+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone landed via Amtrak (train) in Vancouver.

DR Who

Nov 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Apr-2011
Doc's Request.
PER 18-May-2011
AOR Received.
RBVO 17-June
File Transfer...
In-Proc 16-July
Med's Request
19-Jul-2011
Med's Done....
16-Aug-2011, Med received in Ecas 9-Oct-2011
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
PPR 1 on 29 Oct -2011/ PPR 2 on 7 Nov - 2011
VISA ISSUED...
9-Nov-2011
LANDED..........
29 May 2012
I am contemplating landing in Vancouver this summer by traveling to Seattle by plane and then taking Amtrak to travel to Vancouver. I think my kids will enjoy the train segment of the trip. I would like to find out whether anyone has gone down this route and if all was well with landing formalities. I am concerned that perhaps when entering by train the landing formalities may get complicated.

Please share your experience.

Thank you,

Dr. Who.

ride_thelight

Nov 1, 2009
New York, NY
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Hi there
I did land in Canada by Amtrak / Canada VIA rail. Amtrak is taken over by Canadian VIA Rail at the border. I took it from New York to Toronto. The journey is about 11 hours.

The landing process was smoother than I expected. At the border station, Canadian customs agent looked at my Perm Res Stamp, temp perm res dococument(what the CIC sent you by mail) and proof of funds (greater than $10k for 1 person), asked if I was carrying anything else.
At this point I was not moving, just doing my landing.
It took no more than 10 minutes for them to look at my docs and fill out paperwork.

Make sure you have a Canadian address to get the permanent residence card mailed to.

All the best, let me know if you have any questions.