+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H4 Visa for Canadian citizen?

Dhivya95

Nov 20, 2019
Thank you @Rawhide and @shevas2003 for quick reply.

So, when I go to land border, all I have to mention is that I need H4 status and show my husband's documents to the officer.

Do you know usually how long is the procedure? Will they give it within an hour or so?

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018

So, when I go to land border, all I have to mention is that I need H4 status and show my husband's documents to the officer.

Do you know usually how long is the procedure? Will they give it within an hour or so?
You have to say your accompanying your husband to USA who is working in USA on h1b visa and coming to stay in USA with him. Processing will happen inside to building and it may take up to 30 mins depending on rush.

Reactions: Dhivya95

shevas2003

Star Member
Feb 24, 2022

I'd recommend carrying your marriage certificate, they may not ask for it but always good to have as a proof of your relationship with your spouse! Time depends on traffic, etc. You will need to park and go inside the building to get the H4! And every time you cross the border, it's the same process!

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
I'd recommend carrying your marriage certificate, they may not ask for it but always good to have as a proof of your relationship with your spouse! Time depends on traffic, etc. You will need to park and go inside the building to get the H4! And every time you cross the border, it's the same process!
Once you get I 94 on spouses Canadian passport you don’t have to get into the building and you should be cleared from preliminary checkpoint as long as I 94 is valid

ankurmk86

Apr 20, 2023
Hi, Can anyone who got H4 status at land border share their experience?

My husband is H1B holder and I am Canadian citizen. And I am planning to go to USA next month for couple of days and will move permanently in about 2 months.

We called land border close to my home (in BC) and they mentioned that I have to go to US consulate for H4 and I got confused as that's not what I have been reading in forums. Not sure whether the officer didn't know or am I misunderstanding.

My questions are as follows.

1. Can I get H4 status at land border and anyone's experience will be helpful. Documents required to get H4?

2. If I can get it at border, is it possible to return to Canada either on the same day or next day after change in status?

Any guidance will be helpful.

1. Yes, you will get it at the land border. Probably will need marriage certificate and spouse's I797
2. Same day is also possible, but I would wait one night. Don't believe it would make much difference.

I have done both above multiple times.

Reactions: Dhivya95

Dhivya95

Nov 20, 2019
Thank you everyone for answering my questions.

I just wanted to update that I got my H4 yesterday at land port of entry and the process inside the building was quick. They asked for my spouse's I797 and marriage certificate and the whole process took less than 15 minutes. And we returned to Canada on same day without any issues.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

I just wanted to update that I got my H4 yesterday at land port of entry and the process inside the building was quick. They asked for my spouse's I797 and marriage certificate and the whole process took less than 15 minutes. And we returned to Canada on same day without any issues.
Congratulations. quick question. Once you get the H4, is it not needed you need to enter the country? you can also return back to Canada .

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Congratulations. quick question. Once you get the H4, is it not needed you need to enter the country? you can also return back to Canada .
There is no other option but to enter USA after getting H-4, take the next exit and U-Turn

Reactions: swan0206
Aug 4, 2022

Hello quick question please. Is your H4 stamp look same like the regular H4 visa that we get in Indian passports? Or it is anything different?
I have two kids who are Canadian citizens and they were never given H4 status at the POE. They were admitted on B1 status as the officer was not aware of granting H4 at the POE.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Hello quick question please. Is your H4 stamp look same like the regular H4 visa that we get in Indian passports? Or it is anything different?
I have two kids who are Canadian citizens and they were never given H4 status at the POE. They were admitted on B1 status as the officer was not aware of granting H4 at the POE.
There is no VISA on Passport for dependents entering US as dependent of H1B if they are Canadian citizens. However I 94 website should show correct status of entry.

jmj_utd

Mar 15, 2023
I see everyone has done the H4 process at the land border. Has anyone done it one of the pre-clearance airport like Toronto Pearson Airport? is it the same process? can we do it at the airport or is it something that can only be done at the land border?

enmolt

Jul 15, 2019
Hello guys,

Situation: I am a naturalized Canadian citizen and my wife is an Indian citizen currently on H1B. I moved with her in the month of March as a visitor and currently, we are living in the bay area. Now past 4.5 months, I am thinking to get an H4 visa.

Job situation: I am currently working for my Canadian employer, I work in a remote IT job so I can work from anywhere, and I am trying to get a new job and convert to TN but with the current job market I got no success.

So, we are planning to drive to the Seattle/BC port of entry and get H4 based on my wife.

Can anyone suggest me any unfavorable questions from the CBP as I have been living in the US for the past 4 months and going to the border for the H4 visa, or if someone has different advice?

Badal_11

Mar 21, 2013
I see everyone has done the H4 process at the land border. Has anyone done it one of the pre-clearance airport like Toronto Pearson Airport? is it the same process? can we do it at the airport or is it something that can only be done at the land border?
Were you able to get an answer?