+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health card with a Open work permit if not employed

jisanmahfuz

Jul 20, 2017
Hi,
My wife is on her open work permit and when she applied for health card in Northwest territories , they rejected it cause she is not employed yet. they said to get Health card you need to be employed. I tried to provide the my marriage certificate and my work permit as I have a health card ; they said it will not work. Is there any other way she can get health insurance?? Please respond asap she is badly in need of Health insurance as she is new to Canada.

Thanks
Jisan

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
My wife is on her open work permit and when she applied for health card in Northwest territories , they rejected it cause she is not employed yet. they said to get Health card you need to be employed. I tried to provide the my marriage certificate and my work permit as I have a health card ; they said it will not work. Is there any other way she can get health insurance?? Please respond asap she is badly in need of Health insurance as she is new to Canada.

Thanks
Jisan
Hi

Many provinces/territories only provide coverage to work permit holders who are currently employed. If that is a requirement in the Northwest Territories, then she is out of luck until she either gets a job or becomes a PR.