Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
Oh my god. So many question. Had you already paid? Are you going to get your money back? When did you apply - do you need biometrics done a well? What do you think you're going to do now that they need to leave the country for Bio and Medicals?

We got our bio request ONE DAY before the VAC closed. We are absolutely devastated....
They told my husband to go back to the bank and get his bank cheque refunded to him. We are lucky - we don't have to do biometrics because our application was submitted back in October (the biometrics took effect on Dec 31st and it is not retroactive).
I don't know what we are going to do though - my stepson won't finish his service until the end of July and there's no way we'll get him out again before then on a leave, and I am now too broke to buy two flights, plus hotel and costs in another country. It's a nightmare. My MP is on it though - they were horrified.

Slamee

Mar 22, 2019
They told my husband to go back to the bank and get his bank cheque refunded to him. We are lucky - we don't have to do biometrics because our application was submitted back in October (the biometrics took effect on Dec 31st and it is not retroactive).
I don't know what we are going to do though - my stepson won't finish his service until the end of July and there's no way we'll get him out again before then on a leave, and I am now too broke to buy two flights, plus hotel and costs in another country. It's a nightmare. My MP is on it though - they were horrified.
I don't understand why they would stop doing medicals. Its just money in their pocket (and they are RIPPING US OFF with the prices they are charging). It just doesn't make any sense to me how this is a justified "retaliation" - it's only harming their economy and our applications.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! Please please please keep me in the loop! I have gotten my MP involved as well, but I highly doubt they will be able to Affect any change. I said to them (biometrics related) so let me get this straight. You still have human beings working in the building. You still have all of the technology required to provide this service. You just aren't. How does that make any sense? Just reduce the amount of applicants you'll allow in a day, and have whomever is still in the building take on more responsibility...

AYAYAYAY

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
There is also the problem that there are very few countries that a Cuban can easily go to without a Visa. I have heard it's very difficult to go to Mexico.

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
I don't understand why they would stop doing medicals. Its just money in their pocket (and they are RIPPING US OFF with the prices they are charging). It just doesn't make any sense to me how this is a justified "retaliation" - it's only harming their economy and our applications.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! Please please please keep me in the loop! I have gotten my MP involved as well, but I highly doubt they will be able to Affect any change. I said to them (biometrics related) so let me get this straight. You still have human beings working in the building. You still have all of the technology required to provide this service. You just aren't. How does that make any sense? Just reduce the amount of applicants you'll allow in a day, and have whomever is still in the building take on more responsibility...

AYAYAYAY
The Doctors work for Canada. I'm sure it's Canada who ordered the stop to the Medicals as they did with Biometrics. It sounds more like Trudeau is kissing Trumps ass. They could still do medicals and biometrics and process applications at another location ie: Mexico. With the explanation of travel difficulty for Cubans, maybe MP's could affect a change. These decisions are made in Ottawa. Visa pickup would be more convenient in Havana, but sending a passport to another location is not that big of deal.

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
The Doctors work for Canada. I'm sure it's Canada who ordered the stop to the Medicals as they did with Biometrics. It sounds more like Trudeau is kissing Trumps ass. They could still do medicals and biometrics and process applications at another location ie: Mexico. With the explanation of travel difficulty for Cubans, maybe MP's could affect a change. These decisions are made in Ottawa. Visa pickup would be more convenient in Havana, but sending a passport to another location is not that big of deal.
I will call and email my MP on Monday as perhaps everyone here should.

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA

Please tell me how a Cuban can send a passport in a a pre-paid self addressed envelope ???
My husband sent me papers once with DHL. It took a month.

I would not trust my passport in Cuban mail. Would you?

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
I didn't word that very well. I meant do Medicals and Biometrics in Havana and process applications elsewhere.

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Please tell me how a Cuban can send a passport in a a pre-paid self addressed envelope ???
My husband sent me papers once with DHL. It took a month.

I would not trust my passport in Cuban mail. Would you?
Nothing is fast. If DHL is the only option then that is what I would use. Also my wife talked to a Cuban who works at the Canadian Embassy and he thinks they may come up with an option to drop off the passport at the embassy and they would send it.

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
Nothing is fast. If DHL is the only option then that is what I would use. Also my wife talked to a Cuban who works at the Canadian Embassy and he thinks they may come up with an option to drop off the passport at the embassy and they would send it.

But...I don’t believe you can go to a DHL in Cuba and buy a pre-paid stamped envelope in which the Mexico processing Center would mail your passport back. You can send a passport to Mexico with DHL, but how do you get it back?

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
I have just gotten off the phone with my MP's office.
She has basically confirmed what we know. The "paper" applications are being sent to Mexico. Why can't they "scan" the papers and email them???
For my husband and I, she said it could be three more months for movement. We were "pending final review".
After the final review, the paperwork will be mailed back to Cuba and he can pick up the visa at the Embassy.

Oh yeah...and the Canadian government revoked the doctor's licenses. This is why they can no longer do medicals in Cuba.

kesgurl

Oct 17, 2015
I have just gotten off the phone with my MP's office.
She has basically confirmed what we know. The "paper" applications are being sent to Mexico. Why can't they "scan" the papers and email them???
For my husband and I, she said it could be three more months for movement. We were "pending final review".
After the final review, the paperwork will be mailed back to Cuba and he can pick up the visa at the Embassy.

Oh yeah...and the Canadian government revoked the doctor's licenses. This is why they can no longer do medicals in Cuba.
When did you apply?

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
My MPs office was on the phone with the IRCC all day. They report back that the IRCC has never dealth with anything like this before, and they are starting to realize what a colossal mess it is (that's good news). They also promised to call my MP back on Monday or Tuesday with a path forward for my husband and stepson. I will tell you that the letters to MPs, the Immigration Minister and the Prime Minister are really getting their attention and we should keep it up. Anyone who has not written, please write. This affects everyone - even if your spouse is in Canada one day they will want their family to visit them.
It's interesting that they revoked the doctor's panel license. I was told that the embassy FIRED all the local staff. I smell kickbacks or something shady.

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
I think that this is basically a $hit $how. I think they are just spouting theories and not facts. I hope that they will fix this next week.

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
The Doctors work for Canada.

I want to interject here. The doctors do not work for Canada. They work for the Cuban government - just like all the Cubans who work in the Embassy. They are not paid by Canada. The Government of Canada pays the Government of Cuba and the Government of Cuba pays the doctors and embassy employees.