+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anybody traveled to Canada in recent time from USA and returned back using Automatic Revalidation Process?

Sri91

Jan 8, 2019
Hi,

I have COPR till August 8th and currently on Valid H1B in USA. Has anyone traveled to Canada from USA for PR activation and returned back to USA using automatic re-validation? I have submitted a question to US Customs and this is what they had to say:

Air travel is still allowed. You have to contact Canadian customs for their rules. Pleas see the links and information below.

Mark

Notification of Temporary Travel Restrictions Applicable to Land Ports of Entry and Ferries Service Between the United States and Canada
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/24/2020-06217/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service

Canadian customs (CBSA):
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Automatic revalidation is not the same as applying for a new visa. You cannot take advantage of automatic revalidation if you have applied for a new nonimmigrant visa.

Certain temporary visitors holding expired nonimmigrant visas who want to re-enter the United States may be admissible under, but not limited, to the following circumstances:

• Departed the United States for brief travel to Canada or Mexico of 30 days or less
• Has a valid (unexpired) admission stamp or paper Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record endorsed by DHS

A person is eligible for automatic visa revalidation with the following conditions:

• Nonimmigrant status continues to be valid (such as the Form I-129 for nonimmigrant workers)
• Absence from the United States was 30 days or less
• Did not visit any country other than Mexico or Canada during those 30 days or less
• Does not have a pending (or rejected) application for a new visa
o It is not possible to renew a nonimmigrant visa within the United States. A person on a nonimmigrant visa may travel to another country to apply for a new visa. Entry to the United States is not allowable until the new visa is issued
• The person is not a citizen of one of the countries designated by the United States as a state sponsor of terrorism
o As of 2017, the State Sponsor of Terrorism list includes four countries:
• Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) - designated on November 20, 2017
• Iran - designated on January 19, 1984
• Syria - designated on August 12, 1993
• Sudan - designated on December 29, 1979
Cuba was removed from this list on April 4, 2015

The automatic revalidation provision of United States immigration law is described under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) in both 8 CFR 214.1(b) and 22 CFR 112(d).

Please reply to this incident if you have other questions or concerns regarding automatic revalidation.

Thank you again for contacting our office.

Sri91

Jan 8, 2019
Hi,

I have COPR till August 8th and currently on Valid H1B in USA. Has anyone traveled to Canada from USA for PR activation and returned back to USA using automatic re-validation? I have submitted a question to US Customs and this is what they had to say:

Air travel is still allowed. You have to contact Canadian customs for their rules. Pleas see the links and information below.

Mark

Notification of Temporary Travel Restrictions Applicable to Land Ports of Entry and Ferries Service Between the United States and Canada
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/24/2020-06217/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service

Canadian customs (CBSA):
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Automatic revalidation is not the same as applying for a new visa. You cannot take advantage of automatic revalidation if you have applied for a new nonimmigrant visa.

Certain temporary visitors holding expired nonimmigrant visas who want to re-enter the United States may be admissible under, but not limited, to the following circumstances:

• Departed the United States for brief travel to Canada or Mexico of 30 days or less
• Has a valid (unexpired) admission stamp or paper Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record endorsed by DHS

A person is eligible for automatic visa revalidation with the following conditions:

• Nonimmigrant status continues to be valid (such as the Form I-129 for nonimmigrant workers)
• Absence from the United States was 30 days or less
• Did not visit any country other than Mexico or Canada during those 30 days or less
• Does not have a pending (or rejected) application for a new visa
o It is not possible to renew a nonimmigrant visa within the United States. A person on a nonimmigrant visa may travel to another country to apply for a new visa. Entry to the United States is not allowable until the new visa is issued
• The person is not a citizen of one of the countries designated by the United States as a state sponsor of terrorism
o As of 2017, the State Sponsor of Terrorism list includes four countries:
• Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) - designated on November 20, 2017
• Iran - designated on January 19, 1984
• Syria - designated on August 12, 1993
• Sudan - designated on December 29, 1979
Cuba was removed from this list on April 4, 2015

The automatic revalidation provision of United States immigration law is described under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) in both 8 CFR 214.1(b) and 22 CFR 112(d).

Please reply to this incident if you have other questions or concerns regarding automatic revalidation.

Thank you again for contacting our office.
thoughts anyone?