+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone had experience appealing a rejected visitor visa extension with COVID as the reason?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Honestly, I have no idea what made them think to sell everything. Now it's just more burden on my fiancée for not researching this before they came. The plan if Canada didn't work out was to come back to Israel and stay at friends houses until their subsidized housing was ready. ( So it was a little thought out i guess ) But now, due to covid, they cant stay with friends. And now because of the bad planning it is on my fiancés conscious that he has basically sent them to their doom.
So they DID have the plan to settle in Canada long-term? I'm not sure how they or your fiance thought that would happen. Were there any plans to sponsor them for PR?

I'm not as well-versed or familiar with judicial reviews or H&C applications, but this is also an unprecedented case. In my personal opinion, covid should be a valid reason, and pretty sure your in-laws aren't the only ones in this situation (except for the part where they sold everything). Not sure if they explained the overall covid situation in Israel well when they applied for extension, or if your fiance provided enough proof that he can financially support their stay, but I might expect IRCC to have a bit more leeway with extensions than in pre-pandemic circumstances. The hope is that they do reward people who are honestly trying to maintain legal status while being stranded, because I'm sure there'll be a lot of special snowflakes who think they can stay in Canada indefinitely on a TRV, without properly reporting/extending, until this dies down.

Reactions: scylla

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
Honestly, I have no idea what made them think to sell everything. Now it's just more burden on my fiancée for not researching this before they came. The plan if Canada didn't work out was to come back to Israel and stay at friends houses until their subsidized housing was ready. ( So it was a little thought out i guess ) But now, due to covid, they cant stay with friends. And now because of the bad planning it is on my fiancés conscious that he has basically sent them to their doom.
You cannot appeal to the Visa Officer if the Temporary Visa extension request is denied. The only appeal available is a judicial review if and only if there was an error in law or fact which is quite hard to prove.

If they sold everything that they have then this will show the VO that they do not have the intent to return back to their home country and would be a strong basis for denial. The VO will also question if the people applying for extension will have enough money to sustain themselves.

rayrayray

Sep 23, 2016
Would wait to see if they do get a refusal before panicking but you really need to be making a longterm plan after that knowing they can’t remain in Canada as a visitor forever. Would try to apply to restore and apply for another extension. If anything it will just delay things. Make sure they at least have some medical insurance that covers emergencies if money is limited because an expensive bill is the last thing they/you need.
What if they got a US visa and exited Canada towards the end of 6 months and re entered again? Would that help them get another 6 months? Just a thought. I have a feeling someone somewhere must be trying this out.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if they got a US visa and exited Canada towards the end of 6 months and re entered again? Would that help them get another 6 months? Just a thought. I have a feeling someone somewhere must be trying this out.
Would not suggest this. It is much riskier because you can be denied reentry.