+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have anyone applied for a Work Permit from Inside Canada? Please help!

Tasha24

Jul 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am trying to get clarity on this matter. It seems that one may apply for a work permit from inside Canada in certain circumstances.

On CIC it states the following:

"Eligibility to apply from inside Canada
You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:
you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit (my parents are in Canada on work permits)
you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or ( I have a 6 month temporary visitor visa)
you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

Have anybody done this before? Can I do this? If so, how long will it take to process my application. I am a skilled level B.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Tasha24 said:
I am trying to get clarity on this matter. It seems that one may apply for a work permit from inside Canada in certain circumstances.

On CIC it states the following:

"Eligibility to apply from inside Canada
You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:
you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit (my parents are in Canada on work permits)
you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or ( I have a 6 month temporary visitor visa)
you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

Have anybody done this before? Can I do this? If so, how long will it take to process my application. I am a skilled level B.
Hi,

Yes it can be done.

(From the form 1249- "C" Initial Work permit or extension of a work permit). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1249E.PDF

But usually, people with visitor visa who found employers in Canada applied to Canadian visa offices outside Canada. So the change is from V (visitor) to a new visa stamped W (worker).

You would have to look for an employer who would file for a Labour Market Opinion in your name, submit your application for work permit together with the positive LMO.

Tasha24

Jul 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Job_seeker,

Thank you for the quick response, it is much appreciated.

Happy New Year!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
If you are from a visa exempt country.....you can 'flagpole'. If you are inside Canada have a job offer and LMO....you drive to the border...flagpole around and re enter Canada and your work visa will be issued.

This is what i did and it took about an hour and 150 dollars......there were no problems at all.

Good luck

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
angelbrat said:
If you are from a visa exempt country.....you can 'flagpole'. If you are inside Canada have a job offer and LMO....you drive to the border...flagpole around and re enter Canada and your work visa will be issued.

This is what i did and it took about an hour and 150 dollars......there were no problems at all.

Good luck
Yes it can be done this way too ("flagpole"), if you are from a visa exempt country and your job type does not require medicals.

colmforest

Sep 2, 2009
I hear they are far stricter at the border and assess your credentials a lot harder...is that true? Apparently if you send your app off to vegreville, it is more likely to go through without too many questions.

Anyone have any experience of that?

Thanks,

CC

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
colmforest said:
I hear they are far stricter at the border and assess your credentials a lot harder...is that true? Apparently if you send your app off to vegreville, it is more likely to go through without too many questions.

Anyone have any experience of that?

Thanks,

CC
Not really. If you have the LMO and a job contract (if needed), you'd be okay. You're from a country whose citizens don't need visa to enter Canada, aren't you?

Fi

Jan 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21/01/10
Hi,

I am in similar situation,
I am outside of Canada. I attempted to gain FSW but have had documents returned as I had the offer but no LMO. I now have both. Can I get temp work visa on landing at boarder - from UK and NOC 4151.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks
Fiona

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Fi said:
Hi,

I am outside of Canada. I attempted to gain FSW but have had documents returned as I had the offer but no LMO. I now have both. Can I get temp work visa on landing at boarder - from UK and NOC 4151.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks
Fiona
If you are a citizen of the UK, you don't need visa to enter Canada, so if you have a contract, and a LMO then you can get your work permit from the border.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Fi said:
Hi,

Appreciate any advice
Thanks
Fiona
Your inbox is full. Have a copy of your LMO and contract. You can get your work permit at port of entry. But you are a citizen of the UK eh? :) :)

Fi

Jan 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21/01/10
Hi

2 messages and I was full!!!

Yes I am a UK Citizen, I am just really concerned at spending the money ad being turned away at the boarder.

Has any one else gone this way?

Fiona

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Fi said:
Hi

2 messages and I was full!!!

Yes I am a UK Citizen, I am just really concerned at spending the money ad being turned away at the boarder.

Has any one else gone this way?

Fiona
Hmmm. I am not from a country whose citizens can enter Canada without a visa but since I already have a TRV stamped on my passport, I went to the border and got my work permit from there instead of applying to Vegreville, armed with a contract and LMO. But let's wait for those from "visa-free" countries.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just out of curiosity, why do you have a TRV if you are visa-exempt?

job_seeker said:
Hmmm. I am not from a country whose citizens can enter Canada without a visa but since I already have a TRV stamped on my passport, I went to the border and got my work permit from there instead of applying to Vegreville, armed with a contract and LMO. But let's wait for those from "visa-free" countries.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Karlshammar said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you have a TRV if you are visa-exempt?
I am not from a visa-exempt country that is why I have a TRV. :)