+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has X been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?

Jul 19, 2018
Hi,Post my graduation I have been working in Canada since May 2020.
I was issued PGWP which expired on July 2022.
So In July 2022 my employer applied for a LMIA and a closed work permit on my behalf.

For the following question -> Has X been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?
Do I answer this as 'Yes' or 'No'?
Since I was worked with same employer for more than a year but when I started working I was PGWP and then switched to closed work permit which was issued in August 2022 so technically not a year.

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Your answer is 'No' as according to your current closed WP you haven't completed one year. It doesn't really matter to you as you will get 50 points anyway due to having LMIA. That question is actually affecting LMIA-exempt streams where that one year is crucial to get 50 points.

Jul 19, 2018
Your answer is 'No' as according to your current closed WP you haven't completed one year. It doesn't really matter to you as you will get 50 points anyway due to having LMIA. That question is actually affecting LMIA-exempt streams where that one year is crucial to get 50 points.
Thanks for clearing this.
So since I have been working for the same employer under 2 different work permits without a break in employment would I need to add 2 sections in the work history column?
Since there 2 different offer letters given, 1 for PGWP and the other when creating the LMIA for the closed work permit