+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H4 Interview Waiver Experience

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes these are the questions.
It was not pulled from the DS-160.
I filled in the answers myself when I was about to schedule. For me, only the first and last questions were ‘No’. All others were Yes.
Thank you
Thankyou, seems like these questions have been forcely pushed to everyone’s profile who have scheduled their interviews a while ago and will be able to change answers only if you cancel the scheduled interview date. The new system came into place a month back. Checked with one of my friend who has his interview scheduled as well. He said he didn’t remember answering these questions neither did i.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi !! I am Canadian PR..want to apply for US tourist visa ..can I get interview waiver for that? I was on H4 2yrs back and stamping is from india..
I do not think you would get interview waiver. Your previous visa class has to be also the same type that you are applying now which is not the case. However, if you havent started making a profile and paying the fees online, you can give a try. If already paid fee and schedule you can still take a risk by cancelling it and answering those above 6questions which will decide your interview waiver thing.

Reactions: 4RyL

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
This forum has been extremely helpful in sharing much required information about sailing through the H1 / PR waters.

I stay in Canada on PR with family and commute to the US. With offices reopening, we applied for my wife's H4 Visa so she can relocate to the US with me and we can stay together as family. For this stamping, we requested expedited appointment in Canada. Though the earlier stamping was not done in Canada, she got interview waiver. They requested necessary documents by post and issued Visa within 2 weeks of time.

Hope this information proves helpful to other members. Hence posting.
This forum has been extremely helpful in sharing much required information about sailing through the H1 / PR waters.

I stay in Canada on PR with family and commute to the US. With offices reopening, we applied for my wife's H4 Visa so she can relocate to the US with me and we can stay together as family. For this stamping, we requested expedited appointment in Canada. Though the earlier stamping was not done in Canada, she got interview waiver. They requested necessary documents by post and issued Visa within 2 weeks of time.

Hope this information proves helpful to other members. Hence posting.
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience. While scheduling for H-4 in Canada what petition number did you enter? Your H-1B petition number or your spouse's I-539 petition number?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience. While scheduling for H-4 in Canada what petition number did you enter? Your H-1B petition number or your spouse's I-539 petition number?
I always use H1's petition number.

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
I always use H1's petition number.
Thank you for your reply. I recieved interview waiver for my wife's H-4. It mentions that a marriage certificate has to be sent which is usually a requirement for H-4. Did you send the original or a photocopy of the marriage certificate?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you for your reply. I recieved interview waiver for my wife's H-4. It mentions that a marriage certificate has to be sent which is usually a requirement for H-4. Did you send the original or a photocopy of the marriage certificate?
All are just copies except the passport. No originals(except passport).
Send colour copy.

The email you would have received for "US Visa Personal Courier-In Instructions" will specify that its a copy of documents.
-------------Courier email notes---------
"If you are eligible to send your documents via courier, you must send your current valid passport and the prior passport containing the most recently issued U.S visa (if applicable), as well as the DS-160 confirmation page and copies of any other supporting documents. "

SUB

May 14, 2014
I see that my wife and son are eligible for H4 visa waiver. However, I don't see the next step or link requesting documents. Please provide input on how to access that page or link. Thank you

vibhasna123

Jan 17, 2022
@SUB Do you have an update on where you are in the process? I'm in a similar situation; I'm a Canadian PR holder and I'm applying for the H4 and my husband is on H1B working in the US.

I created an account on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv, indicated that I am eligible for the waiver and paid the visa fees of 190 CAD. After that I got an email with a generic list of documents which need to be posted to the embassy. No specific documents were mentioned in the email so not sure how to proceed.

Please update your situation here. Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@SUB Do you have an update on where you are in the process? I'm in a similar situation; I'm a Canadian PR holder and I'm applying for the H4 and my husband is on H1B working in the US.

I created an account on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv, indicated that I am eligible for the waiver and paid the visa fees of 190 CAD. After that I got an email with a generic list of documents which need to be posted to the embassy. No specific documents were mentioned in the email so not sure how to proceed.

Please update your situation here. Thanks!
Your list should have everything thats required. Just send what was asked.

Generic list along with copy of principal I797 should be enough.
I assume your generic list has marriage certificate.
Send only copies(except passport(s)).

You should either ask question on specific document or post that generic list. We cant answer on the list which is in your email which is not posted here to refer.

vibhasna123

Jan 17, 2022
@harirajmohan Here is the list from the email.

