+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hearing Postponed

notimportantt

Dec 8, 2023
I have had a scheduled hearing on Dec 13 but my lawyer said they postponed for administrative reasons. They offered to reschedule again for February but I want to make it at scheduled date like before or earlier than new year. Is it common and what can be the reason for that? Can I contact anyone about that? I called Refugee Board but they just want me to send letter to them. Did anybody have same experience before?

Milkymilky

Feb 17, 2023
Hi can you please let me know when did you receive this letter? Was your case less complex? As i m having my hearing next week. Also what is your timeline?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have had a scheduled hearing on Dec 13 but my lawyer said they postponed for administrative reasons. They offered to reschedule again for February but I want to make it at scheduled date like before or earlier than new year. Is it common and what can be the reason for that? Can I contact anyone about that? I called Refugee Board but they just want me to send letter to them. Did anybody have same experience before?
It is normal for hearing to be postponed for administrative reason..

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They likely offered you the earliest date available. IRB books appointment a few months in advance so there may not be any hearings available in December or January. You may get lucky and get approved without a hearing but there are other reasons for having your hearing cancelled for administrative reasons and it is fairly typical for have to wait a month or two before getting another hearing time. Given the holiday season there will be 2 weeks where there will be limited hearings if any so you have to subtract the holiday period when calculating the wait time until the next available hearing. I would take the next available hearing and can ask to be put on a cancellation list if there is one.

notimportantt

Dec 8, 2023
They likely offered you the earliest date available. IRB books appointment a few months in advance so there may not be any hearings available in December or January. You may get lucky and get approved without a hearing but there are other reasons for having your hearing cancelled for administrative reasons and it is fairly typical for have to wait a month or two before getting another hearing time. Given the holiday season there will be 2 weeks where there will be limited hearings if any so you have to subtract the holiday period when calculating the wait time until the next available hearing. I would take the next available hearing and can ask to be put on a cancellation list if there is one.
What is the cancellation list and if I send them letter that explains my specific situation, does it worth it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is the cancellation list and if I send them letter that explains my specific situation, does it worth it?
You will have to ask if your local office has a cancellation list for people who are available if anyone else withdraws or cancels their hearing. It may not exist.

notimportantt

Dec 8, 2023
You will have to ask if your local office has a cancellation list for people who are available if anyone else withdraws or cancels their hearing. It may not exist.
Also my lawyer said they offered postponed hearing to be in February. Isn’t it determined before or is it determined after my lawyer confirm according to his availability?

Milkymilky

Feb 17, 2023
Did yours postponed also?
Yea i had my hearing today and it postponed. Minister intervene just for documents and my lawyer said he did not received any letter from the minister. This is soo much frustrating. And irb send another letter this morning and he did not received that also. I really don’t know now what will happen now and we will get another hearing date. Waited for almost 16 months and this happened.