+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having three Canadian children, does this help getting the Canadian citizenship?

msayed

Aug 3, 2010
Hello,

I am currently a PR for about one month. I used to live in Canada as a student where my wife gave birth to three Canadian children. I read on a lawyer website long time ago that the time you spent raising young Canadian children, even outside Canada, can be counted toward the required three years for citizenship. I am wondering if this is true or it used to be in the past.

Another question, taking care of my old parents back in Egypt, can this be considered as a humanitarian excuse to keep my residency if I could not met the two years residency obligation in the coming five years.

Any help is really appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, only physical residency in Canada counts for citizenship. Check this website for more accurate info about residency obligation:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EA.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Having Canadian children does not help you get your citizenship. What you may be thinking of is that a PR can meet his residency requirements if he is accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse (or parent if he is a dependent child) in another country. However, this does not extend to a PR who lives with his Canadian citizen children in another country because the children are accompanying the parent and not the other way around.

msayed

Aug 3, 2010
Thanks a lot for your answers. Things are more clear now.
Any comments on my second question?

Egyman

Star Member
Feb 7, 2007
For second Q I don't think they will allow you to stay in another country and count your residence there towards Canadian citizenship. The rule is clear you have to live in Canada 3 years out of the last four years

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taking care of a sick relative could possibly help you keep your PR if you don't meet the residency requirements but no guarantees. It's on a case by case basis. Once you are ready to go to Canada, if your PR card is still valid, you can go to Canada and if the immigration officer wants to revoke your PR due to residency requirements, you can appeal that. If your PR card is already expired, you can apply for a travel document when you are ready to go back to Canada listing your good reasons why you could not meet the residency requirements.