General Required Documents - For All Visa Types
The following documents are required for all visa types:

• Current Passport valid for travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements.)
  • Passport containing the most recently issued U.S. visa (if applicable).
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Confirmation and Instructions page printed from this website
  • One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photo taken within the last 6 months. Further details regarding Department of State photo guidelines can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html.
  • Accompanying family members, unless entering the United States for another purpose, should present a marriage certificate (spouse) and/or birth certificate (for unmarried children under 21), as applicable.
  • Copy of proof of your legal status in Canada

If you are attending an appointment in person, you must bring original documents. If you are eligible to send your documents via courier, you must send your current valid passport and the prior passport containing the most recently issued U.S visa (if applicable), as well as the DS-160 confirmation page and copies of any other supporting documents. Please see the section below for a list of supporting documents required for each visa type.
(H) TEMPORARY WORKER
Receipt Number for your approved petition as it appears on your Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker Form I-129 or Notice of Action Form I-797 from USCIS (does not apply to H1B1 visa applicants).
Job offer from United States employer and a Certified Department of Labor approved application (applies to H1B1 visa applicants only).

I was expecting the marriage certificate to be listed as a separate document as opposed to how it is right now, however, it is on the list.

I've read in some forums that H4 applicant's have been further asked to provide H1B's pay stubs and employment verification as well so I guess I was expecting to see it in the list.

Would it be a bad idea to send more documentation than what is mentioned in this email?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@harirajmohan Here is the list from the email.

General Required Documents - For All Visa Types
The following documents are required for all visa types:

• Current Passport valid for travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements.)
  • Passport containing the most recently issued U.S. visa (if applicable).
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Confirmation and Instructions page printed from this website
  • One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photo taken within the last 6 months. Further details regarding Department of State photo guidelines can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html.
  • Accompanying family members, unless entering the United States for another purpose, should present a marriage certificate (spouse) and/or birth certificate (for unmarried children under 21), as applicable.
  • Copy of proof of your legal status in Canada

If you are attending an appointment in person, you must bring original documents. If you are eligible to send your documents via courier, you must send your current valid passport and the prior passport containing the most recently issued U.S visa (if applicable), as well as the DS-160 confirmation page and copies of any other supporting documents. Please see the section below for a list of supporting documents required for each visa type.
(H) TEMPORARY WORKER
Receipt Number for your approved petition as it appears on your Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker Form I-129 or Notice of Action Form I-797 from USCIS (does not apply to H1B1 visa applicants).
Job offer from United States employer and a Certified Department of Labor approved application (applies to H1B1 visa applicants only).

I was expecting the marriage certificate to be listed as a separate document as opposed to how it is right now, however, it is on the list.

I've read in some forums that H4 applicant's have been further asked to provide H1B's pay stubs and employment verification as well so I guess I was expecting to see it in the list.

Would it be a bad idea to send more documentation than what is mentioned in this email?
Just send this red ones along with copy of I797.
I would not send paystubs unless asked.

Smartypreet24

Jan 18, 2022
Need help in getting appointment of H1B in Canada

Here is our situation:
I am currently on H4 visa and my spouse is on H1B. Our last stamping was done in India and Currently we have Canadian COPR which is yet to be activated. Would we be eligible for Dropbox or would have to take in person visa appointment? If eligible for dropbox ,then can we mail in documents from USA to Canada or have to go to Canada and then submit the documents? Having said this USA embassy mail back passports to USA or some authorize person has to pick from USA consulate to Canada?

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
My wife has her own H4 I-797 and I have my H1 I-797. The instructions don't ask for any such documents for her. Applying only for wife at the moment. Does she need to send both her H4 -I-797 and my H1-I-797 photo copies??

The instructions do not mention either. The instructions only seem to imply 797 is required only in the case of primary but its possible they ment to say anyone that has a H in the visa category.
"
(H) TEMPORARY WORKER

"

Appreciate your reply in advance.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
My wife has her own H4 I-797 and I have my H1 I-797. The instructions don't ask for any such documents for her. Applying only for wife at the moment. Does she need to send both her H4 -I-797 and my H1-I-797 photo copies??

The instructions do not mention either. The instructions only seem to imply 797 is required only in the case of primary but its possible they ment to say anyone that has a H in the visa category.
"
(H) TEMPORARY WORKER

"

Appreciate your reply in advance.
Yes, H1B 797 copy is mandatory for any H4 related petitions. Like H4 and H4 visa and H4ead.