+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Humanitarian Ground with/or Without Failed refugee claim

EFK123

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
By the grace of the Almighty, we have finally received the eCOPR.. all thanks to the help and assistance of everyone in this forum, for keeping our morale going throughout this very very long process and guiding us at each step of the way.. Thankyou all for your help on this!

Timeline as below:

Application received: May 2022
In process: September 2022
Medicals received: June 2023 (medicals were done within the past 5 years, so technically that did not mean anything on its own unfortunately... No movement after that...
Requested ATIP notes (by applicant - not lawyer) in January 2024 - Received end February 2024

Got MP involved (by applicant - not lawyer) in mid March 2024- they took a few weeks to communicate with IRCC due to their volume of requests and finally came back to us mid April a few days after AIP
AIP: Early April 2024
P1: End April 2024
P2: May 2024
ECOPR: May 2024

The whole journey took exactly 24 months to the date, finally requesting ATIP notes, getting MP involved and making phone calls to IRCC maybe 3-4 times throughout the 2 years for status...and LOTS of patience.
I must also be clear that all due dates as per ATIP notes were in 2022 and 2023..we had passed the dates while almost everything was not started or in process...so I think the file "sat there" for many months doing nothing..

I was following people on this forum from 2021 on how to proceed and was very detailed in the application...spending countless hours through the threads - I went with a lawyer who was referenced by personal contacts focused on refugee and H&C....one who I finally trusted after speaking to several other lawyers in detail with all the information I had learned from this forum (I would have "interviewed" atleast 5 lawyers before this one with detailed questions).. though this lawyer told me that most people don't put in the work that we did (thanks to this forum!) so the application was done by us, but I trusted his guidance...so even if you are working with a lawyer, please do not rely on them - do your homework, question them on everything and work with them hand in hand...if you see them resisting, that's usually a red flag.. And it took us many months to prepare a solid case..

One big piece of advice that many people on this forum had mentioned earlier: To submit all the 2nd stage documents from the beginning (especially police certificate as that can take months)... I believe that may have saved us a lot of time after AIP, since we were able to reply almost immediately with a summarized email mentioning each point and the date it was sent 2 years ago and attach a scanned copy of everything to make it easy in one place (only updated financials). Also, at this point the MP office was following up, and we were almost at 23 months so that may have also pushed them to work on it possibly..

I would like to thank everyone for the guidance provided.. thanks to the likes of Ayanna, Katayoon, Pear23, SweetQueen, scylla, grahs1994, canuck78 for the critical thinking and many others who continue(d) to provide guidance throughout the years.... going through every step provided by each of you and many others while creating the application, and throughout the wait really helped through this long journey..
I have noted that many people are getting worried with more recent applications, but I was told that the longer it takes is usually a good sign sometimes.. and you don't want to be calling it too much to annoy them either.. not sure what the true story is... maybe it may have moved faster if I involved MP earlier? No idea.. sometimes you just never know what happens.... but wishing everyone the best of luck, lots of patience and keep strong in faith through this difficult journey..

idiris

Star Member
Aug 3, 2023
By the grace of the Almighty, we have finally received the eCOPR.. all thanks to the help and assistance of everyone in this forum, for keeping our morale going throughout this very very long process and guiding us at each step of the way.. Thankyou all for your help on this!

Timeline as below:

Medicals received: June 2023 (medicals were done within the past 5 years, so technically that did not mean anything on its own unfortunately... No movement after that...
Requested ATIP notes (by applicant - not lawyer) in January 2024 - Received end February 2024

Got MP involved (by applicant - not lawyer) in mid March 2024- they took a few weeks to communicate with IRCC due to their volume of requests and finally came back to us mid April a few days after AIP

The whole journey took exactly 24 months to the date, finally requesting ATIP notes, getting MP involved and making phone calls to IRCC maybe 3-4 times throughout the 2 years for status...and LOTS of patience.
I must also be clear that all due dates as per ATIP notes were in 2022 and 2023..we had passed the dates while almost everything was not started or in process...so I think the file "sat there" for many months doing nothing..

I was following people on this forum from 2021 on how to proceed and was very detailed in the application...spending countless hours through the threads - I went with a lawyer who was referenced by personal contacts focused on refugee and H&C....one who I finally trusted after speaking to several other lawyers in detail with all the information I had learned from this forum (I would have "interviewed" atleast 5 lawyers before this one with detailed questions).. though this lawyer told me that most people don't put in the work that we did (thanks to this forum!) so the application was done by us, but I trusted his guidance...so even if you are working with a lawyer, please do not rely on them - do your homework, question them on everything and work with them hand in hand...if you see them resisting, that's usually a red flag.. And it took us many months to prepare a solid case..

One big piece of advice that many people on this forum had mentioned earlier: To submit all the 2nd stage documents from the beginning (especially police certificate as that can take months)... I believe that may have saved us a lot of time after AIP, since we were able to reply almost immediately with a summarized email mentioning each point and the date it was sent 2 years ago and attach a scanned copy of everything to make it easy in one place (only updated financials). Also, at this point the MP office was following up, and we were almost at 23 months so that may have also pushed them to work on it possibly..

I would like to thank everyone for the guidance provided.. thanks to the likes of Ayanna, Katayoon, Pear23, SweetQueen, scylla, grahs1994, canuck78 for the critical thinking and many others who continue(d) to provide guidance throughout the years.... going through every step provided by each of you and many others while creating the application, and throughout the wait really helped through this long journey..
I have noted that many people are getting worried with more recent applications, but I was told that the longer it takes is usually a good sign sometimes.. and you don't want to be calling it too much to annoy them either.. not sure what the true story is... maybe it may have moved faster if I involved MP earlier? No idea.. sometimes you just never know what happens.... but wishing everyone the best of luck, lots of patience and keep strong in faith through this difficult journey..
CONGRATULATIONS.

Pear23

Sep 20, 2020

Timeline as below:

A huge congratulations to you and your family! May God bless you always. All the best with your new status (smiles)