying for the job in canada. as rightly said, you should be here to get a job.
I hope that this will help you in sme way.
thanks
yajumba

swaps82 said:
Thank u so much guys.
I'll try in GE but, do these guys really respond? I've applied on so many sites online workopolis, monster but few of them reply many don't. They say they need us to be there, which is fair enough but i want to try my luck...
Thank u all for ur kind advice & support.
Lets hope we get a job of our choice.
Anybody can help me with CV tips??

All the best to everyone..

Thanks & Regards

Swaps..

C

cchabert

Hope this helps:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/from-atlanta-to-calgary-my-first-6-months-job-experience-t49940.0.html;msg379842#msg379842

and

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/mi-first-3-months-on-my-job-experience-in-calgary-t41042.0.html;msg379849#msg379849

Cheers!

Lucky11

Star Member
Dec 4, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
swaps82 said:
Hello! Friends,

Thank You

All the best to everyone swaps,

Swaps..

Dear swaps 82

its a liitle bit difficult to find a job in canada before landing. But it is possible. Try the follwing job website in order to find a good job before landing

www.uscanadajob.com

Regards