+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b Open work permit - Check your portal for status (Repost)

kpadm3

Star Member
Feb 5, 2022
Hey guys! Just an FYI. My friends applied for the H1B open work permit back in July 2023. They got to know their application was approved earlier this month when they logged in to the portal. I don't think they received any kind of email notification. One was asked to directly land to complete the process. The other was asked to submit a passport within 30 days and good that he saw it within 10 days. So try to log in and check your status and post here as it'll be helpful for others!

HereiCome2

May 24, 2015
Hello, A friend of mine got this as well. Applied on July 16, received update on Jan 8 but did not notice until today. They have been asked to submit passports.

Does anyone know if they submit Passport tomorrow when they can get the passports back? Mostly theirs would go to NY processing office. Thanks. Appreciate any response on this question.

kpadm3

Star Member
Feb 5, 2022
@HereiCome2

Almost similar timeline July 16th applied, Jan 12th approved. He went in person to drop his passport at the NY VAC on Jan 22nd. He was given a tracking number and said 7-10 days. Just got off the phone with him. Today 9:15 am update was "received by the IRCC office" and at 2:30 pm was "dispatched to NY VAC". He opted for in-person pickup so mostly tomorrow he can pick up the passport. Hope this helps.

Reactions: HereiCome2

HereiCome2

May 24, 2015
@HereiCome2

Almost similar timeline July 16th applied, Jan 12th approved. He went in person to drop his passport at the NY VAC on Jan 22nd. He was given a tracking number and said 7-10 days. Just got off the phone with him. Today 9:15 am update was "received by the IRCC office" and at 2:30 pm was "dispatched to NY VAC". He opted for in-person pickup so mostly tomorrow he can pick up the passport. Hope this helps.
Thanks @kpadm3
Would you know if one of the family members passport be submitted later and how to get extension for that one person? 4 PPR letters, but one of them is travelling in March.

kpadm3

Star Member
Feb 5, 2022
@HereiCome2

I read the PPR letter and it says, "Your passport must be received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada within 30 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application. Please ensure that a copy of this letter is included with your passport."

Not sure how to get an extension from IRCC because there is no way of submitting a web form on the portal. My 0.02 is to send the passport and you're well within the anticipated travel date.

Reactions: HereiCome2

HereiCome2

May 24, 2015
Folks, sorry one more question. If PPR does not ask for photos, would they still ask for photos for open work permit along with passports?

thanks

sivaunique197

Jan 28, 2024
I have applied canadian open work permit for H1b visa holders last year and it got approved. Would like to check, after getting the canadian work permit, what if I am not using the permit until it expires? Is there any implication in case if I apply it in future myself or thru company?