+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have perm job, PGWP expiring, company wants to do PNP over LMIA

rrrrrah

Oct 2, 2015
Hi,
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have been in Canada since 2008. I completed a 4 year undergraduate program at the University of Toronto and a post-grad diploma after, at George Brown College (1 year). I was granted a 1 year post graduate work permit upon graduation from George Brown College. I started working at my current workplace 2 months ago, and recently got switched to a (full time) permanent position which meets the minimum wage levels, with job NOC code B. My PGWP is expiring in a month at the end of October. However, my company is unwilling to apply for the LMIA, and suggests the PNP instead. Would this be the best course of action, especially since it's the end of the year and the quota for this might be filled? Is there any other way out of this situation that I might not know of? I would really appreciate any information or advice on options I might have.
Many thanks in advance, Sara.

kelbc

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
11xx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
PNP:22-Oct-2013/CIO:11-Apr-2014
Nomination.....
10-Jan-2014
AOR Received.
09-May-2014
Med's Request
09-May-2014
Med's Done....
22-May-2014/Recv'd:30-May-2014
Passport Req..
26-Jan-2015 / DM: 27-Jan-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Feb-2015 (PP back 13-Feb-2015)
LANDED..........
14-Feb-2015
I guess you could do Express Entry with PNP to guarantee your invitation to apply. What I find odd is why you have been given a 1 year PGWP instead of a 3 year... If I were you I would contact CIC to find out if you can apply for an extension of 2 years to complete your PGWP to a 3 year one as this is what's being given to newly graduated undergrads... The fact that you did 1 year at George Brown is no reason as it is the complete amount of education you did in Canada that counts. So for you the total is 5 years and the maximum is 3 year PGWP so you should have received a 3 year one. Is your passport expiring around that date? Or 3-6 months after your PGWP? If so renew your passport first to extend your PGWP. That would then give you enough of a time window to go through PNP and wait for Express Entry processing. I don't see CIC having an issue extending either since you have full-time, permanent job paying market wages at NOC B level..

mapleback

Mar 15, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Jun 2015
Nomination.....
01 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
03 Dec 2015
Med's Done....
01 Dec 2015
Passport Req..
01 Feb 2016
VISA ISSUED...
16 Feb 2016
kelbc said:
I guess you could do Express Entry with PNP to guarantee your invitation to apply. What I find odd is why you have been given a 1 year PGWP instead of a 3 year... If I were you I would contact CIC to find out if you can apply for an extension of 2 years to complete your PGWP to a 3 year one as this is what's being given to newly graduated undergrads... The fact that you did 1 year at George Brown is no reason as it is the complete amount of education you did in Canada that counts. So for you the total is 5 years and the maximum is 3 year PGWP so you should have received a 3 year one. Is your passport expiring around that date? Or 3-6 months after your PGWP? If so renew your passport first to extend your PGWP. That would then give you enough of a time window to go through PNP and wait for Express Entry processing. I don't see CIC having an issue extending either since you have full-time, permanent job paying market wages at NOC B level..
A PGWP cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

Reference:-
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp