Health insurance for international students on PGWP in Ontario

Lovely_16

Jun 28, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I was an international student and previosuly my isurance was covered by college. Right now m working on Post grad work permit and dont have any health insurance. So i wanna know do i hv to take insurance from private company or its from OHIP government. I have read on net about OHIP dont excalty knows wat it is.

Thanks.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can get Visitors to Canada insurance to cover you, while you're here. If you would like more information you can send us an email at arbetov.office@gmail.com or give us a call at our toll free number 1-877-211-4301. We work with all the Canadian companies, so we can find you a great deal and good coverage.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Lovely_16 said:
Hi,

I was an international student and previosuly my isurance was covered by college. Right now m working on Post grad work permit and dont have any health insurance. So i wanna know do i hv to take insurance from private company or its from OHIP government. I have read on net about OHIP dont excalty knows wat it is.

Thanks.
you can go and get OHIP on your current work permit as long as you are working and your company gives you a letter saying that you are employed with them...the time period of OHIP would be the expiry of your work permit or your job whichever is earlier

shanelee153

May 29, 2013
haver said:
You can get Visitors to Canada insurance to cover you, while you're here. If you would like more information you can send us an email at arbetov.office @ gmail.com or give us a call at our toll free number 1-877-211-4301. We work with all the Canadian companies, so we can find you a great deal and good coverage.
Thanks for provide your no and this is really helpful and My cousin also get sucess to take health insurance.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe Ontario requires you to have insurance at all times, I don't understand why you are unable to continue your coverage with the University, post grad is still studying. You can opt out of the college insurance and but your own coverage, if you are interested I deal with several insurers that can provide coverage. If you are working on a post grad I would ask them if they provide coverage as part of your employment. I don' believe OHIP will provide coverage but I may be wrong.
You can visit my web site for more info www.stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca
Go to Insurance tap then Travel Insurance tab then Student tab, you can also go to useful links there is a direct link to the Ontario Ministry of Health.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Gary Goldshmidt said:
I believe Ontario requires you to have insurance at all times, I don't understand why you are unable to continue your coverage with the University, post grad is still studying. You can opt out of the college insurance and but your own coverage, if you are interested I deal with several insurers that can provide coverage. If you are working on a post grad I would ask them if they provide coverage as part of your employment. I don' believe OHIP will provide coverage but I may be wrong.
You can visit my web site for more info www.stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca
Go to Insurance tap then Travel Insurance tab then Student tab, you can also go to useful links there is a direct link to the Ontario Ministry of Health.
Post grad work permit cannot study and I think the insurance extended by your employer is only for the stuff not covered by OHIP...I know this for a fact because I read it in the Terms & Conditions of my insurance with my employer. In my contract with the insurance agency, it was written that if you don't have OHIP you will not be covered by the insurance. Banks like RBC and TD won't even give you insurance if you don't have OHIP.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is true but employers are still liable for their employees there are many companies that insure their employees including foreign workers in Canada. There are also policies that are specifically designed for these situations they are called inpatriate or expatriate plans and there are companies that specialize in this market which is called special risk. I deal with some of these companies but they prefer to offer a policy for all foreign employees of the employer not just one person. I still believe it is the employers responsibility to provide not just emergency medical but also disability to their employees.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Gary Goldshmidt said:
That is true but employers are still liable for their employees there are many companies that insure their employees including foreign workers in Canada. There are also policies that are specifically designed for these situations they are called inpatriate or expatriate plans and there are companies that specialize in this market which is called special risk. I deal with some of these companies but they prefer to offer a policy for all foreign employees of the employer not just one person. I still believe it is the employers responsibility to provide not just emergency medical but also disability to their employees.
It can be true but only for the companies that offer that kind of a package...