Med's Request
Meds Received
Med's Done....
01-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2011!!!
Is there a waiting period like the province of Ontario once I have PPR for healthcare? Also, does it not go into effect until I land or?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario, 3 months after you land/apply.

Alberta - when you apply.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Francis123 said:
Is there a waiting period like the province of Ontario once I have PPR for healthcare? Also, does it not go into effect until I land or?
Hi,
There is 3 (three) months waiting period.

AHCIP eligibility

The main requirement to become eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan is that your permanent place of residence is in Alberta, Canada, and that you are legally entitled to stay in Canada. As a permanent resident of Alberta, you are required to be present in Alberta for at least 183 days per year, excluding temporary (less than 6 months) absences. Another requirement for eligibility is that you are not claiming benefits or residence in any other province in Canada. You must endure a three-month waiting period if you move to Alberta from another province or country. You are allowed to register right away, but your AHCIP coverage will only begin once you finish the three-month waiting period.

Is it free?

Although the AHCIP is partly government sponsored, you will still be required to make payments of around $44 to $88 per month, depending on whether you are single, married, or have dependents. Still, AHCIP covers a wide range of medical care services, including immunization, routine dental and eye care, private hospital rooms, prescription drugs, telephone medical advice, clinical psychology, cosmetic surgery, and other medical expenses. You can register by submitting documents that prove your residency in Alberta, filling out the AHCIP registration form, then visiting one of the 23 AHCIP registration locations throughout the province

Read more:

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-care-insurance-plan.html

Reactions: cancanhere

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Francis123 said:
You asked about Ontario but the title is Alberta, did you need an answer to both?

Francis123

Star Member
Jun 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2010
Doc's Request.
Waived
File Transfer...
16-12-2010
Med's Request
Meds Received
Med's Done....
01-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2011!!!
Nevermind, I found my answer:

* If you move to Alberta from within Canada your coverage begins the first day of the third month following the date you establish permanent residency here. For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.
* If you move to Alberta from outside Canada your coverage begins on your date of arrival in Alberta.

Reactions: cancanhere

Francis123

Star Member
Jun 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2010
Doc's Request.
Waived
File Transfer...
16-12-2010
Med's Request
Meds Received
Med's Done....
01-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2011!!!
wilson said:
Hi,
There is 3 (three) months waiting period.

AHCIP eligibility

The main requirement to become eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan is that your permanent place of residence is in Alberta, Canada, and that you are legally entitled to stay in Canada. As a permanent resident of Alberta, you are required to be present in Alberta for at least 183 days per year, excluding temporary (less than 6 months) absences. Another requirement for eligibility is that you are not claiming benefits or residence in any other province in Canada. You must endure a three-month waiting period if you move to Alberta from another province or country. You are allowed to register right away, but your AHCIP coverage will only begin once you finish the three-month waiting period.

Is it free?

Although the AHCIP is partly government sponsored, you will still be required to make payments of around $44 to $88 per month, depending on whether you are single, married, or have dependents. Still, AHCIP covers a wide range of medical care services, including immunization, routine dental and eye care, private hospital rooms, prescription drugs, telephone medical advice, clinical psychology, cosmetic surgery, and other medical expenses. You can register by submitting documents that prove your residency in Alberta, filling out the AHCIP registration form, then visiting one of the 23 AHCIP registration locations throughout the province

Read more:

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-care-insurance-plan.html
Unless I am confused, the same website is contradicting itself:

When your coverage begins

Please note: You are not covered for medical services under the AHCIP until all the required information is received and your application is processed. However, any medical services you receive and pay for before your application is processed may be reimbursed once you have your personal health card and can show eligibility for the period when you received the services. The effective date of your coverage is based on the following:

* If you move to Alberta from within Canada your coverage begins the first day of the third month following the date you establish permanent residency here. For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.
* If you move to Alberta from outside Canada your coverage begins on your date of arrival in Alberta.

If the Application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan Coverage is not received within 90 days of the date you arrive and establish permanent residency in Alberta, Alberta Health and Wellness will determine the effective date of your coverage.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q-moving.html

Holidaylove

Star Member
Apr 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/08/2010
Doc's Request.
08/11/2010
AOR Received.
13/10/2010
File Transfer...
09/24/2010
Med's Done....
07/08/2010
Passport Req..
09/12/2010
VISA ISSUED...
07/12/2010
LANDED..........
01/01/2011
Also wanted to add that alberta health care has no premiums. it is paid for by the gevernment

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
Hi i'm speaking from experience and actually got alberta health care for my wife just a week ago! :)

We currently had a PR application in process, my wife came in as a visitor on Jan. 29 and the immigration office didnt' stamp her passport on her entry. We went to AHC and tried to apply and the lady says that in order for my wife to get AHC coverage she would have to get a valid entry stamp on her US passport. We travelled to Seattle 2 weeks ago and came back with a stamp. Went back to AHC and my wife had AHC coverage valid 6 months from the date of the passport. She currently is a visitor but because we are in the process of the PR application i believe her status is "implied". Her coverage started on the day of the stamp.
Hopefully that answers your question.

adetia9

Star Member
Mar 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
USA Outland - Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2010
AOR Received.
03-05-2010
File Transfer...
03-05-2010
Med's Done....
30-11-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-03-2011
LANDED..........
04-08-2011
I'd like to point out a few things from my experience.

#1. You do not have to be a permanent resident yet to receive Alberta Healthcare coverage.
#2. If you are on a visitor visa, that is fine but you must submit copies whenyou go your local registrar. Also, when you get an extension or renewal on your visa, you must do the same.
#3. If your visa is close to expiring, you can someitmes talk to a nice person on the contact line and they occasionally grant you a 30-60 day extension, but not always.

It is no problem for your coverage to lapse and then get it back again. If you have claims, you can also submit them retroactively, as long as your extension is renewed.