+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having Baby in Canada

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

slikprat said:
If a mother has a baby in Canada on a visitor's visa....what happens next?
In what sense? The baby is Canadian, but gives no rights for the parent to remain in Canada.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also you have to pay for the delivery yourself including operation and hospital expenses. Which could be anywhere from $7000 to $12000

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
slikprat said:
Ok thanks. but what could she do to remain in Canada?

What is exactly her intention please clearly specify.

Does she want to come in Canada as a visitor give birth and decide to stay here indefinitely?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Well if she plans to work, who'd take care of the baby? To apply for a work permit, she must look for an employer who's willing to file for a labour market opinion in her favour. If an employer is found and LMO obtain, she can then apply for a work permit to a consulate/CHC outside Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before coming to Canada to have a baby and then trying her luck to see if she can get a job and a work permit, this woman should try to look for jobs online to see how employable she is. She should also think about how much she has in funds in order to survive until she gets a job. She should also think about how she is planning to pay the hospital bill for the birth of her baby. She should also research what kind of money she can make and how much she would have to pay for child care while she works.

What kind of job she can get is also important. If she can not get a skilled job, it will not help her immigrate. She would only get a work permit for a few years at the most and then have to go home.

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
we'd like to find out what procedures to expect if we have our baby in Canada.

Recently learned that our child needs to be born in Canada to get Canadian citizenship (apart from me sponsoring the child as I am a born abroad Canadian).

Is it as simple as booking a flight, and then sitting and waiting?

What we're considering is to fly to Canada (likely Montreal), as near to the allowable period for my wife to fly, stay there until birth, and return back home shortly afterwards.

It's incredibly disruptive but we risk having a stateless child. It might be that my wife also is unable to offer the child nationality and we live in a 3rd country that does not give citizenship on birth.

As I understand, I'd need to apply for a PP for the child (which takes up to 14months??) and at the same time apply for a temporary PP (official name escapes me) to allow us to leave again.

Any other procedures that I'm overlooking to assure that our objective of getting citizenship for the baby is achieved? Equally, do any of these regulations fall to the provincial level where we might encounter different laws per province (in case it isn't Quebec).

many thanks as usual.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is your wife visa exempt to Canada? If yes, then you shouldn't have a problem except that as a visitor in Canada, she will not be covered by health care and you will have to pay for the birth which could amount to $5-10,000 depending on if there are complications etc. If she is not visa exempt, it is a question if she would be granted a visa to visit with you. Especially if they know she is pregnant. If they have an idea that somebody might want to overstay or might want to have a baby on their buck, they will not grant the visa.

Have you looked into having the baby in her country of nationality? Have you looked into if either the country where you live or her country of nationality will give citizenship if the baby would otherwise be stateless? Some countries have such an exception in their citizenship law.

As far as I know, there are no major provincial differences to having a baby in Canada. I do not know where you get the idea that it will take 14 months to get a passport for the child. Once you have the birth certificate, you could pay a bit more and have a passport in 24 hours. The normal processing time for a passport is 2 weeks. You may be confusing this with the process of getting proof of citizenship. If you had been born in Canada and could pass on citizenship and your baby was born outside Canada, you would have to apply for this proof of citizenship which can easily take 14 months, however, this does not apply to your case.

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
@ Leon

Thanks Leon,

Lots of interesting points. my wife and i both live in Hong Kong and she's an Indian national. We know that we can't get citizenship for HKG and India is being investigated although it's not the best of passports to have to travel the globe.

She holds a multiple entry visa into Canada which is valid for another 2yrs. Sadly, we'll be footing the bill for the birth so in fact, the citizenship will be costing us 5-10K as birthing the child in HKG would incur negligible charges. Can I assume that Canada will not try to prevent a 7 month pregnant woman holding a visitors visa from entering the country. As a layman, I would be quite suspect of seeing such a case walk past me and apply the law to the fullest.

You may be correct in suggesting that I am confused. I did get a reply from the CDN consulate here suggesting POC could take up to 14months. i am mixing situations.

My next question will be, should India hold a similar position and the child is truly stateless, would Canada still hold fast and suggest it not offer a child of one of its citizens citizenship? ie. is the ruling that rigid? or does it take circumstances into consideration?

appreciate your continued advice.